Munir Mandviwalla

Design proposal

design problem photo

Photo by allaboutgeorge

Please submit your design proposal due 1/31/2018 as a comment to this post. If you are working as a team, then only one submission (comment) is needed. A few suggestions:

1. Include a title and names of team member (if any)
  2. Separate the problem from the proposed solution – at this stage – focus more on the problem. It is however, fine to include your desired solution (e.g., mobile app, website, etc).
  3. Use the simple approach of separating who, what, when, where, and why to help identify the problem.
  4. The problem should be presented as a few sentences – not as a list. Tip: If you end up writing more than a brief paragraph, the problem is likely still unclear.

41 Responses to Design proposal

• Shared Powerbank

Team number : Wei Wang , Jiyin Li

The problem would be:

People who has electronic devices when they go out.
    When their decives needs charge but forget bring their own powerbank / plug or go place without any outlet or plug in/USB. For example: On the train or on the street.

Make people share the powerbank and get electric charge everywhere.

Increase the efficency of the tool to be used more frequency to create more value.
    Provide convenience for people who always forget bring small tools

Model
    1. Mobile app
    2. Webesite

• Who: Everyone who use elecronic devices

What: Set mobile spot with share powerbank that people could take it if they need charge then give it back to other spot

When: their decives needs charge but forget bring their own powerbank / plug

Where: Place without any outlet or plug in/USB. For example: On the train or on the street.

Why: Provide convenience for people who always forget bring small tools

• Could be a good project. To gain approval please answer the following: 1. How is this different from the shared motorcycle battery idea? I think it has been extensively implemented in Hong Kong (not sure of the location). 2. What is the design challenge here? It sounds like you find the spot and then you are done?

• Our original idea seems like as share motorcycle battery idea that people rent and give back tools to the spot. Then we figure out people actually don’t need any powerbank or battery, they just want to get their device charged anywhere. So we decide to change the idea to use the wireless charge. People do not need to rent tools, they can use their phone to accept the specific electromagnetic waves to get charged.

The design challenge is that how can we sent out the specific electromagnetic waves out to make sure people can find and accept it anywhere. We can do it as the common wifi wireless– to set small base station in the city to make sure people can get it. We also need people to get the small receiver set on their phone to make sure they can get the specific wave. Then our apps will help people to get connected with the specifit wave then monitor the process and usage.

• When people go out and their electronic device needs to charge. They need spend time to seeking the charging spot around his position. When they find the spot, they may find plug were used by others or broken, etc. It wastes their time.
          Our design challenge would be design an app which be able to quickly check around and provide map to find the nearest charge spot. Real-time access to the specific parameters of charging spot, providing geographical location, spot status, equipment models, fees, user comments. Help user to find the surrounding free charge spot, without queuing and waiting.

• Then they can rent power bank there. People can carry the equipment go everywhere they want, they don’t need to be “locked” at the plug area. When they want to give it back, just check the nearest spot again and give it back. Not necessary be the same spot.

• All sounds good. Approved

• Ariana French, Shannon Reinmiller
    MIS 3580 – Section 001
    Project Proposal

Problem: Student Professional Organizations have a limited budget and limited amount of time to plan events. Each SPO at Fox usually has between 10-20 professional and/or social events per semester. SPOs should be able to plan these events inexpensively and efficiently.

Desired Solution: Website compatible with mobile phones.

What: The purpose of the website is to improve party planning for student professional organization events at the Fox School of Business.

Who: Fox Student Professional Organizations. College students within the ages of 18-22 will be our target audience.

Where: Venues in the North Philadelphia area and Center City. There will also be options to hold events on Temple’s Campus (i.e Mitten Hall).

When: Students should plan to organize event 3-4 weeks prior to event.

Why: SPOs have social and corporate events, but have limited budget. This website should be able to plan an effective event at a low costs quickly. Vendors will

User Experience:

Interaction Model: A website will be used that should be compatible with mobile devices.

Concept: The website will combined a wizard model and predefined sets based on common scenarios. (i.e corporate networking event at Mitten Hall for 30-40 employers and 50-60 students)

• Not sure about this project: 1. The party planning and integration of different personnel and sources sounds good but why limit to SPO’s – SPO’s have very limited focused needs. This will limit the scope of your project too much. 2. What is the design challenge here? Is it party planning? Matching with cheap vendors? Calendaring? All of those are big things in themselves so from this perspective, the scope seems too broad.

• 1. We’d like to expand our targeted audience to Temple student organizations (both professional and leisure). 2. We would like to change our design challenge to help people (lets call them “explorers” who don’t have a full grasp on how much an event would roughly cost ) with pricing/budgeting as well as connecting other people (lets call them “knowers” who already have a budget in mind) with local vendors. For the explorers, this will be a site for them to get estimates for things such as DJ, caterers, and venues. For the knowers, there will be a series of questions (ie price range, type of party) to pair them with suggested vendors and help plan their event. The site will also keep history of previously planned parties just in case they want to do the same event annually/semiannually or for similar events.

• Talk It Out
    Ethan Greenstein and Alyssa Buitrago

Problem: People often want to discuss sensitive and personal information but do not have the motivation/opportunity to talk to anyone in their life. People feel they cannot approach their friends or family with certain issues and thus would prefer an anonymous place to do so.

Solution: A website with a live chat feature, separated by topic of discussion. Users can anonymously chat with someone about the issues that they cannot talk to others about.

Who:
    College Students
    Age 18-25
    United States (primarily)

What:
    Talk It Out will be a website (unless there is a better platform) for people to discuss their problems through anonymous online chats, free of judgement from those they don’t know on the other end of the conversation.

When:
    People can use the website to be matched with an anonymous chat partner any time of the day, so long as there is someone else on the site seeking to discuss personal issues and solutions.

Where:
    The website will be hosted on WordPress and open to anyone with an Internet connection. While the target will primarily be college students in the United States, the service may be beneficial to students around the world.

Why:
    There are a lot of sensitive topics that many people are not comfortable sharing with the people close to them. A lot of times people also feel some sort of stigma exists when it comes to talking to a counselor or psychologist, but they are more than willing to share their issues anonymously online. Multiple websites, primarily forums, such as Reddit, allow users to discuss these topics, but no service exists to allow the conversation to happen in real time. Talk It Out is an alternative for those who feel they have nowhere else to turn.

• Could be a good project. To gain approval please answer the following: Please confirm by searching that this has not been done before either in an APP or some public service site.

• Project Title

Team: Maria Boggi, Tim McNiff, Sarita Cini

Problem Statement: It is difficult to identify supplements that alleviate symptoms related to medical conditions because there is so much information out there and too many steps to get the food and recipes needed.

Project Name: Medinutrients
    Who: People who want to use foods as a supplement for medical conditions
    What: map foods and recipes to supplements beneficial to particular condition
    When: on shopping schedule or cooking schedule
    Where: in home
    Why: to improve health outside of pharmaceuticals
    Model: App, Website, Watch can be used to track success or relayed to doctors.

• Project Name: PantryForecast
    Team: Sarita Cini
    Problem: As Americans’ taste in food broadens, the difficulty of matching favorite recipes to the home’s unmanageable list of pantry items has led to ingredients expiring before they get used. Food waste is a growing problem as home cooks buy bulk groceries without the ability to plan how these ingredients will get used. Weekly menu plans use disparate ingredients instead of leveraging ingredients between recipes.

Model:
    Mobile App
    Website

• Proposal: Mobile App/Website that adds recipe ingredients to shopping list and adds purchases to your pantry. Tracks inventory level and expiration date of pantry items, as well as buying patterns to make shopping list and menu suggestions.

• Could be a good project. To gain approval please answer the following: 1. Have you searched the app store for similar ideas? I think i have seen apps like these. 2. What is the design challenge here? It sounds like an inventory management system – so are you envisioning using a similar conceptual model?

• 1. For research, I googled “best meal-planning apps”. Websites like This One gave me an overview of the different options out there. Some apps’ databases are searchable based on one or two ingredients- great if you have broccoli you need to get rid of, but if you want to maximize the contents of your pantry, it still requires a lot of cabinet searching. Only one app (mealboard.com) seems to track inventory, but it does not specialize in this nor does it suggest favorite recipes based on inventory levels. Based on reviews, recipes and pantry items still require a lot of work to add or update which leads to the design challenge…

2. The design challenge is to create an inventory management system that requires little user-oversight. The app needs to be easier than the physical process of tying recipes to pantry ingredients. Having to manually enter recipes, pantry items, or inventory levels will be unacceptable. I would like to use something like Google’s Vision API to add recipe and pantry data to the database. I’m also looking into the use of SKU’s obtained off a shopping receipt and whether a picture of that could pull info from the vendor’s’ sites. Another design problem is tracking inventory as it’s used. Mealboard does this by deducting volumes from the pantry based on the volumes listed in the recipe which I thought was clever. However, most cooks don’t use a recipe for every meal so staples like olive oil, flour, and sugar could easily become out of sync with the app.

Scope: I don’t envision the app being used in the cooking process as a primary function.

• Ingredient volume conversions and lack of ingredient naming conventions are some other design challenges.

• All the design challenges sound great. If you remain focused on those and not the details of building a standard inventory management system then this will be a great project. Approved.

• Justin Kish and Frank Tkachenko

Smart devices have taken over home with implementations across all appliances, but quality speakers have been left behind. Our proposed solution this problem is a speaker with a built in Android tablet interface. This solution is better than the current music playing situation because bluetooth is too buggy and complex and also auxiliary cords are too restricting. This product would be marketed to individuals with expendable income, homeowners, not resistant to technology innovation, and fans of music streaming and great audio quality. This would be perfect for when you are making dinner for family, having social gatherings, or just sitting on the couch.

• Not sure about this project: 1. The Apple speaker is all about quality? Have you seen that? Sonos? 2. There are many good speakers available – and people who are audiophiles will sneer at streaming so are you going to pair excellent speakers with streaming or if stored on the tablet then how will the music get on the tablet? 3. I can’t visualize what this would look like – but that is not bad – that could be the interesting design question!

• 1 – Yes, those are good products, but I feel that since they are lacking a screen, they are lacking a needed functionality of most 21st century objects. Also, these objects force a audible conversation with the device, something that (from my own perspective) I get annoyed with because of lack of knowledge of what’s going on within the device. For example, I speak to it, and it can’t find the song I want. Well how do I know which songs are actually offered on this service. What’s missing from Alexa and Apple speaker is visual response from a screen, where you can see with your eyes what you can choose from.

Me: “I want to play AC/DC – Black in Black”

Siri: “Okay – Here’s AC/DC Black in Black – Live from the Sherman Theatre”

Now I have to turn off the song because I didn’t want to hear the live version, or now have another entire conversation with Siri about what songs they can play due to Apple’s licensing of songs.

Rather….

*Types ACDC Back in Black on touchscreen*
        *Sees they only have live version*

Now I can choose to either play the song (not originally the song I wanted) or move onto another song that I do want to hear. Also, with speaking to a speaker, it mutes the music to hear you, something that annoys me to no end with this product. While our proposed product can most likely use Google Assistant with Android’s OS, it doesn’t force you to speak to the product to make decisions.

2 – Yes, you are correct, most audiophiles do sneer at the idea of streaming, but this product wouldn’t be marketed towards them. That market is hard to break into from a technology standpoint because of their fondness of analog sound. This would be a higher end product, that would need the sound quality to back it up, but would bring in customers from a physical design perspective and the quality of the device. For example, people overpay for Beats by Dre products for their audio quality even though they are no better than any off the shelf product from Walmart or Amazon.

3 – I’m not exactly sure how this would look either. There are multiple ways we can move forward with it. I’m not fond of the new wave that Apple/Sonos/Alexa look because they lack a pleasing aesthetic that you could find in a home for a long time. For example, an Alexa speaker will look outdated in 5 years most likely, while a old Fender Amp from the 1960s (https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/sp2017/Amps/Amp_Pix/5G8_Twin_Amp/60Twin_6G8_Rough_Blonde_Tolex_AP_Book.jpg) still will look timeless in 5, 10, 20+ years.

• Title/Name of Project: Self-Scan

Members: Brendan Flatley, Greg Whitehouse, Kevin Nguyen

Problem (& possibly solution): Spending money on cashiers at wholesale discounters. Customer dissatisfaction with length of checkout lines.

Who: Customers of Sam’s Club, Costco, BJ’s

What: Personal Self-Scanning app to pay for purchases remotely in the store

When: N/A

Where: Sam’s Club, Costco, BJ’s

Why: Reduce the need for cashier position.

Proposal: A Mobile app that allows the customer to scan products while going grocery shopping.

• Could be a good project. To gain approval please answer the following: 1. So this is in addition to self-checkout lanes? 2. Have you reviewed Amazon’s cashier less store yet? How is this different?

• Name/Title of Project: RenTemple

Members: Brendan Flatley, Greg Whitehouse, Kevin Nguyen

Problem: The process of finding, paying, and communication between landlords and tenants can be very tedious. A lot of housing at Temple is very separated across websites (Walnut Realty, Craigslist, Govberg, the View, Temple Villas, etc.)

Solution: an all-in-one portal where tenants find, pay, find roommates, and communicate with landlords around Temple University.

• Many self styled Temple entrepreneurs have tried to solve this problem while ignoring the fact that the vendors have no interest in cooperating, what is the benefit to them? However, much as I dislike the business idea, this could be an interesting design project if you focus on the roommate finding. If you are willing to do that then fine. However, a transaction processing system to send messages to landlords or make payments is not interesting.

• Feral Cat Finder – Rebecca Jackson

Stray animals in the United States are a huge issue. The estimate for cats alone is 70 million. Contributing to this problem is the fact that only ~10% of animals are neutered (as received by shelters). TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) groups exist to solve this problem – ‘Temple Cats’ is one such group, focused on Temple’s campus (zip codes 19121 & 19122). Temple Cats currently operates using a Facebook group, where individuals post about cats they see around campus, and the admin of the group manually reads each post to try and coordinate resources. Temple Cats needs a way to structure and visualize this user-driven data so it can more easily allocate its limited resources to the best advantage of cats on campus.

Data from https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-animal-homelessness

• Problem:
    Astrology is a topic that has widely been reduced to pseudo-science, “just for fun” horoscopes, or a topic only appealing to those whose disposition favors faith over logic. Most astrology-related online resources have unreliable information, are tainted by the authors biases, or exist with the intent to profit off of people’s tendencies towards confirmation bias. These websites miss the philosophical nature of astrology and exploit its potential as a tool for personal understanding.

Solution:
    A no-nonsense, cleanly designed website or mobile app that serves as an educational tool and allows for people to understand their energy and the aspects in their personal natal charts.

• Could be a good project. To gain approval please answer the following: So is this a self help tool? Who will run it? Volunteers? Or will it sell products (the ‘horoscope’)? Why do people need education? I.e., what is difficult to understand?

• The study of astrology can be extremely liberating as a way of understanding one’s psyche. I was a psych major for awhile, have been consumed by psychology my whole life, and am particularly impacted by Carl Jung’s work. Jungian psychology has strongly influenced my philosophy that astrology illuminates the fundamental archetypal dynamics that condition our lives. People need education because an understanding of astrology and the influences in ones individual natal chart has extreme potential to help them understand their true selves.

It is difficult to understand for a few reasons. Firstly, there is a lot of stigma from the scientific community against any branch of psychology that is not biological psych. People tend to see Jungian and Freudian perspectives to be illegitimate because they are considered more “spiritual” than the neurological explanations of the biological perspective. More relevant is the “pop-psychology” trend along with the massive amount of misinformation about astrology online. This understandably has people averse to “buying into” astrology as it does not conform the scientifically accepted understanding of psychology and is not considered to be something to understand logically.

I have been able to develop a deep understanding of the topic through personal research but I am the type of person who wants to digest information as easily and efficiently as possible. A tool like this would be very helpful to the many people who don’t have the time to do the research or the knowledge to see past the misinformation.

It is relatively niche but it exists within a rapidly growing movement. I envision it as an open-source, educational tool, that hopefully establishes some legitimacy to the topic. I don’t want to sell horoscopes. I believe everyone can benefit from understanding his or her self better so it certainly can be considered a self help tool.

• Okay sounds reasonable. Approved. However, you will need to identify the design challenge here. For example, “provide practical feedback in one minute” or “communicate X bits of complex information”

• Title/Name: Philly Specials
    Group Members: Brendan Flatley, Greg Whitehouse, Kevin Nguyen
    Problem: Philadelphia is a city with a growing number of young professionals and higher education students. Night-life is continuing to grow; many of those in this demographic enjoy going out to social events, but a night out is normally expensive. College students and young professionals alike search for specials when deciding where to out for the night to limit the expenses. As of now, there are 1-2 decent sources to find relevant information on what specials bars have on certain nights. The problem is, these websites (no apps) are geared toward a more mature, traveling crowd. There is a large market of students and young professionals that could be serviced with a simple, easy to use app that aggregated bars in specifically the Templetown, Center City, and University City based on the response of three questions: 1) Tonight or another night? 2) To do what? (drink, chill, food) 3) Looking for.. (Value, or more for less).

What: An app (and website) that aggregates bar specials in specific Philadelphia regions for college students and young professionals

Who: University of Pennsylvania, Temple University and Drexel University students, and young professionals

Where: Templetown, Center City, and University City

Why: Bar specials are hard to search for on the internet, often having to look for extended periods of time to compare different specials and different bars.

How: Independent research and personal interviews with managers.

• When people go out and their electronic device needs to charge. They need spend time to seeking the charging spot around his position. When they find the spot, they may find plug were used by others or broken, etc. It wastes their time.
    Our design challenge would be design an app which be able to quickly check around and provide map to find the nearest charge spot. Real-time access to the specific parameters of charging spot, providing geographical location, spot status, equipment models, fees, user comments. Help user to find the surrounding free charge spot, without queuing and waiting.
    Then they can rent power bank there. People can carry the equipment go everywhere they want, they don’t need to be “locked” at the plug area. When they want to give it back, just check the nearest spot again and give it back. Not necessary be the same spot.

Subscribe to course via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this course and receive notifications of new posts by email.