Prof Patrick J Wasson, MS

Uncategorized

For Week 4

Hi Class,

I have recorded our class for Week 4 via Webex, which you will view in place of our in-person class in Week 4.

In the webex we cover For and While loops as well as a comprehensive review of what we have covered so far including forms, conditional logic, variables etc.  I will post all of the solutions to the challenges and exercises we have covered so far in Week 4.

In week 5 we will be taking Exam 1 on 2/13 which will cover everything we have covered so far in the class.  Please see the following MIS3501-Exam-1-Study-Guide, which contains everything that will be covered in Exam 1.  To prepare be sure you understand how to complete all of the challenges and exercises as they are very similar to what will be covered in Exam 1.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all about the Exam.

Also, be sure to check back here leading up to Exam 1 as I will be posting a few updates about Exam prep.

Pat

Week 3 Update

Hi Class,

Good work on the HTML quiz last night.  To recap: We took the HTML quiz and covered PHP conditional statements.

For next week: 1) Complete the Murach reading 2) Complete challenges 2.2 and 2.3

REMINDER: Next week we will be having our class via a pre-recorded web-ex, which you can view anytime you’d like week.  We will not be meeting in person next week.

In the Web-ex we will go over PHP Loops and Counters, review challenge 2.3 and 2.3 and complete exercise 2.3 and 2.4, and review for Exam 1.

We will be taking Exam 1 the next time we meet in person on 2/13/18.

Please look for the web-ex in the Week 4 Update which I will be posting shortly.

If you have any questions leading up to Exam 1 please do not hesitate to e-mail me!

Pat

Week 2 Update

Good work last night.  To recap we covered the basics of HTML and CSS, an introduction to PHP, some basic PHP skills, and how to move data from one page to another via a form request.  I have posted a WebEx video covering exercise 2_1 since we ran out of time.  Please be sure to view the video before next week’s class.

As a reminder the HTML quiz will be held next week and will cover all of the concepts covered in the HTML Essentials Training.  To prepare for the quiz be sure to review the HTML and CSS exercises as the quiz is very similar to these two exercises.  You will be required to download some starter code I provide to you, alter the code in netbeans based on a number of questions in the quiz and then upload your code to the class server (misdemo.temple.edu).

Additionally, I typically arrive at class around 5pm and am happy to answer questions before class.  However, I have another commitment shortly after 8pm, so I will need to leave class by 8pm typically, so for any class questions please try to arrive to class a bit early and ask me then as opposed to after class if possible.

If you are having any issues with software installations, using SSH, uploading you work to the class web server etc please feel free to reach out to the TA’s at: mis3501@temple.edu

For next week 1) Prepare for the HTML Quiz 2) Complete Challenge 2.1 3) Review the materials for week 3 including the slides and exercise

Have a great week!

Pat

Week 1 Update

Hi Class,

Good work last night!  It was great meeting everyone. To recap: We covered an overview of the course and went through course expectations and policies.  We covered an intro to web application development, XAMPP, SSH, Netbeans and started a new project using PHP/HTML, covering exercises 1.1 and 1.2.  Additionally, I have posted a webex covering the HTML Exercise as we ran out of time before completing that last night.

For next week:

1. Ensure you have obtained all of the course materials, including the textbook and have completed all of the technology setup including, SSH, XAMPP and Netbeans and have ensured everything is working as expected.
  2. Complete the Required reading for week 2, complete and post Challenge 1, review all of the exercises/materials from week 1, and prepare for next week by going through the posted materials for week 2
  3. Be sure to check the class website for announcements and all of the materials required for this class.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all!  See you all next week.

Pat

Welcome!!

My name is Patrick Wasson and I am the instructor for section 4 of MIS3501: Data Centric Application Development.  I am looking forward to meeting you all in class on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 5:30pm.

Our class will be held in Alter Hall, room 602.  There are a few things I’d like you all to complete prior to our first class.  Please see the posts below.

Looking forward to working with you all!

Pat

Important Links

For uploading assignments, viewing your code and working with the mysql database you will need to access the following links:

MySQL Database (Enter username/password to login): http://misdemo.temple.edu/phpmyadmin/

Your Websitehttp://misdemo.temple.edu/YOUR_USERNAME/

SSH Secure Shell (To Upload Code): Click Quick Connect

• Hostname: misdemo.temple.edu
  • Username: Your assigned username
  • Port: 22
  • Password: Your assigned password

MIS3501 Prep (to be completed before the first day of class 1/16/18)

Please complete the following before the first day of class:

#1 Install the software:

(Installation videos are WebEx streaming videos.)

For PC Users:

1. XAMPP ( INSTALLATION VIDEO)
  2. NetBeans IDE for HTML5 and PHP ( INSTALLATION VIDEO )
  3. Notepad++ ( INSTALLATION VIDEO )
  4. SSH client ( INSTALLATION VIDEO )

For Mac Users:

1. XAMPP ( INSTALLATION VIDEO )
  2. NetBeans IDE for HTML5 and PHP ( INSTALLATION VIDEO  ) (updated: 8/25/2016)
  3. Text Wrangler ( INSTALLATION VIDEO  )
  4. FileZilla ( INSTALLATION VIDEO )

#2 Get the textbook

Murach’s PHP and MySQL (2nd Edition) by Joel Murach and Ray Harris, ISBN 978-1-890774-79-0 (either print or electronic is acceptable)

#3 Assigned viewing

See https://lynda.temple.edu .  Watch portions of HTML Essential Training with James Williamson.

The portions to watch are (minimally):

• The Introduction
  • Section 1 (“The Importance of HTML” and “Basic HTML syntax” only)
  • Section 2 (All but “Understanding Content Models”)

Students may wish to watch sections 3,5,6, and 7 as well, as these will be assigned after the start of class.

See you all on 1/18/18!

Pat