Archive for March, 2011

The first brand that I examined was Google. I visited Google’s website and found the ‘Press Center‘ section. On the left-hand side of the ‘Press Center’ page, they contain links to directories for the Facebook and Twitter accounts for Google and its products. They clearly have a presence on both sites, with accounts made for Google in general as well as accounts for their specific products, such as Google Chrome. From my research, the purpose for this is to have accounts where the specific product teams can interact with users.

The second company that I chose to examine was Yards Brewing Company. I chose to examine Yards because it is a much smaller company located in Philadelphia. I visited their website and noticed that they had icons at the bottom-right side of their website that linked to their Facebook and Twitter pages. The social media pages didn’t have as much ‘likes’ or followers, but they were still updated pretty frequently. For a local brewery, they had good social media presence.

My impressions:

Both of the companies are doing a great job of promoting themselves through social media. They are completely different companies in terms of size and reach, but they are doing well at promoting themselves to their audiences. They both update pretty frequently and they are clearly doing much to engage the fans of their products. In regards to what they are trying to achieve with social media promotion, I believe they are just trying to inform fans of new developments and products, while also informing fans of upcoming events related to the company. In short, they are looking to engage their fans with their brands on a consistent basis.

If I was in charge of a company’s social media initiative, I would measure success by how involved our fans are with the social media page. I wouldn’t measure success by the number of page ‘likes’ or followers, but rather by the number of people that ‘like’, comment, or re-tweet specific news posts. To me, that means that the company is doing a good job because it keeps the fans engaged beyond the initial ‘like’ or follow. Additionally, it proves that the audience has chosen to follow the specific pages because they want to kept up to date with the developments of the company.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)

One organization that I am proud to be a part of is the TECH Center crew here at Temple University. I have been working at the TECH Center for close to two years now and I’ve had a first-hand experience in seeing how it operates as an organization. From my experience there, I have come to the conclusion that the organization can best be described as a hybrid organization, consisting of elements from both centralized and decentralized organizations.

The TECH Center’s centralized elements come from the organization’s management. The TECH Center is managed by Temple University Computer Services. Computer Services is responsible for employing the managers of the TECH Center that hire and oversee the consultants such as myself. This shows a clear hierarchy with the executives of Computer Services on top, the lab managers of the TECH Center in the middle, and the student consultants at the bottom. All organizational rules are formed by the executives and are sent down throughout the department. These rules will then be enforced by the lab managers, who have to power to discipline or even fire students consultants that do not enforce the rules at the TECH Center.

The decentralized elements at the TECH Center are found with theĀ  students consultants. There are no consultants with any special duties given to them and there are no “leaders” amongst the consultants. Everybody is on the same level and as such, we are expected to work together as a team to solve problems and enforce the rules of the general lab. Since everybody is on the same level, a consultant can not tell an0ther consultant what to do. Instead, it is recommended that we simply suggest things to our fellow consultants and to lead by example so that new members can learn the tricks of the trade from experienced consultants.

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)

1.) In regards to Christine’s discussion on “fellow believers”, I do not think she means the same thing as ideology. The reason that I think this is because people can believe in somebody or something, but not share the same overarching ideology as others that believe in that specific thing. However, I do understand that many “fellow believers” will share the same ideology, but it is important to recognize that some people on an individual level will not always believe in the ideology of their peers. It is also important to understand that sometimes it is the collective action of individuals that drives a group, rather than the ideology that many in the group hold.

2.) Support makes the most sense to me out of all of the 3S approaches. The reason that I believe this is because support forces you to go beyond saying “Hey, I have a product and I want to sell it to you!” It means that companies and individuals must interact with believers on a personal level. This means answering questions that people ask or asking your believers questions on how you can make your interaction with them a better experience.

3.) I really enjoyed Christine’s article. The focus on “believers” rather than customers is a testament to the changing landscape brought on by social media. Businesses with a social media presence are aware that they have to be focused on aspects that are not necessarily involved with selling a product, but rather interacting with the people that believe in the company or product.

Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Social media, and Facebook in particular, have revolutionized journalism. That’s something that everybody is aware of nowadays. It’s the reason the newspaper industry is dying and it is the reason that most people turn to Twitter and Facebook to find out what’s happening in the world. I would go as far as to say that almost everybody with a Facebook account will use Facebook as a news source. Whether it is news within your social circle, your local community, or even on a broader scale, Facebook is the place to go to for news. With that being said, I think the notion of a Facebook-only news portal is viable, although it still needs time to develop. As mentioned earlier, most people get news and info from Facebook, so it makes a lot of sense to just have a Facebook-only news portal. The obvious advantage to a Facebook-only news portal is that it has massive reach, while giving people the ability to re-post news. However, the main disadvantage to a Facebook-only news portal is that it is exclusive to only Facebook. This means that anybody without a Facebook account will not know what’s going on in their world. Furthermore, a Facebook-only news portal is extremely disadvantageous to people that live in countries where Facebook is banned or censored.

If I created my own online news organization, I would just have my own website and social media accounts. I wouldn’t rely on one over the other, but would utilize both of them for the journalistic experience. To me, the social media sites and my websites would be seen as two halves to the whole, rather than separate entities.

Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)