Student presentation, discussion question and other posts

What Prospective Employers Hope to See in Your Facebook Account?

In an oft-cited survey released by Microsoft Research in 2010, 69% of recruiters said they’d rejected applicants based on info they found online. The most frequent sins committed by job seekers was getting caught for lying about prior job qualifications (13%), followed by inappropriate photos, comments, and poor communications skills (11%) etc. At the same time the survey revealed that social networking profiles contribute to candidate getting hired if their Facebook profiles demonstrate creativity, well-roundedness, and ability not to tell lies about their educational and professional qualifications.
Check out the graphics and share your opinions.

7 Responses to What Prospective Employers Hope to See in Your Facebook Account?

• Avatar of Xin T. Zhou

wow, i find it shocking that 76 percent of them use Facebook and only 48 percent use Linkin.

• Avatar of Ugochukwu U. Opara

Yeah I agree with Xin, Its a shock to see facebook so dominant. I guess LinkedIn is where your open position and then Facebook is where you go to screen through the applicants?

• Avatar of Amanda A. Sullivan

I agree with Xin. It’s crazy how LinkedIn is the one site that promotes professional networking and employment, yet it is used the least. I have asked many friends who have graduated if LinkedIn has ever really provided any benefit to finding the current job that they have and most say no.

• Avatar of Jeevan Kaur

Its amazing how social media effects our daily lives. I think people need to be really careful as to what they post on facebook or other social network sites, employers do look at them. 69% rejection based on what was posted on social sites is pretty high. In todays economy where its even harder to find jobs, I think people should act smart and not post anything inappropriate.

• Avatar of Nathaniel H. Rosen

Employers are looking at Facebook profiles to point out the negative attributes of applicants in order to narrow down their selection of candidates. I think this is wrong because employers should be trying to leverage social media in order to find the positives of applicants. Just because someone may have a “unique” lifestyle doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be the best person for a position. Work and personal life should remain separate in all aspects of a career, including throughout the interview process. Professional social media platforms such as LinkedIn should be the only social media platform that employers should search if they are trying to research an applicant.

• Avatar of Charles Vesley

This is actually very interesting to see how employers look more into your Facebook and twitter as opposed to your Linked in.

• Avatar of Denisa Teme

I think its interesting how some employers are choosing potential candiates based on what they see on Facebook or Twitter. I feel like this may not be a full representation of the person.