In this week’s discussion question, we’re going to delve into promoting brands and businesses through social media. Instead of an assigned reading, you’re going to do a little bit of research. Here’s the drill:
1) Pick a well-known brand. (If you need to jog your memory, check the Interbrand list of 2010 Top 100 Global brands.) Visit their corporate website. Is there any link to Facebook or Twitter? Head over to Facebook and Twitter and see what you can find over there for the company as well. Do they have any official presence?
2) Next, pick a second company or brand. Try to pick something a little smaller or, at least, something more specific. (Like a specific product or product line from a larger company.) Think about your favorite local hangout or a hard-to-find product or service you really like. Repeat the process of investigating their website (if they have one!) as well as what they’re doing on Facebook and Twitter.
Okay, now you’re all ready to write something up. What is your impression…
- Do the companies do a good job of promoting themselves through social media?
- What do you think they hope to achieve via a Facebook or Twitter presence?
- If you were in charge of a company’s Facebook or Twitter initiative, how would you measure if it was a success?
Task 11 Completion Criteria (25 points)
Post a comment below with a link to your well-reasoned post on this discussion topic.