Welcome
Welcome to MIS 3536, section 001, fall 2010. We will be using this site for all course related activities and materials. Please bookmark this page.
Recent Comments
Top Rated

The Edge's facebook complaints

The Edge's facebook complaints----CLICK to view on Facebook.com

Everyone is probably familiar with the Edge and Temple’s student housing….and how incredibly slow and painful it can be to get anything fixed or replaced. The Edge has taken a bold, highly-innovative move and has allowed their facebook page to become a medium for resolving maintenance requests and allowing students to gripe in general. I think this is a great example of the asymmetrical motivations of various organizations, as they are coming in under the shield of more accessible and simpler customer service. This difference could potentially become their sword, as people might be drawn to the Edge because of their high-level of attentiveness to service issues.

However, I would also point out that this method places much pressure on the company to vigilantly watch the page and professionally respond to each post. Missing just one may cause an irate tenant who feels they were intentionally ignored. Plus, an outsider may come across their page and view the many service requests as a sign of a run-down building with a lot of unnecessary hassles involved.

I believe the Edge is right in taking this risk, however I would make a different page for service requests than the actual main page advertising their business though.

2 Responses to “Property Management 2.0 (at Temple)”

• I think your point is valid on applying the terminology towards methods, but what they are doing is not an innovative approach. Using Social Media as an outlet to organize and control building maintaince issues is not a new context or new market disruption of Facebook (which is not the subject).

• I didn’t mean using Facebook is innovative, since I agree to our generation this is the norm. I meant that putting/allowing customer gripes on your Facebook’s public business page IS innovative, as most companies would find it a bad idea to allow people to see possible negatives about the company.

To rephrase, the innovation is the Edge kind of putting itself on the “e-chopping block”, so that if they handle issues effectively and timely it will show what a strong and reliable establishment they are (boosting revenue). Yet this can easily backfire into a PR nightmare and kill their sales as well, this type of riskier strategy is what I thought was innovative.

(Possibly a consequence of the economic downturn and businesses taking more risk to retain market share.)