Welcome
Welcome to MIS 3536, section 001, fall 2010. We will be using this site for all course related activities and materials. Please bookmark this page.
Recent Comments
Top Rated

I don’t have a new innovation to post but instead had a hypothetical situation I thought would be interesting to discuss.

I was reading an article about the Nobel Prize winner Ivar Giaever.  He stated that in science the basic laws of nature are known and that there is essentially nothing left to discover.  He stated that many of the research being done today is simply expanding or improving upon existing truths.

Do you think the same rational can be applied to technology?  Will we ever reach a point where there are no more truly new innovative technologies that create entirely new markets?  Will there ever come a point where producers have to focus entirely on over and undershot consumers because all they can do is simply improve on older technology?

I think the idea has some validity.  It made me think just how many undershot and overshot technologies were mentioned as examples of new innovations in this class.  There are so many technologies like mobile phones for example that simply build upon older technology and there seems to be a technology that already exists for almost every task we have to do on a daily basis.

6 Responses to “The End of “New” Technology”

• than lam:

Innovations should enable affordability, productivity, and cost avoidance.

• I really like this post-definitely made me think. Although, I do somewhat agree that many of the examples we discussed in class fell into the ‘overshot and undershot’ categories, I do think that it is possible for new technologies to be developed that are completely unique to anything else that exists. I do not want to believe that all original inventions are done being created-with so many people in this world, I am sure that there are countless opportunities for new things to be introduced.

• I agree and disagree. The discussions in class have showed how difficult it is in this day and age to find truly new technology. I think a lot of future innovations will being improving upon older technologies or finding new uses for them. There is room for more discovery if people move into less developed territories for consumer use, such as space, and perhaps underwater.

• My initial thought when reading this post was the same as Skyla, in regards to human life moving into space and the depths of the oceans. Because we don’t know everything about these new environments I’m sure there are technologies that would work either in space or underwater that simply will not work in our environment. I’d like to think that there are inventions and technologies that have yet to be discovered, but at the same time a lot of the “innovations” we have discussed in class can also be described as the integration of several already existent technologies. I guess we will just have to wait and see…

• Most technology we have is progressive, being that it builds upon another previous invention. This seems to make sense since humans started out with nothing but our body, then after time we came to use tools, and we further expanded upon what tools we used and how we used them.

I would argue innovation is simply a new tool, or using an existing one in a different way.

Especially since almost every newer technology uses electricity and circuits, technically nothing new will ever be created if we view innovation in such absolute terms–unless we stumble upon some unthinkably complex alien technology.

• Thinking of technology and its life cycle, I can agree that most innovations are just reinventing the wheel. Disruption could be considered a truth, or law of technology, that as applied moves products to become better, more efficient, and fulfilling a void that exists rather if the market consists of the non-market, non-consumer, undershot, or the overshot user. The rational of technology truths and that all is known or will be known can be abstract if you considered the boundaries of technology. Having no barriers to reinvent, technologies that are merged become the new technology. An example of this is to look at the computer CPU and the undertaking of using the transfer of light and energy to increase speed (known as Optical Processor). Check out this article for more information at http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/israeli-cpu-computes-at-speed-of-light/.
    Light and physics are technology within themselves, but when applied to alternative arenas of technology, a new technology that exists. To further the rational, at what point can you say all truths are known when we have yet to master the universe and experiment in whelms that would bring new births to technology.