Archive for March, 2011

Social Media

Danbo and Social Media.

Photo credit: Social Media by JaredVanderzell

The below questions were prompted from this blog post by Professor Steven L. Johnson regarding the use of social media promotion for companies. The companies that I picked were Coca-Cola and Turkey Hill, both beverage producers.

Do the companies do a good job of promoting themselves through social media?

On Coca-Cola’s site, there was a box that showed the Twitter tweets as soon as they were posted, as well as links to it’s other social networking pages. It did a pretty good job of promoting itself by linking to its social media pages, as well as using those pages to link back to its site.

Turkey Hill had a Facebook Like button right on the home page and an ad to follow them on Facebook and Twitter. They could have done a better job of incorporating social media on its actual website, but its social media pages did a good job of linking back to the website.

What do you think they hope to achieve via a Facebook or Twitter presence?

I think that both companies are looking to increase brand awareness as well as provide a community place for their fans and customers.

If you were in charge of a company’s Facebook or Twitter initiative, how would you measure if it was a success?

I would measure their success by the number of people who “like” it and join the page. Additionally, I would measure success by the about of web chatter about the company/product. For example, by setting up a hash tag campaign, you can see the tweets by people who tag them #tag and measure how often it is being used.

Cork Spider

Cork Spider

Photo credit: Cork Spider by Jared Vanderzell

I am the Editor-in-Chief of Temple University‘s undergrduate yearbook, the Templar. In our reading of The Starfish and the Spider, by Ori Brafman and Rod A. Beckstrom, I have come to realize that this organization is very much like a spider. My reasoning can be found below.

Hierarchy

The organizational structure of the staff is very rigid and top-down. I, as Editor-in-Chief, am at the top. Below me is the Production Manager and the Section Editors. Under them are the writers and photographers. Without the level above, everything below would just fall apart and “die”. This is very similar to a spider in that without the head, the rest of the spider is dead and not functional.

Oversight

With this organization, there is a central command and everything stems from there. Nothing is done without the approval of the Editor-in-Chief. This type of control and linearity in operations again makes this similar to a spider. A starfish is the complete opposite where each part can function on its own if separated from the rest. Not so in our program.

Additionally, we operate out of a centralized location. We have one office where all of our work is done. Without the office, we couldn’t be the program.

These are just some of the insights that I have realized based on reading this book. Makes me wonder if there should be some restructuring to make this organization more sustainable.

Community

Danbo surfing the web.

Photo credit: Community by JaredVanderzell

The below questions were prompted from this blog post by Professor Steven L. Johnson regarding the meaning of online community. The answers to the questions are based off the online post How To Build Community by Christine Cavalier.

In our reading last week in The Starfish and The Spider, it talked about the role of ideology in the decentralized organizations. When Christine talks about “fellow believers” do you think she means the same thing as ideology?

I think she means essentially the same thing. The believers of the online community have already bought into the cause/purpose of the community and stand by to support it. It’s the same shared set of beliefs that bring them together and perpetuate the same like-mindedness.

As stated in the online post, you don’t pitch your community to new/potential customers, the same with ideology. It is a belief or set of beliefs that people hold in common that draw them together. To restate Ms. Cavalier, “Community is made up of believers.”

Reading through the specific suggestions on how to search, share, and support which ones make the most sense to you? Are there any you are ready to go ahead and try?

The one that makes the most sense to me is Support. By supporting like-minded people, you are helping to grow your online community and strengthen the relationships supporting that network. By supporting them, they may support you in return. Additionally, their readers may see your comment and decide to check out your blog increasing your traffic.

What is your overall reaction to the contents of “How To Build Community Online“?

I thought it was an excellent article that coincided perfectly with our class reading and study of social networks and their behaviors. The article concisely broke down how to build an online community in practical terms, allowing for easy integration and implementation with our current blog.

Image of Facebook

Facebook: A Viable Publishing Platform?

Photo credit: Facebook by JaredVanderzell

In response to this posted discussion questions from Steven L. Johnson, this post will look at the use of Facebook as a standalone news platform.

I believe that it is not a viable option to launch a Facebook-only news portal. Due to current limitations within the architecture framework, such as not being able to make revenue from using own advertising and making sure content fits within the parameters of Facebook’s Terms of Service. With that being said, I think using Facebook as a supplement to existing news content would be highly beneficial because now readers can be pulled from both the social networking sphere as well as the traditional website sphere. It makes more sense to use it as a supplement because it allows for more potential readers and content cannot be sensored that Facebook may deem as inappropriate if it is on their traditional website.

What are your thoughts?

Flickr Photos
Archives
Dropbox

Found something that you want to share with me?

Send me a file, photo or document that you thought was cool.

[wp-dropbox]