Author Archive

The social media innovations class at temple was a very influential and eye opening class. It allowed us to see the world we are living in changing to become the new way businesses will be doing business, and how to use these new technologies to our advantage. Through social media innovations business can cut cost while still reaching out to their customers and reeling in new customers as well.

I cannot think of any specific personal references where i have virally marketed a product or service, however i have on many occasions posted a status about a product or service that i have really enjoyed. Also i have promoted status’ about events that i am attending and their locations so they other could join along in the fun.

Viral Marketing is very effective for certain products, because when things go viral. Millions of people see them, and then they tell all of their friends. This creates the link for eveyone and usually millions of people see the product.

In many ways social media is new, and many ways its not. It not new in ways because people have always interacted and talked to one another, forever. However when the word media is involved it is thought of as news, radio, TV, magazines, etc… It has now become much more then that, in a way AOL was the first innovator of this with its instant messaging. Then Cell Phones were starting to gain popularity around the same time. These grew along with emails, and these three methods started a new way to begin discussing and interacting with everyone. The way social media is used today is completely different then it has ever been, i have recently just got a smart phone and i cannot believe the amount of information that i have at my fingertips. Anything i need i can do, however without that it wasn’t possible. The grow of Facebook, twitter, AOL instant messenger, emails, cell phone text messages, has changed the way everyone interacts with one another. It requires new skills, because people need to learn to ways to interact with people and get the attention of people that personally do not know. It is difficult to get the attention of someone when you do not know how to spark their interest. It is going to be interesting to see how someone will find a way to take over this part of society at the dawning of the age of technology.

There are many new ways to promote your website, one would be through Facebook ads. Ads can be purchased for a relatively cheap price, and can be used to market on popular sites, and even competitors. As people are surfing on Facebook checking out different things they are interested in, they may see an add come up for music to my shoes. I hope this will get more people to our site. Also i would like to get some type of popular video or picture and create some internet buzz, and generate visits to our site. The rationale would be to get people to check out the video and then they are on our site and we are generating views. I will hope to get more visits due to the video then the content. I will consider more visits and re visits to our page a success.

On Tuesday night i attended the 11th annual temple I.T. awards, it was my first time going to this ceremony. Its was also my first time in mitten hall, i found this event to be rather interesting and went extremely well. I did not attend the after party at Pubb Webb because i had other academic priorities to attend to. However, in the hours i spent at the awards, i spoke with several classmates, several professors and other members of temple’s high ranking members. Overall i found this event to be interesting, and useful. I will definitely attend it next year. Here are some pictures from the event.

I have completed 4 square task 2. I have earned three badges, one was for my first check in. The second was called the swarm, in which i attended an event that 50 other members of 4 square also attended. The third was when i checked into work, when i was there 4 times in a week, which happens quite often. I like checking into places on 4 sqaure because it gives you tips and hints on places to go that are near by your current location. It also shows who the mayor of that location is and it is a fun interactive check in on places you have been and plan to go.

The first company I choose to do research about and which helped me do the research was Google. Google had become a huge hit since its inception in 1998 and it has changed the world ever since. Anything anyone ever needed to research was at their fingertips on the Google website. Even thought Google does not have direct links to Facebook and Twitter on their website, or corporate website, you can easily navigate there using Google. There are a variety of different Google sites on Facebook and Twitter, from their own internet browser( Google Chrome) to Google chat, etc…

The Second Company I choose to do research on was the local radio station 97.5FM The Fanatic. This is a local sports talk radio on the FM station, one of the first in the entire country. It has become so popular that it has its own app for the smart phone, they’re are 4 different hosts throughout the day, each of them having Facebook and Twitter accounts. On these Facebook and Twitter accounts, and also on their text board they are able to interact with many fans during real time. Also it is a great way for businesses to promote themselves, whether it be on air or on the website. On their website they have links to their Facebook, Twitter, the text board, and how to download the app for your smart phone.

Both companies do great jobs of promoting themselves, they have both built up reputations and have earned the reputations they have built. Google doesn’t really need to gain anything from social media because they have already redefined how to use the internet and the way people do research. However, 97.5FM The Fanatic uses the social media to their advantage to help them gain more listeners to the shows. The hosts of the shows are able to talk to the listeners while there on the show. Instead of everyone having to wait to call in and talk, people can send messages, or post comments on their Facebook wall. They can have social interactions through Twitter, or you can send them a text message. I feel these are great ways to reach out to listeners and bring more listeners to their following.

Depending on what type of company it was is how I would measure its success. However, i personally believe that the way 97.5FM is doing is it incredible. I have been listening to them for a year and a half and their following has increased substantially. They made the switch to FM in 2008, and haven’t looked back. The way they interact with the fans and how they promote different events and get listeners to follow them and listen to them is great.

I am going to pick the Philadelphia Phillies as the company I would like to discussion for this blog question.  The reason I am picking the phillies is because the season is about to begin and their remains a lot of unquestioned looks at the Phillies and how they are going to perform this season. I would describe the Phillies as a hybrid organization. Even thought the team has to follow the rules stated by Major League Baseball, they still get to make their own choices in their organization.

The current team has had a face lift of sorts from the roster that was of championship caliber in 2008. In order for the Phillies to have great success this season they need to be led by their four CHAMPIONS, the four starting pitchers in the rotation, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels. It is key for these pitches to excel every time they are on the mound in order for the Phillies to dominate throughout the regular season and deep into the playoffs.

On the other side it will also be important for the CATALYSTS of the offense to have big seasons this year as well. They are Jimmy Rollins, and Ryan Howard. With the loss of Jayson Werth in free agency and the return of Chase Utley unknown, it is going to be important for these two players to get big hits early and often in games, to get the team fired up and ready to produce runs. These offensive catalysts are going to be a huge factor in helping out the Champions, in order for this team to be successful. Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard( Catalysts) along with the staring rotation(Champions) are going to have to work together day in and day out for this hybrid organization to have success and bring home another World Series Chamopionship.

Recently i purchased the iPhone . With that i started downloading many apps. I got an app for facebook. Which allows you to check to places that you are at. This can be used simultaneously with four square. So while checking in at facebook, you are also checking in on four square. It connects you to other places around your nearby area and you can earn badges for things that you do and places your check in at. I am still learning how to use it, so as i progress we will see how it goes.

FaceBook World News?

Is Facebook a viable publishing platform? In my opinion this is a difficult question to answer. The new social media explosion has opened up new venues for people to interact and connect with one another. Could this be the next huge advancement in social media? Particularly through Facebook. The idea of a live news feed for Facebook is an excellent one at that, however the only non-excellent idea about this is the sources in which the journalist will be receiving this information. If they go through the proper steps and do there research and make sure they have a credible source. Then yes Facebook can be used a credible news source. However if these steps for distributing information across a large network that isn’t true then this form of mass propaganda could be detrimental to society. As long as the proper steps are taken and the sources are credible, then social media in the form of Facebook, can be a very cost effective, wide spreading information tools for the people on the world to access and use.