1) I plan to start commenting on other blog’s outside of the class blog, I want to comment on controversial issues and also just enage in activities where I could leave a footprint, hopefully people will trace it back to my blog.

2) By commenting and also starting talks on controversial issues, I think people will respond to my action. If I say something that goes against popular opinion or something that is obsurd, people will want to know why I’m doing this. Either way it should intrigue people and get them to visit my blog.

3) By doing all this I hope to increase the traffic to my site, by monitoring my blog I can see that it hasn’t seen much activity. Maybe the content is bland, by increasing my activity concerning blogging, possibly the reprocussion will be positive for me.

4) I’ll know if this tactic is working by seeing if the number of visitors increases and by how much time they spend on my blog increases. The number of comments can also be looked at.

Something I could take away from this course is what social media really is. Before taking this course I was under the impression it was just another means for people to communicate, but after taking this course I realize it’s a driver for innovation and a vital component for companies that want to succeed. A companies business design has to include some aspect of social media if they want to stay competitive. Also it’s a way to express yourself and broaden your creativity.

I’ve looked at and told people to look at some infomercials about exercise equipment just because some of the concepts are so far fetched. They are also very funny because the instructors selling the product have a serious demeanor, but again are selling a foolish product. For example, “the rack”. It’s basically a walker senior citizens use, but now it’s used as exercise equipment. Viral marketing will be more effective within networks because information tends to flow faster through a network than with non-networks. Also once one network starts to favor a product, the fad quickly spreads and other networks follow. So the key for viral marketing is to win over some people and let them do the rest of the work for you.

Social media is new in that it allows firms to directly communicate with customers in a positive way.The customary interaction between customer and supplier is unpleasant, but now suppliers can ask the right questions to make products better without hassling customers. It’s also new in that people can live their life in the public light, not free of constraint of course. Social media is the same in that it’s just another means of communication. The first line of popular communication was AIM, then Myspace, now Facebook and Twitter. Social Media in today’s world requires much creativity and technological savy. Although using social media isn’t overally complicated, the way to use it effectively is. Companies use social media to gain an edge over competition and also expose their brand, technoloy comes into play because you want to analyze what customers are attractive to your company and an efficient way to do this is by data-mining.

I chose Nike as my first company to examine, I visited their corporate website and didn’t really find any signs of socail media, which was surprising. I suppose they don’t really need a social media presence because a lot of their brand is exposed by athletes on a global scale. The only sign of social media on Nike’s store website was a link to follow their products on twitter. As we all know, Nike is a top global brand who doesn’t need any assistance from social media at this point in time. Perhaps they would try social media as a channel for advertising in the future, which would cost a fraction of what they usually spend.

The smaller company I chose was skullcandy because their headphones are unbeatable in terms of quality and price in my opinion. This companies uses social media as a major promotional tool. Skullcandy defintely does  a good job of using social media; their site has links to twitter, facebook, myspace and you tube. This allows the company to almost have real-time updates to whats going on in the company as well as what products are coming out.

Companies that do use social media are trying to do two things, boost product exposure and keep up with technological trends. Facebook and Twitter are popular now so many companies are jumping on “the band wagon”. Also having more people aware of your products doesn’t hurt either. I’d measure the success of a companies use of social media by how much buzz the posts and links are creating. The “buzz” doesn’t have to translate to sales, if people are always talking about your product, the sales will come.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FxN4TsFpE[/youtube]http://goanimate.com/movie/0PJCOweHtUus/1

Sitemeter tends to be more complicated because in order to keep it free new accounts need to created for each site you have. This poses a problem because information distribution can be unclear. I believe sitemeter also doesn’t keep accurate track of the visits to your site; also counts when you visit your own site. Google analytics displays more detailed information and is totally free which is always a plus. Also google requires your email for account creation so you have constant updates on how your site is doing.

The organization I’m choosing is a place I currently work, this organization is decentralized because each property runs independently of each other. There are levels of management but job responsibilites are blurred; power is distributed amongst all the employees, work hours are flexible and there is ambiguity in how you complete your job task. The organization is also centralized because there is a hierarchy of status; account manager, guest service coordinator and guest service associate. This is part of a bigger hierachry which consists of all the properties in philadelphia being managed by the district manager. If I had to choose which organization this would be I would say it’s a hybrid organization because there are position titles but the power is shared amongst many people.

From what I can gather from joing 4Square, 4Square is a site that gives you the opportunity to go to places and use your mobile device to document your experience, afterwards you can comment on what you did, where you’ve been and see who else has been there. This program also lets you interact with friends or interact with people you never met.

1) I think when Christine speaks about “fellow believers” she does mean the same thing as idelogoy in the starfish and the spider. She talks about having a community of people who are already believers in you and from these people more business will be generated. This is the same concept as idelogoy because like the believers, no one person has control over their entire community. Also the believers operate on their own, taking no direction from the person they believe in.

2) The Support section makes the most sense to me because you building relationships with your believers. By showing interest in your believers they will go the extra mile for you and generating business will be easier in my opinion. If I had believers I would try the support portion of this article.

3) What Christine said makes sense, she raises valid points of why you should follow her suggestions when establishng an online community. The best community to  be a part of is the one that has people in it just like yourself.

Site Wide Activities [RSS]
Viewing item 1 to 25 (of 200 items)
Featured Posts
Spring Calendar
December 2014
M T W T F S S
« Apr