Welcome
Welcome to MIS 3536, section 001, fall 2010. We will be using this site for all course related activities and materials. Please bookmark this page.
Recent Comments
Top Rated

Innovative Brain[/caption]

Business Week has an article called “How to Measure Innovation”, wherein it discusses a British team and their goal to create an index to asses innovativeness in each industry.

Claiming that the original standard of money invested in R&D does not correlate properly with innovations, since banking and other industries spend very little on R&D yet have made some of the largest leaps in their field. Some of proposed criterion for this new innovation index:

organizational change

investment in management and skills training

competitive performance over time

a peer review in which company executives both help to define the innovation indicators and rate each other.

“Innovation today is multidirectional, not only about producing new products but also about services, technical standards, business models, and processes.”

So I guess this is considered “innovative innovation”?

Article: http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jul2008/id20080716_335504.htm

5 Responses to “Innovative? Yes……………………………But How Innovative? A Possible Metric for Innovation.”

• This is a very interesting idea. Nice post! I would say that the first three (org change, investment, performance) have been considered before as measures. The idea of a peer review might just work. (BTW – your post also fits the evaluation category)

• What a great find! That’s a really interesting concept and it goes perfectly into what we were discussing last week. I believe measuring innovation with these factors would lead to a great metric to have as a framework for comparability. I also think the quote you included sums it up well; it would be interesting to see how much of the “multidirectional” they could cover with the measurement.

• I thought it was a very interesting article as well because it opens a whole new level of analysis. For example companies could use it to determine if new product lines are going in the right direction or if they will be profitable. However I think in order for the metric to be most useful or valid it has to be accepted and set as an international standard. This way all companies subscribe to the same set of criteria and therefore be most accurately compared.

• Brian Connelly:

Great article find. Being able to measure innovation allows for product success interpetation which allows for a better evaluation of risk on investment. Additionally, innovation can be benchmarked against metrics from other companies as technologies are reinvented or developed.