Team Infographic Leaderboard

Now that the infographics are up on both visual.ly and Flickr, there’s two different places you can promote and drive views to.

Here’s the total views to date for all of the team infographics.

Keep up the great work on promoting your team infographics! Can we reach 5000 total views by next class?

Team infographics now on Visual.ly

The team infographics are now posted to the infographics site Visual.ly, too. Here are the links:

I’ll add the number of views there to the ones on Flickr for the final tallies of most viewed infographics.

Week 13: Traffic control, making sense with Google analytics

Topic Focus: Traffic control: making sense with Google analytics

Read Chapter 1 and Chapter 3 of Google Analytics by Justin Cutroni (available via ProQuest Safari Library). (Find help here if the link doesn’t work for you.)

Tool Focus: Google Analytics

Watch this video: Beginning Analytics: Interpreting and Acting on Your Data:

image credit: 13 by psd, on Flickr

Infographics leaderboard

Here are the viewing statistics for the team infographics as recorded on Flickr:

In first 2 hours after posting:

Grand Prize

Remembered, there will be a prize for the team that generates the most views for their infographic. Start promoting your infographic around the web wherever you think people will be interested!

Team Infographics Update

I successfully downloaded infographics for 8 out of the 12 groups. Because many of the file sizes are quite large and all of the infographics are of various different difficult to scale sizes, I decided to load them up to my Flickr account. There are multiple advantages to using Flickr for this:

• When we want to embed the images, we can take advantage of the functionality that Flickr provides of automatically rescaling images.
  • It’ll also give us a single consistent link that all of us can use to embed and promote an image, regardless of the size.
  • Because I have a Flickr Pro account,  and I’ll have advanced metrics I can share with the class for how many views the image gets.
  • Because all of the images will be loaded into these same “InfoGraphics” set in my Flickr account, it’ll make it easier for people to discover additional a second (or third) infographic after they find the first one.
Congratulations! This is an impressive set of images. We are now ready to start promoting the infographics.

Next Steps

Most important, if you are in one of the four groups whose infographic is not on Flickr yet, get your updated image onto the Wiki ASAP and email me that it is ready.
I will do various things to promote the infographics, including:
  • Today I will link to all 8 of the available infographics on the class facebook page. Please share these posts and encourage your friends to “like” them as well. :-) (The rest will go up as available.)
  • Today I will share all 8 on Tumblr.
  • Over the next week, I will post 1 to 2 infographics per day on my blog. The post titles also appear on the front page of the department website and in my twitter feed.

I encourage each of you to promote your team’s infographics as well as any classmates that you find particularly interesting. To make it easier to consistently track the total number of views for each image, link back to the Flickr pages.

You can also embed Flick images; see the “Share” button on the image for the proper HTML.

Prizes

Don’t know what it will be yet, but there will be a prize for the team (or teams) whose infographic is the most popular. If I can figure out a way to track it, I may have a prize for the individual(s) who do the best job in promoting the infographics, too.

Infographics

Here are the eight available thus far:

Week 12: What’s social got to do with search?

No 12 - faded black

Topic Focus: What’s social got to do with search?

Read: How User-Generated Content Is Changing SEO

Tool Focus: Social presence management

Compare and contrast hootsuite and xeeme. How are they similar or different views of social presence management?

image credit: No 12 – faded black by kirstyhall, on Flickr

Week 11: What’s a page rank? Getting started with SEO

No 11 - black on white

Topic Focus: What’s a page rank? Getting started with SEO

Read: Google Basics and Search Engine Optimization (PDF)

Skim the Wikipedia page on Page Rank to be able to answer these questions:

1. What is page rank used for?

2. What is the primary thing that influences page rank?

Tool Focus: Location-based services and QR Codes

Read: Pick 3 articles on this page to read – AniseSmith QR codes

image credit: No 11 – black on white by kirstyhall, on Flickr

Week 10 Follow-up

Last night’s class: watch again on FoxCapture.

View the Prezi presentation:

Important announcements for tonight’s class meeting

Wed 11/2 Class Plans

We’re changing a few things up this evening.

• The guest presentation by Josh Rosen, Marketing Manager – Campbells Kitchen, has been postponed until Wednesday, November 8.
  • We will spend time (a) discussing the assigned reading on social media ROI, (b) discussing Google+, and having the scheduled individual presentations.
  • I’m also setting aside time for brief meetings with each group for feedback on your Infographics. (For some groups this may be quite brief, for others a little bit longer.)

General Infographic Feedback

Your Infographic needs to include credits. There are two types of credits to include (a) your own authorship and (b) sources. Here’s how I recommend handling this:
  • For (a) include something along the lines of: This infographic was prepared by X, Y, and Z for Prof. Johnson’s Social Media Innovation course at Temple U. Fox School of Business. bit.ly/mis3538
  • For (b), include something along the lines of: “Data from: url, url, url”, “Image credits: …, …, … “. If there are an overwhelming number of credits, you create a page at the class blog with them and point to that page… “See http://community.mis.temple.edu/mis3538b2/teameight for data source and image credits.”
It’s time to reach closure on your projects. It is better to having something simple that looks finished than something more involved that looks half-way done!

Class Preparation

To prepare for the Infographics review make sure to do the following:
  • Time permitting, update as per above feedback.
  • Save the most recent version of your group’s infographic as either a JPG or PNG format file.
  • Either (a) upload that version to your group Wiki page or (b) somewhere else accessible via the classroom computer
Thank you. I look forward to reviewing the latest versions with each group this evening!

Announcing a new major set of activities

As announced in class this week there are a large number of new activities available for completion. As a reminder, in addition to the required tasks you also need to do some “your choice” tasks for successful completion of the social media innovation in action activities.

Here are the highlights of the new tasks. All of the details of each activity are included in the activity list.

Activity QPs Description
BLOG.FBLIKE 75 Add a working Facebook like button to your blog
BLOG.PLUSONE 75 Add a working Google +1 button to your blog
BLOG.TFOLLOW 75 Add a working Twitter “follow me” button on your blog
BLOG.QUOTE 50 Prepare a blog post that is primarily based on quoting sections of and reacting to the content of someone else’s blog post or article
BLOG.PHOTO 50 Prepare a blog post that is solely comprised of an original photo
EXP.KLOUT 25 Sign up with Klout and give StevenLJohnson a +K
EXP.PEERINDEX 25 Sign up with Peerindex
EXP.SCOOPIT 100 Create a topic at scoop.it and add at least 10 items
EXP.PINTEREST 100 Create a board at pinterest with at least 15 items
EXP.TUMBLR 100 Create a Tumblr and reblog at least 10 items from other people

Now that we further along in the semester, I am purposely providing less details on how to complete these activities! Part of the activity itself it to figure out exactly how to complete the activity. Nonetheless, once you have started working on an activity if you get totally stuck let me know what you’ve tried so far and I’ll be glad to provide some further pointers.

Announcements have moved to the social media innovation portal.

Categories
Class Calendar
Copyright Notice
Unless otherwise noted, all text and images are by Steven L. Johnson, licensed CC BY-SA.
Final Fall 2011 Quest Standings