Archive for March 2012

Tebow to the Jets

The only good thing about this is that the Jets can now run the best wildcat offense in the NFL. Other than that, this makes no sense since the Jets just spent $40 million on an extension for Sanchez. So the real question is why did the Jets make this move?

The first thing that comes to mind is that Woody Johnson relishes on the fact that the Jets are the focal pont of New York media. Woody’s main goal is to grab more attention than the Giants, even though they are winning super bowls and the Jets are not. Part of me feels that since Tebow is all over ESPN, the Jets wanted him so they could be the main focus on ESPN. This is a typical Jets move. It reminds me of the Jets on HBO’s hit, Hard Knocks. It reminds me of Rex’s super bowl guarantees year after year. Basically, I am not sold on this trade, but for the price that they got him for, a 4th round pick in the draft, it seems like a worth while chance.

Will Tebow take his winning habits from the Broncos and Florida to the Jets? Will Sparano’s wildcat be successful on the Jets? Will Sanchez’s be negatively affected by Tebow’s presence? All of these are great questions to this trade for Tebow. This trade is creating alot of hype and as a Jets fan, I hope it works out and propels them to the Super Bowl.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Mike Woodson Reviving Knicks

0318-mike-woodson-300.jpg

With the Knicks on a 6 game losing streak and the Milwaukee Bucks making a trade for Monte Ellis, it appeared that the Bucks were destined for the 8th seed in the playoffs. Then Mike Woodson came out of the shadows and jolted the Knicks on a 3 game winning streak. He has revived the Knicks just like Lin revived us a little over a month ago. Woodsanity is the next thing to take New York by surprise.

Looking at the numbers, since Woodson took over as the interim head coach, Knicks defense has been stifling, holding the opposition to 39% shooting and limiting them to 12 less points per 100 possessions than under D’antoni. The Knicks defense has looked rejuvenated since D’antoni stepped down. Personally, I felt that D’antoni should have been canned after the loss to the Celtics back in early February. Clearly, Carmello was playing selfish basketball to get D’antoni fired or get him to resign. Mello’s performance on the defensive end has been sensational in the past 3 games and it doesn’t appear that he will slow down.

I am a huge fan of Woodson’s coaching style. I like the more frequent usage of isolations and pick and rolls. This type of offense caters to Mello and A’mare. As much as I hate to say that, they are the focal points of the offense. So the ball needs to go through them almost every possession and that has lacked over the past month with the emergence of young Jeremy Lin.

The Knicks look to be playoff bound but only time will tell if this Mike Woodson revival of the Knicks will be sustained over the rest of the season.

Sanchez Signs a 3 Year Extension

With all of the hype surrounding Peyton Manning this offseason, the possibility of him signing with the Jets seemed high. From all of the reports and headlines from past weeks, the Jets appeared to be a final four team for landing the best quarterback in the NFL. With the recent 3 year extension added to Mark Sanchez’s contract, the possibility of landing Peyton Manning is no more.

Although it would have been amazing to have the best quarterback in the league playing on the Jets, I am still a huge supporter of Sanchez and with the right offensive line and coaches, he could be on the path for success. Sanchez has rallied the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games while being a quarterback in the league for 3 years. This proves in the right system, Sanchez is a winner. However, last season was a different story. When the Jets decided to turn to a pass heavy offense, Sanchez began to struggle so hopefully with the addition of Tony Sparano, the Jets can go back to a run first offense.

The part of this extension that makes no sense to me is that Sanchez was given a three year extension for $40.5 million. When are quarterback has arguably his worst season, why go and give him more money. So in addition to the next 2 years on his contract and the 3 year extension, he is getting a total of $58.25 million over the next 5 years. Not to mention a $10 million escalator if he plays exceptionally well.  This is a lot of money to be paying a guy who led his team to 8-8 last season. One can only hope that this turns out how Tannenbaum and Rex had hoped when constructing the deal.

Categories
Groups