Student presentation, discussion question and other posts

BLOG.REVIEW

This article hit on a subject I have thought heavily about in the past. The rising level of people’s web presence and the always-present greedy tendencies has created a community of fake reviewers online. Since the wide adoption of internet shopping and purchasing research happening online, the best way to gauge the authenticity or quality of product has been user reviews. A lot of the time, when I am on the fence about a product or destination, user reviews are the deciding factor on what decision I make. That’s why when I read reviews, I always search on multiple sites to get a variety of reviews to gather a range of opinions. Having these fake reviewers out there can really discredit not only the website, but also all the “real” reviews that are out there as well.

One statement that stood out to me in the article read “We evolved over 60,000 years by talking to each other face to face… Now we’re communicating in these virtual ways. It feels like it is much harder to pick up clues about deception.” This makes a lot of sense. The researchers at Cornell are doing the write thing, trying to fight digital culprits with the digital crime fighter application that is the fraud detector.

In the future, sites that don’t use this fraud detector will fall wayside to any competitors that do use it. Internet users need trustworthy sources to research products before they buy and the sites that can offer that credibility will be the ones who will prevail.

Article Link

One Response to BLOG.REVIEW

• Avatar of Jay R Mori

This is a great article. I think that the web presence has provened to be overwhelming and its going to make talking to people face to face obselete. We as people need to interact with each other to keep us engaged. If the web takes over then who knows what is going to happen?