Student presentation, discussion question and other posts

Discussion Question: Texting While Walking?

I saw one of the most recent Discussion Questions posts was asking what you thought was the best April Fool’s Prank.  Well, one prank made headlines in Philly on Sunday, and that was a painted “Texting Lane” on the sidewalk near City Hall on JFK Boulevard.

It is supposed to be a joke lane designated for people walking that get distracted on their electronic devices.  It was a public prank that was staged to raise awareness about walking and texting, but some people did not take it that way.

This is probably in response to the fake story about making texting while walking illegal in Philadelphia last year.

I think the whole thing is pretty funny, but I’m not sure about the issue when it’s on a sidewalk.

What do you guys think about ‘texting while walking’ and is this really a potential issue?

19 Responses to Discussion Question: Texting While Walking?

• Frivolous spending of taxpayer money in the per capita murder & child abuse capital of the country which has neighborhoods where the devil says goodnight and where 40% of the public school pupils are truant daily; where only 63% of the people eligible have a high school diploma many of which are of questionable value to begin with. For all the ethnic jokes concocted in the US, America is quickly becoming the butt! Keep wasting… it’s only China that’s waitng for loans to be serviced and israel is awaitng its handout.

• Avatar of Jay R Mori

This is a pretty dangerous thing to do especially when crossing the street. People need to pay attention otherwise they can get injured or can injure someone else.

• Avatar of David M. Lamb

I agree with Jay about this topic a real issue when it comes to texting and crossing a street. For the most part, it isn’t a big deal as long as you have basic common sense. I was wonder why this was on the pavement of JFK.

• Avatar of Eric E. Moses

I don’t think texting and walking is such a bad thing if people have common sense about it. Obviously you shouldn’t be texting while you’re crossing a street, but if you’re just walking in an area you’re familiar with and you look up when you get to a street it doesn’t seem that bad. As long as there aren’t a lot of people around and you aren’t causing them to avoid you, people have the right to risk tripping and hurting themselves by texting and walking if they want.

• Avatar of Isaac J. Blaylock

It’s funny but becoming a real issue. Have you ever walked down liacoras walk and been bumped into by someone on the phone or texting and not paying attention. I think something like this would raise the awareness factor and like jay said when crossing street or in dangerous areas it can be a safety issue.

• Avatar of Natalie M. Divalentino

That’s awesome! Too many times I have had someone walk into me because they were too busy texting. I think it should be less of a joke and more of a reality.

• Avatar of Joby George

Texting and walking is a potential problem. People seem to lose awareness. This would be extremely hazardous while crossing the street. I don’t mind it if they’re just walking the sidewalk. A little bump won’t cause too much pain

• Avatar of Lisa Chowning

I think it shows a lack of commonsense and poor judgment. You should always be alert and aware of your surroundings, for your own safety and that of others around you.

• Avatar of Iris Kapo

I see a lot of kids crossing Broad, without looking up from their phones and many times, they are just following the crowd, which is crossing on a red light. People, at least Temple students, definitely need to be more aware when they are crossing busy intersections. I think the prank was great for raising awareness!

• Avatar of Taylor E. Duscha

I think that from the numerous videos we see on youtube of people walking into walls, traffic, poles, etc while texting, we can see it’s a bad idea. It’s hard to focus on so many things while moving and it keeps your vision focused away from the road. Not only is it dangerous for the person actually doing the texting, but for everyone around them as well. I love the extra lane gag, but it is something that society definitely needs to stop doing.

• Avatar of Gloria Angel

I was walking to work the other day and this student walked into oncoming traffic, he was texting, had headphones listening to music and not paying attention at all. Everyone screamed at him and one person grabbed him from his hoodie & yanked him back just in time. The driver looked panic stricken and had to pull over. It was a close call, we were all awake after that.
    It has become a problem, the gag was fun but people fell for it because whoever did it was trying to shed some light on a growing problem.

• Avatar of Gregory J Lynch

Yeah I definitely have seen some dumb people walk across the street without really paying attention to anything but their phone, but it is funny because I guess it’s a big enough issue for them to do this

• Avatar of Michael J Smith

I don’t think it is a huge issue, but people have to be more aware of their surroundings. If you are walking in a congested area and are crossing streets, you definitely should not have your head constantly down looking at your phone. It is a funny joke and it seems more and more people are walking around the city streets with their electronic devices out.

• Avatar of George A Varghese

I do it all the time and never really worry about the dangers of texting while walking. Sometimes, I get so distracted while I’m texting that by the time I look up, I’m already halfway home. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal but it is a concern that should be addressed.

• Avatar of Jeevan Kaur

I have to admit I text while walking but I do try to avoid whenever I can. Its a serious issue as people lose focus and get hit by some vehicle or other stationary objects. Texting is great but be careful.

• Avatar of Basil Benny

Texting while walking has become a serious problem, but I don’t think it’s necessary to make a separate line for those who do. There is no reason to jeopardize yourself or anyone else when doing a simple task like walking. Just don’t do it.

• Avatar of Damanjeet Singh

From personal experience, I have witnessed people almost getting hit by a car while crossing the street. So I do think this is potential issue which can be easily solved by not walking and texting all the time with your head down.

• Avatar of Fashion Girl

Well, we don’t have to go far to observe how many people text and walk – Temple is a great example of this. Students walk into each other all the time. I’m getting hit by “texting students” almost on every break. People became obsessed with their electronic devices, and don’t pay attention to anything else anymore. I think there should be a low – “NO TEXTING while Walking” because it started with walking and ended with driving, causing more accidents than ever.