The “take away” I’ve learned from this course is that the incorporation and effective utilization of social media is critical to the life of any business or organization that wants to function in this day and time.   Social media should be considered in all aspects of business. It should be accounted for from the very first strategic planning processes. Finally, businesses, governments, etc. should not underestimate the power and value of social media and its various outlets.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)

With the power of the Internet and information being made readily available at the stroke of a key, viral marketing is sure to take off in product exposure and sales.  Most recently, I have participated in viral marketing to share the opening of a friend’s new restaurant.  But I do this on a regular basis, if I have find that a product or business, etc.  was successful for me and I decide I will be a repeat customer then I do share this information with others who may also be interested.

Viral marketing is likely to be more successful with products with network effects.  Products or services tend to “go viral” mainly because of the network effect.

Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

The first company I chose was Apple, Inc.  The second company I chose was Ralph Lauren.  Neither of these companies have links on their corporate website linking you to Facebook or Twitter.  Apple, Inc has no official presence on Facebook.  However, when I did a search for Apple, Inc.  the Wikipedia interest page came up with information at the bottom of the page containing a link that when I clicked on it took me back to their corporate page.

Ralph Lauren does have a presence on Facebook.  There are over 3 million people who liked a page containing information about retail and consumer merchandise.

I assume that both of these companies have not put themselves officially on these social media outlets because they have an established customer base and have a brand that is internationally recognized.  Their brand is known with or without the utilization of these media outlets.   However if I were in charge of their Facebook or Twitter initiative I would measure the success of it by how many people liked the page, as well as the level of activity on them from posts, etc.

I would have to describe my  organization (my organiztion shall remain nameless to protect the innocent.. namely, ME!!! lol) as a hybrid for the following reasons:

For some situations, the decisions are made by management without the input and feedback of its subordinate staff.  However for projects and other important system changes, management does take the feedback and recommendations of the involved parties (persons who are directly involved with the work of the department) before making a final decision.

Q1- The concept of ideology is in sync with Christine’s points about fellow believers.  When a person believes in you they share in your ideas, thoughts, decisions, etc. -your ideology.

Q2- All 3S’ make sense, but the one that stands out more to me is the SHARE concept.  Once you are part of the community, in my opinion in order to maintain a sense of relevance, it becomes imperative that everyone shares whether its new and different ideas, potential customers, new contacts, resources, etc. to assist in the expansion of your business and/or network.

Q3- As with anything I read, I always take away information that can be of use to me.  Christine’s article was informative.  I especially appreciate her reiteration of not having to sell to your community, as they are already fellow believers.  This makes so much sense.  They would not be part of the community if they did not in some way share in the ideology of the group.

At this day and age with the ever-changing world of social media, a news organization would be limiting its viewership by not tapping into many social media outlets.  This is definitely a viable news outlet to have.

Having a Facebook-only news portal would allow media and news organizations to reach the facebook audience.  Organizations would also be able to get real time opinions and feedback from their facebook viewers about the day’s stories, etc.  Having a facebook-only news portal would also open these media organizations to potential sources for stories, current events, etc. in the local area as well as internationally.  Some of the challenges news organizations would face would be more efficient journalism in verifying sources more effectively.  Also news organizations that rely on revenue from ads would have to take this into consideration, as Facebook does not allow sponsorship at the moment.

If I had an online news organization it would utilize all Facebook stats and posts that cover news stories. It would be a somewhat of a “people’s news” organization. The stories would be posts by the people. This would definitely make sure that only the issues people care about remain in the news cycle.

One wonders with the government proposing more regulations with social media outlets that the very system they want more control over is being used by them to influence public opinion. What is really their aim?  It appears that these outlets are okay as long as they can use and manipulate them to serve their needs.

Corporations and government need to consider if their influencing the public is going to be for the greater good of the society (whether domestic or foreign), not just to meet some covert need of theirs.

Corporations and the government should not be held to a different standard regarding their use and manipulation of the social media outlets. They should be held accountable for any misuse of this media that has an adverse affect on society (whether domestic or foreign).

I think social media will play an increasingly important role in emergency response in the future. As social media becomes integrated into everyday life, more police, fire, & medical emergency units will establish a presence in these various spaces. I think it will initially serve as a source for information & to provide info to authorities. Perhaps in the event of a flood, residents that are stranded could use FB check-ins or FourSquare to notify rescue teams as to their location. I still think a good ole phone call will be around for quite sometime. People still want to hear a human voice & know that help is on the way. However, social media will be used as great way to enhance the overall emergency effort.

Reluctantly, I joined Foursquare because I’m mildly obsessed with gaining as many quest points for class as reasonably possible for a person who’s a busy as I. Plus, I couldn’t stand the thought of people burying me alive on the quest scoreboard. It’s the competitor in me. Basically, Foursquare is an app that allows you to let your friends know where you’ve been & where you are. You Check-in & it assigns points for the various locations & circumstances. I’m totally not the type of person that likes to share too much about my whereabouts with people who are not there with me (I always get a mad text or 2 from a left-out friend asking why they weren’t invited). So after this challenge I will promptly discontinue my account. lol Gotta keep the peace.

This past week I checked out 2 events for Philly Tech Week. On Tuesday night I stopped by Hive  76 for their open house event. It was pretty much a collective of electronics genuises tinkering on various innovative & quirky inventions. The only one I can mention in this post without compromising an idea is the available for sale usb typewiter.. Yes I did just type that.. a usb typewriter. Apparently, old typewriters (to those who don’t know what that is.. Google it lol) are are given a usb port so they can work with a computer. Prettyyyyy nice lol

Next up, I checked out Neat Co. at 1601 Market on Wednesday night. By the way, THEY”RE HIRING (just thought you should know). So they had a very posh & sophisticated office space. After I chomped down a few of the delicious oatmeal cookies & sliced pineapples the staff offered us, they got into their presentation on innovation which basically was a pitch for how cool their company is… I can dig it. They produce mobile & desktop scanners with advanced imaging technology that allows for the info on the doc to be organized into a expense report. Pretty useful stuff. This allows companies to GET RID OF PAPER. Like I said, pretty useful stuff. The highlight of the 30 minute presentation for me was how companies who strive to maintain a culture of innovation must commit to research & development. After all, while everyone is focused on today’s bottom line & moving current products. Someone has to be thinking, designing, and developing for the future. Great event!