Archive for December 2011

Singularity and Media

The idea of singularity starts out simple but as soon as you begin to wrap your head around this theory you begin to question everything about technology and life.  Singularity is an idea that refers to a hypothetical point of time in the future where artifical intelligence surpasses human intelligence which results in the fusion of the two.  A world where our thoughts can be downloaded and our minds exported into different bodily experiences.  This idea is most commonly talked about one of the great innovative minds of our generation, Ray Kurzweil, who was the subject of the 2009 documentary Transcendent Man.  I urge all of you to watch this documentary or read any of the numerous articles available on this idea before you continue reading.

Image Credit: Ray Krunzweil

When exploring this theory I immediately begin to think about what media or the entertainment industry would look like when singularity or some form of it is a reality.  It is pretty crazy to think about the possiblity of downloading media straight to your brain but if Mr. Kurzweil is correct that is exactly where were headed.  This could open the doors to new types of entertainment, virtual reality simulations, and new innovative ways to particpate in live events.  Could artificial intelligence write better tv shows than humans do?  Are we going to be playing video games in different bodies with others inhabititing other bodies themselves?

Image Credit: http://spectrum.ieee.org/tag/singularity

These possibilities truly boggle the mind.  We are getting to the point where technology can truly take over a lot of what we do.  I think its important however to keep in mind, during this “rise of technology”, to consider the important of media and the arts in society.  New ideas are exchanged all the time by the arts and through media, and we never want to be content with what we have.  We should always strive for more reflection and input on ideas of our time.  Technology will surely get better and change how we get our media, but let’s make sure the art that comes from this media is as pure and independent as possible.  Let’s use this technological singularity to get new ideas out in the world and empower others to create because of the new found freedom of a singularity.

So what are your thoughts?  Afraid of singularity? Excited? Please comment below

An interview with True Voice Media founder Jeff Gibbard

Today we had the opportunity to talk with a pioneer in the social media world in Philadelphia, Jeff Gibbard.  Jeff is the founder of True Voice Media, a Philadelphia based social media company.  We discussed a myriad of subjetcts about social media, and the best thing about it…. it was done entirely over Twitter.  We even created a special hashtag for the event: #smphila.  You can follow Jeff @jgibbard and follow his company @truevoicemedia.

New Media Musings: 1st question… How did you get involved in social media?

Jeff Gibbard: My first foray into social media was Friendster & then MySpace. While getting my MBA realized this was going to be BIG!!  As a professional I started with a mgmt consulting company doing interactive mktg.

NMM: How does your business True Voice Media, monetize its social media efforts?

JG: Well for starters, we monetize social media efforts because clients pay us, beyond that we go about it in a fairly traditional way. Quantify the value of a lead for clients & get more leads.

NMM:Why are bigger corporations more tentative to adopt social media?

JG:Good question. 3 reasons. Fear. Oversight. Scalability. I’ll explain,  fear, big corporations are afraid of making mistakes, there’s more accountability, less risk tolerance they are afraid someone might say something negative, that it might get out of control…it’s fear of the unknown. Oversight, It is MUCH more difficult to manage 100′s of people representing a brand than a small handful scalability is about the fact that social media replicates individual relationships. More of a one-on-one dialogue. And that’s more difficult to scale in big corporate environments

NMM:Very interesting insight, Which emerging social media platform do you see becoming the “next big thing” ?

JG: I don’t really believe in the concept of “the next big thing” for a technology / platform. I think the “next big thing” is getting serious about all this and treating it like anything else in business. Each network will continue to evolve or it will fizzle out. The next big thing is often tomorrows failure.

NMM:On that note,How do you think social media will be used by big business in the next five years? How will they monetize it?

JG:It depends. You can profit without making a difference in the world or fulfilling the biggest potential. My hope is that business monetize it in a way that capitalizes on what makes these technologies so special. Social Media technologies enable an open dialogue w/ customers to garner feedback, ideas and provide customer service. I think ultimately businesses will realize that not every function of SM is about monetization. Certainly monetization is important and should be essential but it’s not everything, Much of what SM provides is the ability to bolster a brand’s reputation, add value to customers to build loyalty.If we focus solely on monetization then we end up like Facebook and we cease to respect our customers.

NMM:Last question what do you recommend to individuals on how to use SM effectively in a professional sense?

JG: Understand your goals. Plan. Learn about your audience. Be Generous. Be Authentic while using discretion.

Thanks for reading everyone and please comment below.