Areas Of Concern For The Jets

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7830633

The NFL draft is only a day away and the Jets have a few areas of concern. It is rare that the Jets failed in free agency to fill the gaps of their starting team, but this year it has happened for four of their crucial positions. These positions include; Right Tackle, Outside Linebacker, Wide Receiver and Safety.

They have a big void on the right side of the offensive line that could possibly be plugged in the first round with Stanford RG David DeCastro who is allegedly one of the greatest guards to enter the draft in the past decade. This would be tough to pass up, however, right tackle is of a greater need than the guard position. That being said, there are a few solid second and third rounders that will be available. These players include Bobbie Massie, Mitchell Schwartz, Mike Adams and Kelechi Osemelle.

Plaxico Burress has also created a opening at wide receiver that would be nice to fill. Will a very large wide receiver pool available in this draft, the question becomes, how long will they be willing to wait to pick a wide out? The two that are on my radar as dynamite game changers are Michael Floyd out of ND and Alshon Jeffery out of South Carolina. With Jeffery, they can most likely hold out until round two, so he would be the favored receiver in the draft.

The next issue is at OLB and ILB. The Jets are aging rather quickly and that usually is not a good sign for linebackers. This draft definitely showcases many possible first round picks for the Jets. If they can trade up from 16 to somewhere around 8 or 10, Melvin Ingram could be in their sights. If not Ingram, then my front runner would have to be Courtney Upshaw out of Alabama. He played in the Nick Saban pro-like defensive system and his story is similar to that of Michael Oher, who was portrayed in the movie The Blind Side. Asside from Upshaw is Chandler Jones and Whitney Mercilus.

Finally, I move to the Safety position. Currently the Jets only have two safeties, Laron Landry and Eric Smith. They have recently been pursuing Yeremiah Bell. Bell is an experienced safety in the league that was just dumped by the Dolphins due to the salary cap. Another possibility would be to draft Mark Barron with the 16th pick, should he drop that far.

The Jets have alot of options with their 10 picks in the 2012 draft. I would assume they are trying to find 3 or 4 immediate starters out of this bunch, so there is major curiosity as to who they may draft. This shall indeed be an interesting draft with some major storylines ahead of us.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Mr. 4000

Top 10 Players For Most Hits Of All Time

1) Pete Rose – 4256
2) Ty Cobb – 4189
3) Hank Aaron – 3771
4) Stan Musial – 3630
5) Tris Speaker – 3514
6) Carl Yastrzemski – 3419
7) Cap Anson – 3418
8) Honus Wagner – 3415
9) Paul Molitor – 3319
10) Eddie Collins – 3315

19) Derek Jeter – 3118

Less than 1 year ago, everyone was cheering when Derek Jeter hit his 3000th hit, initiating him to the Mr. 3000 club. But I never had imagined that he has a shot a 4000.The funny thing is, that I have always viewed him as a iconic shortstop and never really associated him among the top of offensive players.

For the past 16 years, I have witnessed the boy turn into a man. He makes play after play, day in and day out. I can still remember watching the 1996 World Series and watching Jeter start a rally late in Game 2 to prevent the Yankees from heading back to the Bronx down 0-2. Then the famous flip play in the 2001 ALDS to throw out Jeremy Giambi at home plate. Everything this man does is great and he perfectly exemplifies the word greatness. I mean, any man with 5 World Series rings defines greatness.

Back to his race to 4000, by 2012′s finale, Jeter may pass Paul Molitor and take over the title of #9 of all time. Especially with the way he is playing right now. His batting average through 16 games is .411. If it weren’t for Josh Hamilton’s 8 home runs in 17 games, I would have to say Derek Jeter is the front runner for MVP. That is one of the awards he has yet to claim in his career. This just shows that age has nothing to do with production out of a guy like him. This is a 38 year old having the best beginning to any season he has ever had. He appears to be in great shape, so although 4,000 may seem a bit out of his range, if he can stay healthy for 4 or 5 more years, we may see the third player to ever reach the 4,000 hit milestone.

Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)

Rangers Refuse To Go Down Without A Fight

Lundqvist: ‘It’s An Absolute Joke’ (ESPN video)

Down 3-2, the Rangers went into Game 6 with a win or go home situation. They seemed to have come out of the gates a little flat and the offense was a struggle for both teams from the start. This would appear to be a good sign considering are X factor just happens to be arguably the best goaltender in the league. That advantage quickly disappeared as the Senators found the back of the net on their first power play of the game at the 7:05 mark. This was not a good sign for any Rangers’ fans after the heartbreak of two overtime losses in this series. Sometimes the better team doesn’t win and that thought was running through my mind.

Thankfully, the floodgates were opened in the 2nd period and the Rangers banged out 3 goals like rapid fire. It all began on a power play kill that frustrated a confident Senator team. With a 5-4 man advantage, the Senators committed a penalty of their own, resulting in a 4 on 4 which eventually led to a 5 on 4 for the Rangers. This is when Derek Stepan found the back of the net revitalizing this team while demoralizing Ottawa even more. Not only did they kill one power play resulting from another Senator dumb penalty, they got a gift from the referees resulting in a goalie interference call against Ottawa’s Nick Foligno. This eventually created a 5 on 3 advantage where Brad Richards ripped a shot through the armpit of goalie Chris Anderson. That made the score 2-1 in favor of New York. Not too much later, Chris Kreider recorded his first career goal with 41 seconds remaining in the second, which could not have come at a better time. Any hope the Senators had was crushed by that 3rd and final goal by Kreider.

The game appeared over when the Senators pulled the goalie to make it a 6 on 5 skater advantage. They crowded the net and eventually put one past Lundqvist with a little over 30 seconds remaining. This struck up major controversy because Lundqvist was covering the puck and then was removed from on top of it by an Ottawa player shoving him with his stick. Not only was that a horrible no call from the refs, which Henrik clearly acknowledged in the press conference shown above, but the puck appeared to be guided into the net off of Chris Neil’s skate. Unfortunately the call on the ice was a goal and the evidence reviewed by the ref was inconclusive, resulting in a 3-2 final score.

Regardless of controversial calls, the Rangers live on to see a Game 7 with home ice and momentum in New York’s favor.

There is Still Hope For Linsanity

Jeremy Lin’s tweet made the Knick’s win even sweeter. Don’t get me wrong though, that was a great win over the Hawks keeping the chances of a 6th seed still possible. If the Knicks can win out against the Clippers and Bobcats and the Magic can lose out against the Bobcats and Grizzlies, the Knicks will claim the 6th spot.

If we can avoid playing the Heat in the first round, we may get to see round 2 of LINSANITY. Jeremy turned the season around so it would only be fitting that he made a roar in the playoffs. If not, we will always remember the glorious moments of his 2012 season. The buzzer beater against Toronto and making Kobe look silly.

In the meantime, Baron Davis is going to have to continue to play well and step it up in the playoffs. Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert are going to have to keep playing outrageous defense. Steve Novak must continue make it rain. Amare is going to have to stay healthy and be the major presence he is. Mello is going to have to be Mello. If all goes according to plan, this is not a team you want to see in the playoffs. I am by no means guaranteeing a thing, but I am guaranteeing that this team will give anyone a run for their money. Not to mention, a return of Jeremy Lin would add some extra point guard play and some added depth. Anyway, the playoffs are right around the corner and I cannot wait!

Happy 100th Birthday Fenway Park

I can’t have a New York sports blog and not blog about the epic 15-9 comeback victory over the Sox. Coming right after the day Fenway Park celebrated it’s 100th birthday, the Yanks come in and crush those Red Sox. The score ended 15-9 but going into the 6th inning, Boston had a 9-0 lead. I was getting ready to throw in the towel and then the runs started pouring in. Swisher hitting a grand slam followed by a 3 run dinger from Teixeira, the score was suddenly 9-8. The way the Red Sox bullpen is looking, I would prefer to put Little Leaguers out there if I was Bobby V. Their closer couldn’t even record an out in the 8th, facing 7 Yankees and walking 4 of them. Are you kidding me? This pathetic pitching outbreak lead to 7 more runs in the 8th. Making it a 15-9 victory for the Bombers in extraordinary comeback fashion.

What this means: sweep of the Red Sox on Fenway’s birthday, Yankees tied for first place in the division and the Red Sox in last. I couldn’t ask for a better way to start the first 15 games of the season.

NY Giants 2012 Schedule

What better way for the defending champs to kick off their season with the Cowboys coming to the Meadowlands. This brings an intriguing match-up and rivalry seeing how the Cowboys blew their opportunity for a playoff run and the Giants taking their playoff spot and then winning the Super Bowl. There is definitely some bad blood from last season and will bring upon a battle for the century.

The G men have an extremely difficult schedule which could prevent them from making the playoffs and repeating. Just look at the last half of their schedule. Ending with a usually hot Eagles team that is out for vengeance after last season having arguably the best team in the NFL. Right before that game, I foresee them getting beat up in the week prior against a hard hitting Ravens team and not to mention a little guy that goes by the name, Ray Rice. I honestly can only pick out one team that they should hands down beat and that team is the Browns. Other than that, maybe the Redskins but if RG3 can pull off a Cam Newton type year, they are no gimme. Finally, I see the Saints possibly being easy with operation bounty hunter going down in New Orleans. That team has a big question mark next to their name. Other than those 3 teams, the Giants could have a losing record by seasons end.