Author Archive

iOS app success is a lottery: 60% (or more) of developers don’t break even

Here is the full article by .

Situational usage of mobile devices

The ICON Aircraft – Sport Flying Revolution

image via iconaircraft.com

From the creator of the Freebord, comes the ICON Aircraft.  This revolution in small aircraft design is collapsible and portable.  Their website says ICON’s goal is to  “bring the freedom, fun, and adventure of flying to all who have dreamed of flight”.  Check out their website for more information:  iconaircraft.com

HDD Production won’t Return to Pre-Flood Levels Until the end of 2012

via Flickr user DigitalGlobe-Imagery

The many floods that occurred during 2011 monsoon season in Thailand have greatly devastated a large part of the country.  Reports say that over 12.8 million people have been affected by this disaster.  But what does this mean for the once bustling electronics production in these areas?  Seagate’s CEO Stephen Luczo paints a dreary picture:

[it will be] a difficult road ahead for the industry given that many of Seagate’s own 130 or so suppliers are still under three feet of water.

This disaster is expected to leave the industry 50 million short of their 180 million HDD production target this quarter alone.  By the time they regain capacity demand will have risen immensely.  Prices have already shot up 20%, next year they will surely be higher.

|Source|

Little Printer simplifies the News

BERG, a London based design company, created what they call the Little Printer.  This peripheral syncs with a smartphone application and prints personalized newspapers.  Inside the Little Printer is a thermal printer which essentially burns the image into the paper eliminating the need for costly ink.

Check out this video to clearly see the Little Printer in action:

Hello Little Printer, available 2012 from BERG on Vimeo.

This desktop companion would be a great addition to my x-mas list.  Too bad it won’t be available until sometime next year.

History of Data Storage

Here is an infographic I made for MIS3538: Social Media Innovation.

Click on the image for a larger version.

Protect IP Act Threatens The Internet As We Know It.

This video explains how the entertainment industry is threatening the fundamental freedoms of the Internet.  The Protect IP act, if passed, could threaten sites like youtube and twitter:  Please watch:

[vimeo width="500" height="280"]http://vimeo.com/31100268[/vimeo]

The government thinks that they are protecting the work of artists but they are limiting the ability for underdogs to promote themselves.  The risks of the Protect IP Act outweigh the benefit to the entertainment industry.  Freedom and the lack of censorship are what have made the internet evolve into such a powerful media.  This act must be stopped.

Tell Congress not to censor the internet NOW! – fightforthefuture.org/​pipa

via Vimeo user Fight for the Future

Could this be the beginning of the end for Flash?

Adobe announced this morning that they will be halting the development of Adobe Flash for mobile devices.  After the release of Flash Player 11.1 Adobe will rededicate their mobile development resources towards HTML5.  Adobe realized that HTML5 is “the best solution for creating and deploying content in the browser across mobile platforms”.

This move will allow Adobe to better focus their resources on the development of HTML5.  Flash has been a leader for web development but it was never successfully transitioned for mobile use.  It was commonly critiqued as being sluggish.  It will be interesting to see what innovative features Adobe will add to HTML5.

You can read Adobe’s announcement here.

Fujitsu plans to double the performance of the “K Supercomputer” …and then some.

In a previous post I outlined the incredible speeds that were capable by Fujitsu’s newest creation, the K Computer.  This computer’s performance peaks out at 10.51 Petaflop, their new system will more than double this.  This new system’s theoretical computational performance tops out at 23.2 petaflops.  Called the FX-10 this computer will be capable of running 6,291TB of memory.

image via Fujitsu

I asked “what is next?”.  Fujitsu answered: The FX-10.  And this time they aren’t messing around.  They expect to deploy 50 of these in the next 3 years.  Look for them as soon as January of next year, just be ready to write an enormous check.

|Source|

My Setup

I love technology. Old and New.