Post Directory

other

Nokia Re-Enters U.S. With $50 Smartphone

Nokia Corp. is getting back into the U.S. smartphone business with an entry-level model powered by Microsoft Corp.’s latest Windows software and sold by T-Mobile USA.

The Lumia 710, one of two models that Nokia has launched in Europe, is slated to go on sale Jan. 11 for $50 after a rebate and a two-year contract.

ARE YOU GOING TO PURCHASE IT?

Image Credit: google.com

MOG Player Review

MOG is an online music blog network. It automatically creates a play queue. It shares your music with your friends as you listen to it. The songs instantly pop up in your Facebook newsfeed. Also, you can choose to share the songs via Twitter.

Screenshot of Playlist from MOG

To continue getting free music through this service, you must “favorite” songs or add them to particular playlists for others to see. Also, MOG offers a subscription based service which allows a per month fee. It includes unlimited listening and syncing of playlists to your mobile device.

Cost: $10 per month for mobile

Cost: $5 per month for unlimited listening

I have been using MOG for quite some time. Overall, I like the service but it does seem to have a few flaws, atleast for the free version. Numerous times, I’ve run out of my free music, and have resorted to inviting people to join MOG just so I could listen to music. I also found it to be a hassle constantly favoriting and adding songs to playlists. Some new songs also require a subscription to listen to. Lastly, I found it creepy that my roommates knew what song I was about to listen to simply by “creeping” on my Facebook.

Does anyone use MOG or a similar service and do you find it useful?

Microsoft Co-Founder to Build Massive Jet for Space Launches.

Microsoft Corp. co-founder Paul Allen indicated he is prepared to commit $200 million or more of his wealth to build the world’s largest airplane as a mobile platform for launching satellites at low cost, which he believes could transform the space industry.

1213allen

www.wsj.com

Read the article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203518404577096493595261190.html?mod=WSJ_business_LeadStoryCollection

World Wildlife Fund

The World Wildlife Fund, WWF,  has been protecting the future of nature. The world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and close to 5 million globally. WWF’s vision is to build a future in which people live in harmony with nature.  WWF’s mission is to conserve nature and reduce the most pressing threats to the diversity of life on Earth.  By 2020, WWF will conserve 15 of the world’s most ecologically important regions by working in partnership with others.  By partnering with others they plan to protect and restore species and their habitats, strengthen local communities’ ability to conserve the natural resources they depend upon, transform markets and policies to reduce the impact of the production and consumption of commodities and mobilize hundreds of millions of people to support conservation.  WWF is an organization that protect wildlife, conserve places, transform businesses to be more environmental friendly, help face climate change, work with communities to help rebuild populations and help people understand how to conserve the areas, and develop science based solutions.  Currently they are working on rebuilding the tiger populations and setting up a global example of how to deal with climate change in the Eastern Himalayas.  This is the topic I chose because I am a big animal person and it is a great organization.  How do you think the WWF could do better or what do you like about them so much.               

Interview: Ish Fuseini – Hydros Bottle

For my interview I spoke with my friend Ish Fuseini, a Temple Grad who works for Hydros Bottle. Hydros Bottle produces an environmentally conscious reusable water bottle with a built in filter. They strive to make an impact on the global water crisis, donating a share from each purchase to fund sustainable water infrastructure projects in impoverished areas.

1. What is your position with and can you give a brief description of your general duties?

• I am the Marketing Associate at Hydros Bottle . I help increase traffic of our online website, support retailers with sales, perform customer service duties, attend events and functions to help spread the brand and help engage and support our community with content.

2. How and why did you get involved with social media?

• I’ve been involved with social media since I started my own music blog thatsmyish.com, which is not on hiatus. I used social media to contact DJs and Artists to help promote their music. It was a great way to connect with the people I aimed my blog for and I was able to keep tabs on what they wanted so I could provide them with quality music.

3. What social media tools do you use, and how do you utilize them?

• My bread and butter tools would be Hootsuite and Crowdbooster. With hootsuite, I have set up search streams on my competition. I always know what they’re up to with promotions and see how they are engaging their customers. A great way for me to find new fans is to address my competitor’s customers that they have forgotten about. I also have other search streams that focus on content that’s related to water, water crisis and anything to do with the environment. I also have a search stream on our brand name to see if anyone is having problems with our product so I can properly address them. With Crowdbooster, It helps me optimize the perfect time range to release new content. By gaining the most impressions, I have a higher chance of reaching most of our community. This usually works by posting 1-3x a day on facebook and 5-7x a day on twitter.

4. Have you noticed any trends that have formed or are forming during your time working with social media? Do you think social media’s use in business is growing?

• There is alot of talk on measuring ROI of social media. I feel like it’s very hard to quantify (if it’s even possible). I see social media as an expense (as is all of marketing).  More and more companies are just throwing money at social media without properly implementing as a support channel and kind of use social media as a magic bullet. Social media’s use in business will continue to grow with the use of location-based services and marketing automation.

5. What tips do you have for someone looking to enter the field of utilizing social media for business? Are there any lessons you have learned that you wish you knew from the start?

• A great way to enter the field is to jump in head first. Start something you’re passionate about or help your favorite local small business. I wish I knew more HTML and CSS, I feel a lot of my time is wasted waiting on coding or for a landing page to be developed. Study your metrics, make sure you know how to measure your success and the biggest lesson I wish I learned was fail fast. Sounds ridiculous but the faster you fail, the faster you succeed. If you learn what doesn’t work quickly, you can scrap it and avoid wasting time and resources.

OnlyWire – EXP.ONBOARD

OnlyWire is a Social Media Engine that provides the ability to auto-submit content to the highest ranked and leading Social Media sites. Its tagline reads “One button. Publish everywhere”. This automation eliminates the need to log into all of these sites (50) in order to manually input content, enabling users to reach readers automatically.

The service currently supports: AOL Lifestream, Bebo, Bibsonomy, Blogger, Brightkite, Connotea, Delicious, Digg, Diggo, Facebook, Facebook Group, Facebook Page, Folkd, FriendFeed, GoogleBookmarks, GooglePlus, Hi5, indenti.ca, Jumptags, Kaboodle, Karmalynx, LinkaGoGo, LinkedIn, LinkedIn Group, Live Journal, Mister Wong, Multiply, MyAOL, My Link Vault, MySpace, My Year Book, Netlog, Netvibes, Newsvine, Oyax, Plaxo, Plurk, Posterous, Reddit, Scribd, Serpd, Sonico, Stumbleupon, Tagged, Tumblr, Twitter, TypePad, WordPress, Yahoo, and Yelp.

It’s a fairly simple and straightforward setup. After setting up an account you have to download and install the “OnlyWire Submitter”, Set up social networking services for your account, Install the Bookmark and Share button to the website, and start posting to OnlyWire. Once you post content to OnlyWire, the system delivers the info via the Submitter to the social networks.

I connected my Digg, Facebook, Reddit, Stumbleupon, Tumblr, and Twitter accounts to Onlywire. Once set up I used Onlywire to post my most recent blog to those services, and the process went smoothly and worked effectively. They even provide a history report showing what posts went to what sites, if it was successful, and why not if it wasn’t. I definitely suggest this service to anyone wishing to spread the reach of their sites, and wish I had it setup earlier. I think this site would be a good required activity for classes in the future.

All New 3-Series

The 3-series is BMW’s most popular line of coupes and sport sedans.  For consumers, the 2006-2011 models of the 3-series remained relatively the same with no major change, however, 2012 models are completely redesigned.  Here are the major changes that we will be seeing in the new model:

• Sleeker Design
    • Redesigned interior and exterior
    • Longer length and more storage space
    • 3 unique customizable lines (Sport, Luxury, and Modern)
  • Powerful Performance
    • 4-Cylinder TwinPower Turbo engine
    • 6-Cylinder TwinPower Turbo Engine
    • All new responsive 8-speed automatic transmission
    • 6-speed standard manual
  • Innovative Technology
    • Full color Head-Up Display
    • The American debut of Traffic Sign Recognition technology
    • 6.5” freestanding iDrive Screen
  • Impressively Efficient
    • Power and efficiency go hand in hand with the help of:
    • TwinPower Turbo technology
    • Auto Start/Stop technology
    • ECO PRO Mode
  •  

Recently, we just received news that the 328i model will be starting at $35,795 and the 335i model will start at $43,295.  These prices are subject to change by the time the models are released in America.  We still do not know the pricing of the packages offered and options on the vehicles.

Besides for the standard models that everyone is used to, BMW will also be releasing their “ActiveHybrid 3.”  Marking a first for the segment, BMW’s launch of a hybrid version of its new 3-series during the fall of 2012.  The ActiveHybrid 3 will be powered by 300 horsepower 3.0L turbocharged 6-Cylinder paired to an electric motor that can boost power by as much as 55 horsepower.  BMW says to expect performance on par with the 335i.

The first wave of early delivery from BMW to North America is expected to be around July 2012.

Here is a pic of the new F30 (3-Series) M Sport Package from Barcelona:

more pics can be found here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612947

Interview: Julia Driggers at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia

I took the opportunity to interview a friend of mine, Julia Driggers who is a Registered Dietician at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.  CHOP is recognized as one of the best if not THE best children’s hospital in the whole country.  In addition to her everyday duties as an RD, Julia assists maintaining the Facebook page for the hospital.  I thought this was a unique opportunity to learn something new because in class we regularly discussed and studied how social media aligns businesses and consumers, and while CHOP is not thought of as a typical business compared to what we looked at in class and readings, social media clearly has its place as a forum for communication between patients parents and the staff.  Our conversation is posted below.

Could you please describe briefly what you do?  What social media do you use (Facebook, Twitter?) and what is your role in using these social media tools?

Assistant to Social Media Dietitian at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The Hospital has its own Facebook page. Once a month a “Nutrition Video” is aired which covers a variety of childhood nutrition topics from healthy snacks to vegetarian kids. I assit in creating the topics and the taping/staging of the video.

How did you get involved with being on the administration team for social media at your workplace?  Did you feel qualified?  Is it something you enjoy?

By applying internally through the clinical nutrition department at CHOP. As a Registered Dietitian (RD), I am qualified to provide legal nutrition advice. I also have attended Social Media teaching sessions specifically for the health care provider. I have a special interest in Vegetarian Nutrition and am a published RD in that particular field. I enjoy educating the public on nutrition facts, very much.

What is the purpose of having social media at CHOP?

To be a central public ‘face’ for our employees and patients/patients families. As well as communicate with our community and provide services.

Do you feel the hospital benefits from your effort? Is a social media page for a hospital really necessary?

Yes, one of the hospitals goal for our social website is to provide health education to our community. Our nutrition videos provide helpful tips on eating healthy and therefore supports the hospitals mission. The social website has been beneficial for the hospital. it creates a network for employees and families and is our  “public face” to the world.

I see on your page a few people that have complimented the hospitals effort – has there ever been complaints?

There have been complaints and they are taken very seriously. If a valid complaint is posted we do our best to comment with what measures are being taken to ensure similar problems will not happen again. We attempt to be 100% ‘see-through’ when it comes to patient safety.

Interview: Lou Cimaglia

This interview was done with Lou Cimaglia, who works in the public relations department of Grow Socially.

How did you get involved with social media?

I got involved through social media by meeting John Foley, the CEO of InterlinkONE and Grow Socially. He’s a great guy, and wanted to bring Tom and myself on board as interns back in 2010. We work at Grow Socially now.

Where do you work and what type of social media company is it?

Grow Socially helps businesses with all of their social media marketing efforts.

What does your job at the company entail? Any special projects?

I do a lot of public relations work for the company, as well as a lot of blogging. I research industry trends and some of the interesting things happening in the field and write about them, then I engage on social media to help drive traffic back to the company website.

What do you feel will be the biggest trend in social media in the near future (1-2 years)? Long-term (3-5 years)?

In the next few years, I am expecting mobile to become a massive industry. It really already is, so this prediction isn’t much of a stretch. But the amount of our lives that we will be pouring into our smartphones will only increase. Mobile commerce, social networking and more are already pretty prevalent. But the amount of people with smartphones is increasing, and that number figures to keep climbing.

Do you expect to continue to work in the social media marketplace in the future?

I hope to stay in the social media field for a little while. It is a nice crossroads of traditional marketing and new media, as well as some public relations, which is what I am majoring in.

Interview: Alex Pai, Temple Alumni

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Temple University graduate, Alex Pai. He has previously worked at eTailor in their social media department.

•  What made you get into social media?
    •  Social media has and will continue to play an increasing role in marketing campaigns across the board. understanding the way it works and the potentials of social media will be invaluable not only to the marketers but also to businesses as a whole.
  • Within the past few years, social media has really taken off. How do you determine which channel is the most effective and which one has the most potential?
    •  You need to analyze and evaluate the individual business and your consumer base to understand which platforms will be ideal. Of course Facebook has 800 million users world wide, but the way Facebook users interact with the service may not be optimal for your business. More often the not, niche networks convert better and provide markets with higher quality data and engagement with their customers.
  • Sort of going off of the last question, where do you see social media going in the next 5-10 years?
    • Honestly, I think it’s impossible to tell. 10 years ago Friendster and Myspace were relevant. Now they’re extinct. 5 years ago Twitter just launched. 5 years from now I think either new platforms will arise or Facebook and Twitter will evolve into something new. 10 years? Who knows. My point is, the digital revolution moves at such a fast pace, it’s impossible to predict where we’ll be. However by then I’m positive that at some point regulations will be passed to affect its rapid evolution.
  • Throughout the years, what has been the most successful social media campaign that you have utilized? 
    • Most of my experience in social media has been working with ecommerce companies. As such, our most successful social media campaigns have involved running contests through Facebook and Twitter to win free merchandise. For example, “we’re giving away $200 in camping gear! tell us about your camping experience that could have benefit from these products on our wall” or “follow us and retweet this to be entered to win $200 in camping equipment!”
  • What’s a typical day for someone that works heavily in social media?
     In almost all of my work related to social, my day starts off checking facebook and blog comments and Twitter mentions. Followed by posting what I need to post at that time. Usually, I’ll have a schedule of content to post at certain times throughout the day (based on usage metrics) and I’ll also keep the conversation going with users I have already replied to. Much of my time is spent on research, whether on the industry or going through company data. Also planning and executing specific campaigns to run (either through social media or other means)