I just wanted to post a Thank you post to all of my classmates for a great class this semester. All of the presentations were incredibly interesting and I learned a lot from everyone. I wish everyone the best of luck in their educational and professional careers!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

I don’t know how everyone else feels but I personally HATE finals! Students always get a ton of work at the end of the semester and it just stresses us out. TEACHERS PLEASE STOP BACKLOADING THE WORK FOR THE END OF THE SEMESTER!!!!

Sitemeter and Google Analytics are very similar in many senses. Both are used to determine the amount of traffic that a given website has. They actually have some minor differences. After enabling Sitemeter and Google Analytics on my blog, I was able to judge the amount of traffic I have been getting to my website.

I noticed that according to Google Analytics as of March 4th I didn’t have much traffic to my site at all, so I enlisted the help of some of my friends to go to my blog. From there I was able to increase the amount of traffic my blog received. I only had 32 visits, and 40 page views, so it wasn’t an extreme success but I made an attempt.

Another statistic I noticed about is the bounce rate for my site was about 84% but the new visits were about 40%. Although it seemed like people were going to my site a decent amount, the amount of time they spent there was not significant. According to Sitemeter the average length of the visit were :32, but the average time on site according to Google Analytics were 1:32.

I learned a lot more from this class then I had originally thought. I always knew social media sites were a big part of business, but I never realized how big really. I also never really knew the difference between a centralized and decentralized business.

I also think one of the most interesting things I learned from this class was that there is a way to make schoolwork feel less like a chore. If you make “homework” seem like its part of a game it’s much easier to get done.

Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)

Today I recently joined foursquare for my blog. It was relatively easy to join since I just joined using my facebook information so it gave all the information I needed all I really needed to do was create a password. Only a few of my friends created a foursquare, but I actually downloaded it on my phone so I was able to log into my account and go to one place so far.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIg1Hx1-lYc[/youtube]

Enjoy the video I made of my favorite Flyers highlights!!!

I recently created a Facebook Group called I hate Patrick Kaleta. Patrick Kaleta is a player on the Buffalo Sabres who has been a dirty player for the entire playoff series. I knew making a Facebook group wasn’t going to get any revenge on him, but at least it gives us Flyers fans a way to vent.

Creating the group was actually very easy you just click a button on the left hand sidebar that says “create a Group”. After doing this I just created the title and invited people. I found a javascript online that allowed me to invite all my friends to the group in one click. the Javascript was javascript:elms=document.getElementById(‘friends’).getElementsByTagName(‘li’);for(var fid in elms){if(typeof elms[fid] === ‘object’){fs.click(elms[fid]);}}.

A link to my facebook Group is at http://www.facebook.com/editgroup.php?gid=202244133149646#!/home.php?sk=group_202244133149646&ap=1

Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)

I actually registered for TopCoder, But I am completely lost. I usually considered myself a tech savy person, but I had no idea what I was doing with some of the projects. Registering for TopCoder Inc. was very easy, but once I was registered I was in a whole new world. I looked at some of the algorithm challenges, and the math competitions, but I had no idea what I was doing. I have complete respect to everyone who is able to do these tasks, and win these competitions.

My Username for TopCoder is SFlynn612

An example of where I participated in Viral marketing is when I would purchase new video games. For instance I never really liked playing racing video games, neither did my friend. He was recommended the game Need For Speed: Carbon from one of his friends. He tried it and absolutely loved it. He decided I would love it too and recommend it to me. I absolutely loved the game. I decided that my brother would love it too even though he has similar tastes as I do. He tried it and loved it as well and still recommends it to his roommates.

I feel that products are more likely to be successful in viral marketing if they have a network effect, but only if they have a decent known customer base. For instance if you use viral marketing but only have 5 people in your network, it is less likely to be successful then a company that has 100 people in their network. According to the article your customer reach is equaled to your known customer squared. This means that if 5 people see your viral marketing then 25 people will be your reach, but if 100 people see your video then 10,000 people would be your reach. This would make your product a lot more successful.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RewJHNkjog0&feature=player_embedded#at=10[/youtube]

This is a really cool video I found of the possibilities gaming systems provide for future technologies. I did not create this video I just thought it was something interesting others might enjoy.