DQ: Mobile app that ‘spots cancer with 100% accuracy in one hour!

I ran across this article that introduces a smart phone-based system that can tell the difference between benign tumours and their malignant counterparts with up to 100% accuracy. Compared to traditional tests which take up to weeks, this system only takes an hour to make the diagnosis. The benefits of this system are that only a small amount of tissue is needed, and it is relatively cheap to run. This would make it easier and more accessible for doctors to track cancer. The device is simply made of a miniature MRI machine connected to a smartphone with this app. The app computes the amount of vibrations from the MRI machine and provides the doctor with a read out. Within three years, this app could be regularly used in hospitals. Do you think this advancement in smart phones for something as serious as cancer is beneficial? Do you think it is a reliable method that could be used in hospitals? If an app can detect cancer, what is next?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1360593/The-mobile-phone-app-spots-cancer-100-accuracy-ONE-HOUR.html

10 Responses to “DQ: Mobile app that ‘spots cancer with 100% accuracy in one hour!”

• Seems like a really cool idea but I don’t really understand why it would be a smartphone app. Wouldn’t it make more sense to just have it function on a dedicated output device, rather than the doc whipping out his iPhone to check results? Regardless, it’s still a great invention and a great advancement in medicine.

• This is crazy! I am very confused why this is a smart phone app. Anyways, I do think that is beneficial and could save a lot of lives by finding cancer right away and providing treatment asap. However, my main question is will this machine tell the patient what type of cancer that they have?

• I think this is an amazing development. The faster cancer can be diagnosed and treated the greater the odds of survival. The best part is that the procedure to capture the cell sample is not invasive and doesn’t require any down time.

• You asked a great question. If people can make an app that can help track cancer that what else can the human mind come up with. 100% accuracy is amazing. Technology has allowed us to create things smaller (miniature MRI) and more efficient (a read in a hour).

• This is an amazing technology, but I do not believe that there is 100% accuracy. Machines, like humans, make mistakes and malfunction. Agreeing with Basil, technology has brought miniaturization and increased efficiency. But nothing in life is capable of being right 100% of the time.
    And weird that they would make it into a phone app. I’m assuming their rationale is to make it available to the public easily and quickly.

• I agree that 100% accurcy from a mobile app that detects cancer seems very exaggerated. I’m also a little confused. Does the doctor need to purchase a miniature MRI machine as well? These are probably pretty costly.

• This is such a phenomenal achievement – so phenomenal that it’s too good to be true. Number one reason that makes me doubt this app, is that nothing in the Universe is proven to be 100% accurate. There is always some room for error… Looking forward to listen to your presentation.

• Cool app, but not sure if I completely buy into it. I feel the medical field would have already developed a device to 100% completely detect cancer before this mobile app was developed. The app may provide strong signals and signs of cancer, but its accuracy would have to be more thoroughly tested against current cancer detection devices.

• I think this is a reliable method that could be used. How amazing development is! The faster can diagnose cancer, the better can destroy cancer. And I can’t very believe it is 100% accuracy! If an app can detect cancer, I believe an app could help destroying cancer…

• This is really cool. The development of cheap and efficient technology like this certainly has implications around the world. The first thing that comes to mind is the use of something like this in a developing country that may not be able to afford expensive medical equipment at every hospital. A relatively inexpensive tool that works with a smartphone app for helping detect cancer could be of great value in situations like that. The advancement of modern medical technology is amazing, as also seen in the skin gun post a few weeks ago.