White – Cyberwar and Cyberterrorism

Place comments regarding cyperwar and cyberterrorism here

44 Responses to “White – Cyberwar and Cyberterrorism”

• Rebekah Barnes:

Most modern terrorist groups today use the Internet to improve and streamline their “business processes.” There are many different ways terrorists are using the Internet today. Terrorists use the Internet for information dissemination by developing websites to publish their propaganda to supporters, to influence public opinion, and to notify enemies of their impending plans. Terrorists also use the Internet for data mining while searching through all of the data on the Internet to plan and recruit. They also fundraise online with fake charities online. Terrorists can now recruit on their websites by trying to get new members. Mobilization is now possible with roaming online chat rooms and cybercafes. Terrorists use the Internet for networking—common enemies can now easily share and coordinate their information with each other. The Internet allows terrorists to share their information with each other much easier—whether it be announcing upcoming events or sharing their “best practices.” Planning and coordination is now much easier for terrorist groups who use the Internet to communicate. Websites like Google Earth allow terrorists to gather information on potential targets for their next attack. Public web cams allow terrorists to monitor and study potential attack sites without actually being there.

Attacks launched in cyberspace…
    A. Are viruses
    B. Could take many different forms
    C. Are always aimed at destructing government computers
    D. Usually go undetected, and never disrupt media broadcasts

Answer: B

• Reading the list of ways terrorists can use the internet was very surprising. I always knew of the use of information dissemination and propaganda, but I never considered the use of Google Earth as a way to help plan potential attack targets. It is actually a bit scary. I always thought how fun it was to find my house using programs like Google maps, but I guess I never thought of the more negative uses of these sort of programs. Also the mention of the public web cams being monitored by terrorists. It makes you wonder if these things are worth having when they aid terrorists so well.

• Anonymous:

Before reading this chapter and watching the clip that we did in class, I never fully realized the numerous ways terrorists could attack us using technology. We think of traditional ways, using bombs, and even 9/11 style attacks that occur all over the world. The damage that terrorists could inflict upon us using cyberterrorism is endless and would probably surpass many of the traditional methods we assume they would use.

• Avatar of Dave Dave:

• I definitely have to agree with all the post above me. It is really scary to think about all the openings terrorists now have to gain information about us. It never even occurred to me that google map can do more damage than possibly good or even how terrorist groups from different parts of the world can find each other and plot attacks together.

• Cyber terrorism on the internet is an example of how some things that can be so helpful can also be very harmful. The internet is great in that it has many useful functions for billions of people and it has become an integral part of our existence. It also however has become a useful tool for terrorists to recruit new members, spread there propaganda, and promote their cause, all resulting in the death of innocent people.

• I completely agree as to how the internet has many useful aspects to it. I feel that the internet being used as a terrorist tactic has been over looked by many people. After 9/11 our awareness has risen and we have become more aware as a society. I never could have imagined that terrorist use google maps to plot their settings and other such plans. It has become clear to me that how realistic the use of the internet has become for terrorists let alone how realistic cyberterrorism has become. Its frightening to know that people can find you at your exact location, no matter where they are in the world.

• Isaiah Muhammed:

I can honestly say that I never realized how terrorism in some ways is actually spreading because of globalization. I can’t exactly remember the author but he was trying to express how the world is becoming more flat because of different events that happened over the course of time. This is just another example of how the world is indeed flat.

• The author is Thomas Friedman. His first book on the topic is ” The World is Flat”. We saw a clip of him giving a sppech in one of our early classes. He also wrote another book called, “Hot, Flat, and Crowded”. It goes deeper into the ‘flattening’ of the earth, discussing the inherent problems associated with the convergence of globalization and our current climate crisis.
        I happen to believe that terrorism is actually hindering the birth of a truly global village, but I do see how you could argue that increased globalization may facilitate the growth of terrorism.

• I agree. The author was Thomas Friedman and he basically said all the positives of globalization. However, just as technology and wealth gets easier to spread with globalization, the negative effects such as terrorism also gets easier to spread.

• Prior to reading this section I never fully grasped the damage that terrorists can due through the use of the internet. Aside from allowing terrorists to communicate and coordinate better,the internet has provided terrorists with the ability to attack numerous targets such as nuclear power plants, electrical grids, transportation systems, and financial information.

• I wonder if there is every going to be some International Law created to stop Cyberwar fair…because if not then it can have damaging affects on the country that is being targeted.

• Cyberwar is an organized attack on by one country on another countries information and communication systems. They are most often done in conjunction with traditional military attacks and together these two can have devastating results. The goal of cyberwar is to gain an advantage over the enemy by disrupting their abilities and enhancing those of the attacker. Cyberwar attacks the following systems.
    -Command and control
    -Intelligence collection and distribution
    -information processing and distribution
    -tactical communications
    -troop and weapons positioning
    -friend or foe identification
    -smart weapons
    As the largest user of computer and information technologies in warfare the US must make sure that it is adept at stopping and responding to cyber attacks.

• Cyberwar…
      A. targets individuals
      B. is done by one nation against another
      C. is not very important in modern war
      D. is not very effective

Answer: B

• Isaiah Muhammed:

I’ve heard of cyberwar but never an example of it. Does anybody know of an example?

• There hasn’t really been a traditional cyberwar because their hasn’t really been a traditional war in the recent digital age. The closest example is when the US invaded Iraq they disrupted the country’s communication and defense systems, crippling their ability to find and take down American aircraft. The Iraqis had to rely on firing blindly in the sky en masse, hoping to hit something.

Another good example is when a Russian political group (with help from the Russian government, some believe) brought the country of Estonia to its knees when they literally crippled their entire network and communications system because the Estonians were planning to remove a Russian WWII statue.

Cyber attacks from China have also grown in frequency but the Chinese government denies any such attacks taking place. Though it is pretty certain that the attacks are targeting US defense and communication systems and come from China.

• Mark Quien:

I don’t know if this would necessarily be called a cyber war…but I know the United States in the middle east is waging a cyber war of sorts for the freedom of information in those areas. Middle eastern nations such as Iran stop prevent citizens from seeing certain websites by filtering them through their servers. However, the US trying to free the net has created proxys for them to use. It’s not so much attacking a country through these proxys, but rather combating the countries policies. In a sense they are trying to disable the restrictions of the internet. It may be cyberwar only because it’s one country dealing with another?

• In my opinion which could be wrong, I would not consider that cyberwar. To me, cyberwar is when another country invades/destroys another country’s communication and date fields to gain on the other or to hurt them. I think the example you are bringing up, is more so a government trying to take away its peoples rights and gain authority and control over them and the US is just trying to step in and help the people out.

• George Morton:

Cyberterrorism

Cyberterrorism is when terrorist groups use computers, computer networks, and the internet to threaten or intimidate. Political or religious groups can use things like viruses and trojans or the threat of crippling a country’s or other groups’ systems to coerce these groups into doing what they want. The danger comes because the threat can come from anywhere and can just be one person at a computer who doesn’t even have to leave his or her house. There are no bombs or other evidence to be found and the things that can be targeted are power plant systems, telephone systems, transportation systems, and water/oil pipelines. Cyberterrorists can cripple many of our systems with viruses to shut down many important functions in our infrastructure. Cyberterrorism can also include terrorists get secret data from our defense files, network with other terrorists, or raise and manage funds for terrorism by hacking.

Cyberterroism includes:
    A. terrorists networking online
    B. shutting down a country’s systems
    C. Data mining a country’s secret files
    D. All of the above

answer: D.

• The scary thing about cyberterrorism is the fact that ANYONE who knows what he or she is doing with a computer can learn how to become a cyberterrorist. Since cyberterrorism doesn’t necessarily involve blowing yourself up or putting yourself in any immediate physical harm, there is less of a fear factor when it comes to actually going ahead and doing it.

• I agree. Cyberterrorism is less threatening to the criminal than doing physical harm. Some people who are very savvy with computer systems could easily break in. And, tracing someone who is behind a computer screen is not an easy thing to do.

• Marissa Simmons:

I never considered the fact that these people are protected by a computer screen. They could be wreaking havoc in an entire other country and doing physical damage, but be simply sitting in their computer chair as it’s all happening.

• It is important to note the differences between cyberwar and cyberterrorism. Many people confuse the two, or worse yet, assume that they are the same thing.

Cyberwar is when the military of one government or country attempt to disrupt or destroy another government’s or country’s information and communication systems. The ultimate goal of cyberwar is to diminish an opponent’s communication capabilities. Often times, cyberwar is combined with more traditional war strategies in order to achieve victory.

On the other hand, cyberterrorism does not involve any governments. A cyberterrorist can launch an attack from anywhere in the world, and the ultimate goal is to cause fear, panic, and destruction (much like traditional terrorist attacks such as 9/11). Experts predict that cyberterrorism will likely become the weapon of choice in the future, as the world becomes more and more computerized.

What is the ultimate goal of cyberwar?
    A. To diminish an opponent’s communication capabilities (CORRECT)
    B. To cause fear, panic, and destruction
    C. Both A and B
    D. None of the above

• Thanks for clarifying that. I never distinguished the difference between cyberterrorism and cyberwar. Because of the keyword “terrorism” in cyberterrorism, I automatically assumed that the threat was to the government.

• I agree, thanks for clearing that up. Never really thought about it, kind of thought they were the same thing except cyberterrorism was an individual and cyberwar was a group. Guess thats wrong

• Ryan Fonio:

Wow, I think it is petty crazy that war and terrorism are now being mentioned in conjunction with the usage of computers. It kind of makes you realize how vulnerable computers actually make you, rather than help you these days. As our technology becomes more and more advanced, it seems as if we should become more nervous rather than in convenience.

• Meg McNicholas:

I never really heard about cyberwar or cyberterrorism before this chapter. Cyberwar is defined as an organized attempt by a country’s military to disrupt or destroy the information and communication systems of another country. Essentially, the goal of cyberwar is to turn the balance of information and knowledge in one’s favor in order to diminish an opponent’s capabilities and to enhance those of the attacker. Since the United States and other NATO countries are technologically advances, they are the most vulnerable to such attacks.
    Cyberterrorism is defined as the use of computer and networking technologies against persons or property to intimidate or coerce governments, civilians, society in order to reach political, relgious, or ideological goals. Cyberterrorism is launched by individiuals, not the government. The goal of cyberterrorism is to cause fear, panic, and destruction. I thought it was both interesting and somewhat scary that most modern terrorist groups utilize the internet.

• Connor Boyle:

I had never heard of these things either before reading this chapter. This seems like a serious problem which needs to be dealt with to ensure the safety of our country.

• Connor Boyle:

Cyberwar and cyberterrorism are attacks on a countries computer systems which have a malicious intent. A country’s information infrastructure or power grid or the internet could be attacked and this attack could have disastrous implications. Cyberwar is an organized attack by a country’s military to destroy the information and communication systems. This can be used to disrupt troop control and troop movement, which could result in the loss of many lives. Cyberterrorism is an attack launched by an individual or group. These attacks could destroy economic stability or infrastructure.

What kind of attack on information systems is perpetrated by a government?
    a. cyberterrorism
    b. cyberwar
    c. preemptive strike
    d. none of the above

Answer: b

• Cyberterrorism not only entails one group attacking a country or institution by using computer networks, it could also involve the terrorist organization using computer systems to help them recruit and train new members. With the Internet, terrorist cells can now create web sites advertising and spreading their ideas thereby reaching even more people than they could have before. They are also allowed to display exploits from their various acts of terrorism. Instead of relying on a news network, terrorist can now force their messages on the Internet community. Also, recruiting is made easier by the Internet for terrorists. Instead of meeting people face to face or holding recruiting meetings, terrorists can now just put up a website and then wait for people to come along and see the site and become interested and then learn how to join.

Question: What is called when a group uses computers to instill fear or terror in a population or institution?

A) Cyberwar
    B) Cyberattack
    C) Cyberterrorism
    D) Cyberhack

Answer: C

• Avatar of Ed Ed:

So when an individual hacks into a government network and instills fear and panic for a certain cause, its considered terrorism? But when the government does the same thing, it’s considered war? That’s a bit too hypocritical for my taste. I have always found it interesting how the word terrorism is only used when the action is against the desires of the story’s writer.

• It’s almost funny how Google is the best search engine but the question is for what. The betterment to attain information or to start WW3?

• Avatar of Joe Pawlicki:

Is there incidents of this in recent news?

• Marissa Simmons:

Cyberwar is basically just taking warfare on land to the computers. Clearly, this is something that would not have been a concern even just ten years ago, but wherever there is good, there is also bad. Computers have benefitted the personal and professional lives of so many individuals, but have also provided a new playground for wrongdoers. The point is to gain information on an enemy that can make a difference and that is useful to you as an opponent. The hope is that you push your opponent so far that it has no choice but to surrender to your desires. Cyberwar operates successfully due to the anonymity associated with it. People will always fear the unknown. People do use cyberwar to cause physical damage as well, so the term “cyberwar” really doesn’t describe the level of harm these intruders have the ability to cause.

Since the NATO alliance is the most technologically sophisticated war machine, this means:

A. they always win
    B. they have the most computers
    C. they are the smartest
    D. they are the most vulnerable

Answer: D

• Avatar of Ed Ed:

The basic difference between cyber war and cyber terrorism is that one is planned and is deemed culturally correct while the other is deemed evil and obscene. Cyber war concerns a military effort to gain a competitive advantage over another country by sabotaging its communication and information systems. It allows the user to separate the commanders from the troops and other things of nature, which in turn facilitates victory, but is conducted according to traditional methods and war laws. Especially in this age of technology and information systems, the country that is able to disrupt the communication of others is considered greater by far. Cyber terrorism, on the other hand, can be launched from anywhere in the world. It may have military goals, but the main objective is cause panic and fear within the opposing country or group. Cyber terrorism is also dangerous due to the fact that it is not subject to any rules of war and has almost no rational basis for action and since it can be done by almost anyone, it is almost impossible to prevent. Organizations that are entirely depended on information systems have the greatest risk of being a target for an attack. Men to your computers!

True or False
    Cyber terrorism is conducted according to traditional methods and laws of war.

Answer: False

• This brings up a interesting point. Can we say that Cyber terrorism can be launched from anywhere. Cyber war is one country attacking another. So would we be able to say that Cyber terrorism is almost one in the same because maybe one country disrupts another country to spread the ideas of there own.

• Jeremiah Kwagh:

Cyberwar is an organized attempt by a country’s military to disrupt or destroy the systems of another country. in its efforts to disrupt the opposing country’s systems, cyber war from a country can effect various capabilities including; command and control systems, intelligence collection and distribution systems, information processing and distribution systems, tactical communication systems and methods, troop and weapon positioning systems, friend-or-foe identification systems, smart weapons system. Cyberterrorism is the use of computers or other technologies by individuals and organized groups, not the government, to intimidate or coerce others.

• Jeremiah Kwagh:

what is the difference between Cyberwar and Cyber Terrorism?
      a)cyber war is caused by a government while cyber terrorism stems from individuals <—-
      b) none
      c) cyber terrorism implies physical damage to structures
      d) cyber war is the result of cyber terrorism

• If critical government systems got into the wrong hands it could create chaos and destruction. Cyberwar is the attempt of one country to maliciously attack the computer systems and networks of another nation. With almost anything and everything recorded in the cyber world a successful attack of cyber war could be very damaging. The United States and other nations take great precautions to avoid such an attack. But, countries are not the most dangerous party to infiltrate a government network. Cyberterrorism, which is the attack of government networks with the intend to cause havoc by an organization or group, could be catastrophic for governments. Although there are attempts to access to the government network everyday they hardly ever succeed.

What is the attack of one governments computer networks by another government called?

A. Cyberwar
    B. Cyberterrorism
    C. Fatal war
    D. none of the above

Answer is A

• Avatar of em5750:

There’s been an incident that is related to this issue: An article was published in the Wall Street Journal yesterday that discusses Iraqi militants who “hacked” (perhaps they should have used the term “cracked”) into U.S. drones and used video surveillance against the U.S. Although this was not done through the internet, it can be considered Cyberterrorism.

• kaying bonayon:

can you please give me an explanations to what should cyber terrorism and cyberwar should enforce and how could they be enforced? i need a reply ASAP.thanks :)

• My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not believe simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

• Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is really frustrating. A good site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this website, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.