The Social Media Innovation Quest
Congratulations to Hanh Huynh for finishing at the top of the leader board in the inaugural MIS3538 Social Media Innovation Quest. Hanh was consistently among the top point leaders all semester and finished at the “Ultimate” level. Please visit her blog, Welcome to Hanh (Michelle) Huynh’s blog, and join me in congratulating her.
Here’s another bonus task for the class and an announcement about a set of interesting events going on next week. First, the event:
Check out this really cool event, brewing right in our Philly backyard!
- Philly Tech Week – there will be 45 events, many of which should be right up your alley as an MIS student.
- Switch Philly – April 26th at 6pm hosted by tech news blog, Technically Philly. This is one of the signature events during Philly Tech Week. There will be 5 Philly tech companies that will demo their latest and greatest for 7 minutes each. See Ohanarama, cWyz, Laan Labs and others show off Philly’s next big thing at The Wharton School of Business. The event will last just over an hour, and then they will head over to the Blockley Pourhouse for happy hour afterwards. Tickets are $9 but they are offering a special deal for Temple students and faculty members. Get your tickets for $5 by using the coupon code “Temple” when you buy your ticket on Ticketleap today. Most of the other Philly Tech Week event s are free to attend.
Check out the Philly Tech Week schedule. I counted five different events on the Temple U. campus and many others conveniently located nearby neighborhoods.
BONUS10: Submit a link to a blog post that describes a Philly TechWeek event.
BONUS30: Submit a link to a blog post that describes a Philly TechWeek event and include original video or at least 2 original photos.
I received the following email from Google Online Marketing Challenge today:
We are very excited to have you on board.
Thank you for your patience with our account crediting process – we would like to apologize for any delays caused by our safety and security procedures.
If any of your student teams are experiencing this issue, please fill this form to send us the Customer IDs of the students that have not been credited yet. Allow us 48-96 hours before the credit is fully applied.
- All students’ accounts MUST BE verified by professors. Please check your Spam folders regularly to make sure you verify your student groups.
- Your students AdWords accounts MUST BE set up in US dollars ($ – USD) with no billing information.
- Student MUST update the Student Dashboard with their Customer ID information.
We are doing our best to answer all your queries in the support email address, please use this form for any credit related queries.
Thanks for your understanding and happy challenging!
It’s almost as good as a rerun: FoxCapture for Thursday’s class.
Check out the blogs of this week’s presenters:
Group Quest Point Standings
Congratulations to Team S for topping the table and to FoxSchool5Forces for a strong showing!
Individual Quest Point Standings
Congratulations to Hanh Huynh for a Brilliant week. Who will be first to top 1000 points?
Photo credit: 11! by Bruno Fontes, on Flickr”
Congratulations to a new Quest Point leader!
Jason Hamilton takes the lead and inaugurates the Brilliant level!
Congratulations to everyone else who also leveled up: Shakeena, Myle, Jared, Tim, Sulay, Kiara, Tom, Matt, Anika, Alex, Tae, and Aquanna. Tom and Anika get special mention for leveling-up two weeks in a row!
Check out the blogs of this week’s presenters:
Group Quest Point Standings
Congratulations to Team S for topping the table and to Hello Kitty! for being this week’s top-movers!
Photo credit: Number 10 by yoppy, on Flickr”
Here’s a list of all the key remaining deadlines and a new set of group quest tasks.
The final date/time for earning group quest points is 11:59pm on Tuesday, April 26. This is an extension from the date originally stated in the course syllabus. Group tasks may be also be completed and submitted until May 5, 2011 for course credit.
Submit all of these tasks via the Group Task Submission Form.
Group Project Tasks and Deadlines
Task CAMP1: Pre-campaign Summary — email to Prof. Johnson (and submit to organization and Google for GOMC) by April 1 for 120 points; by April 4 for 80 points; 40 points thereafter. See the Google Online Marketing Challenge student guide for specific details on what should be in the pre-campaign summary report. Follow this format even if you are creating and promoting a Facebook page.
Task CAMP2: Post-campaign Summary – email to Prof. Johnson (and submit to organization and Google for GOMC) by April 23 for 120 points; by April 26 for 80 points. NOTE: Due by May 5 for course credit. See the Google Online Marketing Challenge student guide for specific details on what should be in the post-campaign summary report. Follow this format even if you are creating and promoting a Facebook page.
Group Task 4: (GTASK4; 25 group quest points): Follow Google Inc. and/or the business you are recruiting for on Twitter and show their tweets on your blog.
Group Task 5: (GTASK5; 50 QGPs) Write a blog post where each member comments about their experience in the Google Online Marketing Challenge (or promoting your Facebook page) and what they expect to learn (or have learned) from it.
Group Task 6: (GTASK6; 25 QGPs) Write a blog post focused on (a) information about the business you are using for the Google Online Marketing Challenge (ex. Founder, history, locations, industry information etc.) or (b) introducing your Facebook page.
Group Task 7: (GTASK7; 15 QGPs each; max 3x per week) Write a detailed blog post about your progress in (a) the Google online Marketing Challenge or (b) in promoting your Facebook page.
Thank you to Lydia T. Bailey for helping to devise these additional tasks.
Here’s a new set of individual tasks.
Remember, you need to complete at least one bonus task by the end of the semester!
- Task BONUS20: Attend all or part of the #InciteXchange event tomorrow in Alter auditorium and write a blog post about one or more speakers.
- Task BONUS20: Attend all or part of the #InciteXchange event tomorrow in Alter auditorium and post at least 5 live tweets with the hash tag #InciteXchange.
- Task BONUS20: Attend any other DesignWeek event and write a blog post or post at least 5 live tweets with the hash tag #InciteXchange.
- Task BONUS30: Attend all or part of the #InciteXchange event tomorrow in Alter auditorium and write a blog post that includes pictures or video from the event.
- Task BONUS30: Attend any other DesignWeek event and write a blog post that includes pictures or video from the event.
Task XPOST (20): Write a blog post that quotes from and comments upon at least two other classmates posts.
Task AD1 (20): Create a sidebar ad for your website (e.g., 150×450 pixels)
Task FACEGRP (50): Create a Facebook or LinkedIn group or page (for something other than your group project!) and write a blog post explaining the process
Task AD2 (100 first exchange; 50 thereafter; up to 3 exchanges): Exchange sidebar ads with someone else (e.g., classmate). To get credit your ad must appear on another site and you must host someone else’s ad.
Task OFFLINE (75): Run an offline marketing campaign of some sort that drives traffic to your site and write up a blog post explaining the process and results
Task FACEAD (75) ($ - costs money): Place an advertisement on Facebook and write up a blog post explaining the process (and results)
Task METRICS (50): Write a blog post discussing differences in the information you get from Sitemeter and Google Analytics.
Task DOMAIN (75) ($ - costs money): Register an Internet domain and setup a simple landing page that is indexed by Google
Task WIKIP (5 each; up to 100 points total): Make an edit in WikiPedia
Task 4SQ1 (10 points): Join 4Square and write a blog post about what it is.
Task DIGG1 (10 points): Join DIGG and submit an item (from anywhere on the web).
Task 4SQ2 (30 points): Collect at least 3 4Square badges and write a blog post describing them.
Task DIGG2 (30 points): Get at least 10 + votes for an item on DIGG.
Task 4SQ3 (??? points): One week only… convert your week-to-date 4Square points at time of our class meeting into Quest Points.
I highly encourage groups to take part in the Google Online Marketing Challenge (GOMC). This is an excellent learning opportunity and is a nicely structured activity. Also, you get to place up to $200 of advertising on behalf of an organization.
- Important: your team must have 3-6 members to participate in the Google Online Marketing Challenge. If you currently have only 2 members, either recruit another member or team up with a 2 to 4 member team for this activity.
- Go to this site to register: http://www.google.com/onlinechallenge. When you register as a team, provide “email@example.com” as your professor’s email address.
- Watch the calendar! You need to start TODAY on this as it will take at least 7 (calendar) weeks to complete this. There is plenty of time left in the semester to complete it, but only if you act quickly to line up an appropriate organization.
- Once we get started, I will also announce GROUP Quest Points for the various milestones in the GOMC. For now, though, the major consideration is to help each team make sure you’re on the right track finding an appropriate organization to work with.
For the groups who do not formally take part in the Google Online Marketing Challenge, you will still be required to do a very similar set of work. Specifically, you are required to create the same reports detailed at the GOMC site.
The major difference is, instead of marketing the website of a real organization, you will create and market a Facebook page.
- Watch the calendar! You need to get started immediately. This will take a bare minimum of 5 weeks to get done poorly and at least 7 to do well.
- Once we get started, I will also announce GROUP Quest Points for the various milestones. For now your major consideration is to propose an idea for a Facebook page and start developing your Pre-Campaign Strategy.
I’ll review both of these project options in class today. If you have any further questions, please post them in the comments or send me an email.