Archive for February 2012

Rad and Kell

This upcoming Saturday (February 18th), the band performing at JD McGillicuddys Roxborough is called Rad & Kell. “Rad” refers to Matt Radomile, one of the two singers and the guitarist for the band. He and “Kell”, Kelly McGlynn (the other singer, lead vocalist) both attend La Salle University together. These duo have been together for almost a year now and have a rapidly growing fan base. They cover a variety of different artists and different style of music.

Rad & Kell’s Facebook Page

Rad & Kell’s Offical Website

Definitely go on and check them out. They not only are incredible performers but make an effort to take minimal breaks, which definitely keeps their shows going smoothly. On both their Facebook page and their website, they have posted dates of all of their scheduled events. Try and make it out to JD  McGillicuddys on Saturday to see them (no cover!). If not, see if any other date/venue works for you! They are a band worth watching. Check out the links below for a few of my personal favorite cover songs they have recorded!

Photo 1: Taken from Kelly McGlynn’s Facebook Page

Rad & Kell – Warwick Avenue (Cover)

Rad & Kell – Little Talks (Cover)

Rad & Kell – At Last (Cover)

PICKLEBACK

Today I decided to write on here about a shot that is commonly referred to as a “Pickleback” shot. When hearing what the shot actually consists of, you might turn up your nose a little. But, you can’t knock it til you try it! To make a Pickleback shot you need:

• Jameson Irish Whiskey (or whichever whiskey is your prefference) (1 ounce per shot)
  • Pickle Juice (1 ounce per shot)

This shot is presented as two separate shots. One shot glass will be full of Jameson (generally, not chilled – but if you prefer chilled whiskey that is your preference). The second shot glass will be full of PICKLE juice. I would recommend pouring the juice into the shot glass using a strainer to avoid any pickle-residue interfering with your swallowing of the juice. The first shot you take is the whiskey, followed immediately by the shot of pickle juice. It sounds gross when said out loud, but this is actually a relatively popular shot. The pickle juice totally takes away from any burning/remaining taste in your mouth of whiskey. I am not a huge whiskey drinker but even I can take this shot with little to no hash back afterwards. I wouldn’t recommend this as a drink to serve at a party (For starters because you don’t want people taking constant straight shots, and secondly because many people won’t be interested in taking a full shot of pickle juice) – but for a night out with friends it is a great shot to get the night going (or keep it going)! A very popular shot on St Patrick’s Day!

Photo 1: http://www.liquorsnob.com/pictures/jameson_pickle_back.jpg

Purple Gatorade

Purple Gatorade Shots

Another shot that has become increasingly popular is the “Purple Gatorade” (also just called Gatorade). These shots are one of my personal favorites. They look and taste like the purple Gatorade FIERCE. This shot is both easy to make and easier to take for those who have difficulty taking “straight” shots. They taste sweet while remaining to be a very thin consistency. If you want to make these, you’ll need:

• Grape vodka (preferably 3 olives Grape) ( ½ oz per shot)
  • Blue Curacoa liqueur ( ½ oz per shot)
  • Grenadine liqueur syrup (added to color, roughly ¼ oz)

Fill a cocktail mixer with ice. Add the vodka and blue curacoa and shake. The shot will look bright blue. Add the grenadine and shake again. It should look the same, deep purple as purple Gatorade. Pour (using strainer so ice is held back) and serve/enjoy!

IMAGE: mnr.onthescene.com

Long night, Long Islands..

Long Island Iced Tea

A Long Island Iced Tea is a drink that is undoubtedly ordered by someone (or many people) every shift. It is a MUST KNOW by bartenders. I, personally, make at least 10-15 Long Islands on a Friday or Saturday night shift, but this number can vary greatly depending on the crowd at your bar. I enjoy the taste of these drinks. The sweet and sour mix used really cancels out the strong alcohol taste, but they will make you feel TERRIBLE the next day – so beware! Ingredients include:

• Vodka (1 oz)
  • Tequila (1 oz)
  • Rum (1 oz)
  • Gin (1 oz)
  • Triple Sec (1 oz)
  • Sweet and Sour Mix (1 ½ oz)
  • Coca-Cola (A splash)
  • Orange Juice (A splash)
  • Lemon Wedge

Pour the vodka, tequila, rum, gin, triple sec, sweet and sour mix, and orange juice over a pint glass full of ice. Cover the glass (or pour into shaker) and give a few good shakes. Add a splash of Coca-Cola (mostly for color). Garnish with a lemon wedge and enjoy (or serve)!

PHOTO: by Machomikemd

WARNING: These drinks (consisting of MOSTLY liquor) can be dangerous! Watch and manage your intake of them, unless you want to end up like this………..

…………………….or this

(**** Real picture, taken of my roommate on the day after her 21st birthday where she consumed one too many Long Islands)

Girl Scout Cookie Shots

Today it seems like there are more different mixed shots than ever before. A “girl scout cookie” shot is currently extremely popular for a younger age group (21-25). The shot is green in color and meant to taste like a thin-mint cookie (and when made right, it really does!). This shot tends to have a “thicker” consistency, like cream. Some people enjoy it because of that. It can make it feel like it goes down a lot smoother. I enjoy this shot but you’ll find it’s weak, and bars will charge you anywhere from $5-$7 per one. To make this shot, you need:

• Bailey’s Irish Cream (1/2 oz. per shot)
  • Kahlua coffee liqueur(1/2 oz. per shot)
  • Crème de Menthe (there is WHITE or GREEN Crème de Menthe, generally the green is preferred for this shot) (1/2 oz. per shot)
  • Crème de Cocoa (1/2 oz. per shot)

First, fill a Cocktail Shaker with ice (if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, a large class will work just fine!). The amount of liqueur needed depends on how many shot you are planning on making.  For this example, we’ll assume you’re making 4 shots. Pour 2 oz. of Kahlua, 2 oz. of Bailey’s, 2 oz. of Crème de Cocoa, and 2 oz. of Crème de Menthe over the ice. Cover the shaker (shakers come with COVERS that allow you to easily shake and pour…….. if using a glass you can cover with a plastic cup that fits tightly over the top) and SHAKE vigorously! Pour (using strainer so ice is held back) and enjoy.

IMAGE: Creativ Studio Heinemann/Westend61/Corbis

Afternoon Bloody Marys… !

Bloody Marys’ are a popular mid-day drink for any occasion. Many people have strong feelings about this drink: either love them or hate them! I am a huge fan of Bloody Marys, but have definitely had some poorly made ones. However, when made right, this drink can be very delicious! I will give you a general idea of the quantity of each ingredient, but you’ll find with Bloody Mary’s it really is all about preference. I like mine spicy (so you would add extra tabasco and horseradish) but some people do NOT like it that way. It’s a drink you just learn how you like as you go. This is great for morning/afternoon parties that you want to serve alcohol at. Ingredients include:

• Unflavored Vodka brand of your choice (1 ½ oz.)
  • Clamato Juice ( ½ cup)
  • Worcestershire sauce (a dash)
  • Tabasco (dash)
  • Salt ( ¼ teaspon)
  • Pepper ( ¼ teaspoon)
  • Horseradish to taste
  • Lemon wedge
  • Lime wedge
  • Celery stalk
  • OPTIONAL: green olives or shrimp

Fill a pint sized glass with ice. Pour vodka and clamato juice over the ice. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of Tabasco sauce (sometimes a person prefers more/less of both, add to taste). Add the salt, pepper, and horseradish (generally I will do ½ of a teaspoon of horseradish, but again it is to taste and preference). Cover glass and SHAKE! Garnish with a celery stalk, lime wedge, and lemon wedge. I like to also garnish with 4-5 green olives. For a fun party idea, you can garnish with shrimp! Pretty and yummy!

Beers, Bands, and Cocktails

My name is Samantha Turner. I am a Senior at Temple University. I am studying Accounting with a minor in Management Information Systems. I am driven to succeed in the business world and can not wait to be able to get on hand experience in public accounting. Last summer I had a job in the compensation department at Aramark. This upcoming summer I will be fulfilling an internship position at PricewaterhouseCoopers. I am excited and enthusiastic to learn. While in school, I work at a chain bar JD McGillicuddy’s. The interaction with people at this job is unlike any other! Good and bad, it has definitely helped me deal with understanding what my customer is looking for and the criteria for satisfaction. I have decided to use my blog throughout the semester to update interesting drinks that are trending today, different events happening at my bar, and anything else that may come up there. Drinks aren’t as simple as straight whiskey, anymore! Through the semester I will walk you through fun drink ideas for a party and fun venues or bands to have at them.

Twitter
Categories