Archive of my posts!
My Calendar
July 2014
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
Profile picture of Frederick Lutz Barnes

What I learned in Social Media Innovation Class

Photo Credit: Google

When I first signed up for the class I really thought we would be talking about different ways to use Facebook and Twitter in the business world. Then as we moved on I realized there are so many other social media tools that I had not even heard of. I know this sounds crazy but I didn’t even know what FourSquare and Digg were before this class. This class forced me to go beyond my comfort zone and use tools like Prezi and Slideshare to post my work. I had never even made a blog before so that in itself was new to me. I also learned how to embed presentations and movies so in the future I could use those skills to beef up a website or company blog. Pretty much every single thing I had to do in this class was new to me so I learned that much. As a human resource management major, most of my projects are always about how to solve different employee related problems in the workplace. This class allowed me to learn a whole other set of skills that were all technical in my eyes. I really enjoyed the class even though I struggled here and there and always had to ask the professor for help. I truly feel like I learned something and tried new things with social media that I otherwise wouldn’t have thought of doing.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

My Life

Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

Pattison Avenue

SHRM

School Loans

GoAnimate.com: Schools Loans by donnamariemul

Like it? Create your own at GoAnimate.com. It’s free and fun!

For Their Momma

I Joined Digg

I decided to join Digg. It was very easy and quick to join. I submitted an article entitled, “More U.S. women using “morning-after” pill: study – Yahoo! News“.

More U.S. women using “morning-after” pill: study – Yahoo! News ca.news.yahoo.com — Read ‘More U.S. women using “morning-after” pill: study’ on Yahoo! News. NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – More U.S. women seem to be… 47 sec ago View in Crawl 4

Dugg by donnamariemul

6thandspruce.info

I just created a domain name on GoDaddy.com. I created the name “www.6thandspruce.info”. I set up a very simple landing page and it is available on Google.
Here is the link: http://www.6thandspruce.info/

Facebook Group!

I created a Facebook page entitled “Taking the Subway at Night”. I decided to make this page because I live on 6th and Spruce so I have to commute on the subway to get to campus. Sometimes I have to stay on campus until late at night because of group projects, homework etc. then I have to go down to the scary, deserted subway late at night and wait and ride by myself. Most times, there are weird people waiting around down there and in almost every case, I am the only female riding late at night. I really do not like doing this but I cannot afford to take a taxi home all the time. I wanted to create this group because I know there are other students out there who commute just like I do. I added people and made it possible for them to add their friends as well. The process was very simple. I just logged into my Facebook account and clicked “create group” on the right side of the home page. Then I gave my group a name, invited friends to join, and uploaded a picture for the group page. Once the page is created I have the option of sending out mass emails to everyone in the group, create photo or video albums, create events, create a document to be shared with the group and chat with the group. I can also post questions and comments right on the page. I thought that the purpose of this group would be to contact other commuters and maybe set up a way where we can have a buddy system to commute at night together. I really don’t know if it will work and so far my group barely has any members who have joined but maybe it could turn into something.

Cloud-Computing

One of the PhillyTech week events was called “Cloud Computing and why Non-profits should care”. First off, cloud computing is a way of sharing resources like hardware and software within a network that allows for cheaper costs to use. It uses technology that allows any computer connected to the internet to share the same resources such as email, file services and data bases. An example of a cloud-computing resource is Google Docs. Google sets up the system and takes care of the technical stuff while users simply get online and operate it. Non-profit organizations should take advantage of cloud computing because it can save them time and money. Gmail is another form of cloud computing which allows all employees in your company to have an email account at no expense to management. Some benefits to using cloud computing for non-profit organizations are low costs (or no costs at all), no IT staff required (because access to cloud computing resources is possible without even knowing what is happening on the other side), no servers, speedy set-up (a Gmail account is easy to set-up for an average person and takes no time at all), and convenience (access to resources only require a user name and password and can be opened from any computer with internet). Cloud-computing is also more environmentally friendly because it lowers the demand to keep buying new computers to keep up with technology; so fewer computers are being dumped out. Also, fewer servers are needed meaning more energy is being conserved. Environmentally friendly options are attractive especially to non-profit organizations.

Search