Archive for February 17th, 2011

On Thursday, February 10th, Jack Hughes, founder and chairman of Top Coder, Inc., came and spoke to our Social Media Innovation class. The topic of Jack’s speech was ‘The Changing Nature of Work’ and was focused on how the Internet is changing how people work in the modern society. The theme of the speech explored how the Internet is making it possible for people all around the world to work together via the web in order to solve business-related problems. During his speech, Jack showed the class the Top Coder site and show the different ways users can get involved with the site.

The Top Coder site is made up by two different sections, Develop and Design. Develop is for users that are more interested in coding and programming, while Design is for users that are more interested in web or graphic design. I recently registered on the Top Coder Studio, which is the section of the site for Design. Since I don’t have any coding or programming experience, I figured Top Coder Studio was better for me since I have web development experience. I will keep an eye out for any interesting contests post on Top Coder Studios. Hopefully my experience with Top Coder can lend itself well to my future career.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

I think social media gives people the best chance to understand what’s really happening in the world and gives them a great opportunity to get word out during a crisis. In an emergency situation, social media should act as a news aggregator, where many different sources or people can contribute what they see and know to the understanding of the current emergency. There are three different social media tools that would be ideal for emergency situations. Facebook would be good if something happened and you want to inform those within your social circle of the news. Twitter is similar to Facebook, but with Twitter trends, it gets the word out to more people, including local media outlets that follow Twitter trends to learn of news stories. Reddit would be an excellent tool to get the word out to people that aren’t in your social circle or even your area.

If I was in a emergency situation, I would utilize all three of the social media websites that I mentioned. Facebook would be good if I needed to inform my friends and family of the situation. Twitter would be good if I wanted to get details out that weren’t being covered in the local media. I would use Reddit if the situation was something that not many people outside of the local area knew about. This would be good to use if I needed advice or assistance as well as many Redditors are willing to help out during emergency situations, no matter how small or large.

Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)