MIS 3581, Summer 2017–Laurel Miller

Discussion Question #5: Classroom Knowledge….

What have you learned in the classroom that you have leveraged in your internship?  Please respond by commenting to this post.

Please check the gradebook to see if you are missing any assignments.  You will have a NO if I have not received it from you and it is past due.

41 Responses to Discussion Question #5: Classroom Knowledge….

• Some of the language, skills and tools I have learned in the classroom that I have leveraged in my internship involve data analytical terms, writing SQL queries, and R. I was able to make suggestions to presentations based off of rules involving data integrity and data ink, I was also able to understand and contribute in conversations because of the language and terms that I have learned in the classroom. Another huge skill that was helpful to know was how to write SQL queries. There aren’t many people who understand how to write SQL queries in the finance department so that helped me stand out, and even in excel add-on applications, we would have to write out basic SQL code to have a certain bracket of data be pulled out. Lastly, a tool that I have learned to use in class was R, and our company actually relies on R to create visuals with data. There are only two people proficient at R, so it helped that I had previous experience with it.

• When I was in MIS 3535, I learned a lot of documentation and how to present our project using project charter and also creating timelines in Microsoft Project software. Those skills gave me an advantage during my internship. I need to create charts and data models for our projects. Besides this, I need to understand and be able to present the project timeline and the project scope to the company’s clients. Also, I learned that integrative thinking strengths up our decisions on our projects. I learned that we need to be salient, create a map of the gathered data, make relationships between the data and make decisions with our best options. All that were helpful during our meetings. I am glad I had learned these skills and be able to apply in my internship because most of the clients understood our project plannings and agreed in the time line of the project.

• I’ve found that when writing emails or creating documentation, I will often times reference pointers and tips from my business communications class. That class really helped to highlight my lazy writing that is fairly easy to fix. If I can ensure that what I am trying to communicate is easily understood, I can avoid a lot of headaches and frustration. Another class that has come in handy is MIS 2051. That class outlined server infrastructure, and that is something that I deal with on a daily basis here at PCS. We have many servers, virtual and physical, and understanding how they all interact together is crucial when resolving issues or granting access. I also touch Active Directory and Group Policy Management at least once a day here, both things that were covered in MIS 2501.

• I have learned the importance of analyzing data in the classroom and how the results can influence future decisions. My knowledge of SQL scripts, servers (domains, logins, file sources, network connectivity), and data presentation (pivot tables, bar charts, graphs) has allowed me to become more successful in my internship. The right way to go about communicating in a business setting has also been a very valuable piece of knowledge that I learned in the classroom. My daily task include analyzing data and reaching out to application support, network support, and SQL support; choosing the most professional and assertive way of communicating is essential to moving forward in my work. One of the most important classes that I have taken, relating to my internship work, has been the Enterprise and IT Development class. This class has taught me a lot of servers and machines (virtual machines) while also placing an emphasis on strong business communication skills (flash papers).

• There are many skills and concepts from my MIS classes that have helped me thus far in my internship. Three classes in particular, MIS 2501, 2502 and 3506 have had a direct impact on my ability to preform during my first five weeks with NBC. My first project, creating service descriptions for instances of Maria DB, PostgreSQL, Mongo DB, and Elastic Search that the Open Platform Technology team provisions and supports, have been aided by the background in relational databases I received in MIS 2502. The Open Platform Technology team provides the open source cloud technologies and infrastructure necessary to support both the internally facing and externally facing applications that NBCU provides and uses. In order to accomplish this, the cloud technologies our team offers rely on virtual machines, containers and the idea of distributed computing. MIS 2501 has provided me with a background in virtual machines which reduced my learning curve, and also helped me write the service descriptions for Maria DB, Mongo DB and PostgreSQl. My experience writing flash research papers in 2501 helped me sort through documentation for these technologies and determine what information was relevant to the service descriptions. Lastly, the business analysis skills I developed in MIS 3506 have helped me when gathering requirements for the service descriptions and also helped me understand how to establish rapport when interviewing application owners to gather the business value that their applications bring to NBC Universal.

• One thing I leveraged in my internship was my Microsoft Excel class I took at Temple. For my intern, excel was essential and knowing tips that I picked up from the class helped a great deal. For example, one excel sheet I worked with contained hundreds of rows and a many columns. Knowing how to select all these rows to make one big edit was time saving. I impressed my boss when I edited the excel sheet in what they thought would’ve been a couple hours, I had done in 20 minutes.

• The two main classes that I have leveraged during my internship have been MIS 2501 and MIS 3506. MIS 2501 really prepared me to be able to learn about new technologies quickly and how to take good detailed notes. During my job, I need to be able to understand a process, take screenshots, and take notes in a timely manner in order to provide my team with my written deliverables. MIS 2501 has also helped me with my precise and succinct business writing. MIS 3506 has really helped me understand processes since I have to analyze swim-lane diagrams to really understand the technologies and processes that our team audits. I have also had to determine what should be included in our project scope and meet with stakeholders to gather requirements.

• There were about five classes in my undergraduate experience that I felt related to my experience here at TD so far.
    1. Mosaic: Humanities Seminar I/II — focused on reading text and being able to summarize long chapters with brief notes. At TD I spent a lot of time researching my field and various government requirements that I then would convert into brief notes, similar to Mosaics assignments.
    2. Business Communications — Put a large emphasis on making any contacts to higher ups as brief and concise as possible. I personally utilized my knowledge from this class to “clean up” my emails and messages in the way that was taught in this course.
    3. Business Society & Ethics — Learned a lot about corporate social responsibility (CSR) and the various motivations behind it. At work, I was comparing the types of CSR we learned about to TD’s CSR, which TD is known for being extremely involved in by sponsoring everything from floats in the gay pride parade to shows at the local Kimmel Center.
    4. Digital Design and Innovation (MIS 3506) — Among other things, this course taught me how to build uses cases and gather requirements and I was reviewing business requirements and building real uses cases within four days at TD.
    5. Change Leadership Studio (MIS 3535) — There was a heavy emphasis on projects and project management in this course. I’m currently working on a large project at TD, and applied knowledge such as the Project Life Cycle and the program Microsoft Project that I learned in this course.

• My classwork has been very relevant to our intern project – where we have to develop a solution using technology. In fact, the project is very similar to the work we did in MIS 3506. The idea of brainstorming a solution, gathering requirements, and developing a proof of concept hasn’t been too daunting since we’ve done it before in the BA class. And, even though Justinmind was not my favorite thing in the world, it was useful to have a little bit of experience developing wireframes since that was my role for our team project. I’ve also been able to use the communication/documentation skills that I learned from the project management class. While the documentation/methodology used at Cigna is different from what we learned in class, it’s still helpful that I have a basic understanding of project management.

• Courses that I have leveraged in internship would have to be MIS 2501, the excel course, and business communications. In my internship I use statistical softwares Minitab, JMP, and Spotfire which are similar to the R/RStudio we used in 2501. I also write SQL from time to time therefore learning how to write SQL in 2501 was also helpful. The excel course is used on a daily basis and is extremely useful in my data analysis paired with the statistical softwares I use. Last but not least communication is important everywhere. Whether talking in person face-to-face or writing e-mails, it is crucial that you communicate effectively and get your message across to your recipients.

• So far I have taken MIS 3501, MIS 2502, and MIS 2901 thus far. My job overall is not very technical as it deals with with mostly with sales, marketing, and developing relationships. However, I definitely have been able to leverage the HTML and CSS skills I developed in MIS 3501 in some of the activities I do. For instance, I have to, oftentimes, create e-mail postings via Mailchimp where I can been able to personalize the designs using HTML and CSS. Similarly, I have to post updates on our website, which knowing HTML has ensured that I don’t make any potential mistakes on it. I would definitely say that I have been able to leverage the skills learned from BusComm the most in my job thus far. Many of my day-to-day activities involve speaking on the phone or e-mailing colleagues and clients in London and India where proper business etiquette and formal communication is required.

• I have learned many things in the classroom that have helped me in my role here at Cigna. The lessons and skills I have gained in the classroom have not just been taken from class lectures and readings, but also through working and communicating with other students and professors to complete projects. In the 3506 course, I learned how to work with my group to solve a problem and build and present a solution. We had to listen carefully to what the project sponsors were looking for in order to create this solution. I also learned how to listen to my team members and how to play to everyone’s strong suits. The individuals who preferred and were better at developing worked more on building the solution, while those of us that preferred the business side took care of all the necessary documentation and of presenting the solution. The coding and intro to MIS class were also helpful in that they introduced me to many different IT and business terms. For example I did not know what the command line, an ERP system, the cloud, SQL queries, platforms, and many more were until I took those classes. In my role here I am more on the project management side them the development side, so I do not code. However, I hear terms I learned in MIS classes all of the time and even if I do not know all of the details, I am able to understand the basic concept or idea behind them. This has been very helpful in keeping pace with and understanding what is happening in my team’s projects. Lastly, I think BizCom was one of the most useful classes I have taken in college. No matter what role I have been in, I have always had to write, give presentations, and communicate with people. This class helped refine my writing and presentation skills so that they were more in line with business standards.

• The class that I found particularly useful in my internships is Data Analytics. Through this course, we used detailed pivot tables to filter certain results to obtain the desired item. In my internship, I am working with thousands of applications in Excel. It is crucial that I use pivot tables and filters to determine the exact set of applications that I need to address. Learning how to use pivot tables has proven very successful; some of my other interns did not have an understanding of the feature, so they were spending a lot of time sifting through the results. Luckily I was able to teach them this feature, saving them crucial time. I also find that reading swim-lane diagrams, which is something that is covered heavily in the intro to MIS course, has been very helpful, especially when I first started and needed a more coherent understanding of different functions within the CMDB system. These diagrams were used heavily during training, so if I did not know how to read them I would have definitely been behind the curve. I also think that Business Communications was very helpful; it taught me how to create succinct and effective emails and reports. It also taught me how to effectively speak in a group of people, which has helped me tremendously while running events or meetings.

• The classes I found helpful for my internships were 2501 and 3506. The small section of IT audit gave us a little taste of what we can expect as an IT auditor/RAS consultant. Most of the engagements I have been on were related to security. Furthermore, with my prior work experience along with 2501, my problem solving skills have definitely helped. With a group project spanning over the entire duration of 3506, it gave me experience working across two different teams (BAs/PMs). I work on the RAS security and privacy team but I have had engagements where we would work with the team that handles the SOX aspect of audits.

• I would say one of the most difficult classes, MIS 3504, became to be one of the most beneficial during this project. Although MIS 3535 was meant to be more project management oriented, I feel like MIS 3504 better prepared me. Putting aside the grueling 3 exams, MIS 3504 was able to teach me the steps of being a successful business analyst — project idea inception, eliciting requirements, creating the project scope, establishing a budget, and more. In MIS 3504, my group worked on 1 segment of the 3 parted project. Specifically tasked to create a member participation portal, we created a beautiful incentive program for members of BeHeard Philly. This allowed me to realize how my specific piece of the puzzle fits into the larger picture.
    Additionally, I used my experience of using MS Project from Doyle’s class to better manage the project that I am working on for BAPS.

• One thing I’ve learned in the classroom that has come in handy is everything about requirements. A big project I’m working on this summer revolves around understanding CRS– Common Requirements Set– and how that comes into play with our work. All the tactics we were asked to do in MIS 3506 like reading requirements, studying the components of requirements, and actually collecting requirements, has all come in handy for me this summer. I am definitely happy that we learned about requirements in our MIS courses.

• I have really used my MIS3535 project management knowledge in my internship, with learning about deliverables, sponsors, and especially MS Project. Doyle taught us everything there is to know about project management, including how to manage my relationships with my teams and their leads. I have been able to manage teams and juggle all sorts of aspects of my internship due to the MIS 3535 class.

• Two classes that have I have leveraged in my internship are MIS 2502 Data Analytics and Healthcare Financing and Information Technology. Data Analytics taught me a lot of the excel features I am using this summer. Working with the systems analyst team involves a lot of these skills. I am constantly using formulas such as vlookups, text and am creating pivot tables from data I manipulated. Excel is the program I use the most at work. The excel skills along with the class exercises/assignments from MIS 2502 have been extremely helpful. Healthcare Financing and Information Technology taught me a lot about the different metrics I see at work. Things such as net payments and days in accounts receivables; having familiarity with the formulas and importance behind these metrics has been extremely helpful. Overall, it is nice to see that the information/skills I have been learning at Temple are paying off. Often times you hear about people starting an internship/job and having to learn something completely new. Nice to see that isn’t the case for myself and many other students on this page.

• Ironically, I learned more frequently-used skills during my two elective classes: Social Media Marketing (Fall ’16) and Search Engine Optimization (Spr ’17), which are part of the Advertising major. As for MIS classes, I’d say I learned most from 3535 and 2501 more than any other. In 3535, we learned the rigors of what it takes to become and remain a successful project manager. While I am not a PM in my internship, my understanding of the PM’s role allows me to make their lives a bit easier. I am a diligent note-taker, I document all communications/decisions, and I ensure my assignments are completed. For 2501, we discussed the CMS platform known as WordPress. While I didn’t learn much from class, understanding the foundations was the catalyst that pushed me to learn it on my own time (largely from Lynda, Udemy, and YouTube). Additionally, the concise writing methods taught during 2501 have enabled me to become the one of the primary proposal-drafter.

• The classes I found helpful in my internship is MIS 2502, Microsoft Excel class and MIS 0855. For my intern, I am using Tableau to do data analytics. MIS 0855 prepared me for how to use Tableau. Sometimes I also work with database directly, which is easier to extract the information I want than Tableau. To communicate with database, I need to write SQL queries to do that. The skills I learned from MIS 2502 is extremely helpful. And sometimes I will receive really long SQL queries to help in my project. I need to understand the SQL before I can move forward. Besides doing data analytics, I also create data dictionary for business users and development teams. I need to match thousands of records from different parties to create data dictionary, which require excel skills (such as Vlookup, match, etc).

• Two of the classes that have helped me out throughout out this internship is my Digital Marketing class as well as my Data Analytics class that I took fall 16′. I never thought that I would be working with pivot tables or SEO when I began this internship. I thought they already had previous experience with the program but it was something new that had to be built. Data Anaytics was one of those classes that I had a hard time with at the beginnig but towards the end I really enjoyed all the exercises and the knowledge that I gained with each one of it. Digital Marketing was by far my favorite class that I had in my senior year. I learned a lot about SEO and Google Analytics and I thought those two have been a very helpful tool at work,

• For myself, so many things from class have come up in my actual internship. In specific, data analytics and digital solutions studio prepared me for this internship very well. The work I did concerning a project and acting as a BA/PM in digital solutions studio helped me be able to jump right into DecisivEdge’s projects and be aware of what was going on and understanding the vernacular of the consulting industry. Sprint/Waterfall projects are both ongoing here, and my time in the class has helped me with both types of projects. In 2502, the focus is obviously on data and the use of data manipulators like SQL and R. There is a lot of data being passed around my company, and I had the pleasure of shadowing database analysts who asked me to assist them in various SQL tasks, which I was able to pick up on very quickly due to the information from Shafer in 2502. Luckily, these classes have helped me stand out at the internship as someone who has their head in the right place.

• Skills that I’ve found helpful with my internship have been primarily based on data analysis and effective communication. As an individual directly responsible for handling large advertising accounts I need to be able to sift through and analyze large amounts of data that tie directly to job performance. I took an Excel class last semester which helps me very much with formatting data effectively as well as presenting it aesthetically. The ability to go through large amounts of data and pick out the most important variables has been paramount to my job performance. The other skill is effective communication. I communicate with the CEO of the company as well as all others employees in a manner which conveys my points effectively and keeps everyone informed about company information and updated campaign performance.

• I learned a great deal in MIS 3506 that has helped me do well at Cigna. I work on an application development team that deploys a new release of a home-grown reporting application every few months. I mainly shadow the business analyst on the team, and assist with gathering and documenting requirements for upcoming releases. By coming in with knowledge of the development life cycle, and knowledge of requirements gathering specifically, I was able to hit the ground running and immediately contribute. Additionally, I am working on an intern team project that is very similar to the team project we completed in 3506. We have to develop a a technology solution to a business problem; so, just like in class, we have gone through the steps of ideation, documentation, developing personas and use cases, and developing a prototype. I’m thankful I took 3506 before starting this internship.

• MIS 2502 has proven to be extremely helpful. I am helping with the cloud transition team. Because Prudential is early in the process, we are primarily performing assessments on which of the 1500 applications in our portfolio would benefit the most from moving to AWS or Azure. Enterprise IT Architecture (MIS 2502) served as my introduction to Azure. Although I was already very familiar with AWS, it was beneficial to be comfortable working with both platforms. A few weeks ago, a director asked me if i knew what these .bin files were doing on the drive, and if they were required. It turned out to be the same RAID array technique, used to back up mysql databases, that we learned in MIS2502! I believe professor Doyle would really get a kick out of that if I told him.
    Also, in 2502, we learned how to create a presentable, shorthand financial projection for tech projects. I helped my manager brainstorm a spreadsheet format to present to his bosses based on this template.

• I was able to take a lot from MIS3506 that I leveraged throughout my internship. Working with a team to create a final set of deliverables, and understanding the different activities and people within a project gave me a good foundation to work with over the summer. I worked with a team all summer to meet the requirements of the final deliverable. MIS 3506 showed me the importance of communication between the PM, stakeholders, and SME’s. Each one of them is crucial to the success of the project. The experience from MIS 3506 allowed me to understand the process and work to meet the deadline of my project deliverable.

• I learned a lot from MIS3506 that helped me tremendously in my internship. Mainly, creating precise, well-written objectives for the project. It gave me a good foundation that I definitely utilized in my internship with PoundCake Cos. Working with a team to deliver a product with a specific tight budget and meet the deadline would have been overwhelming if it wasn’t for the tools and knowledge I acquired during the MIS3506 class. The biggest focus in this class was effective communication between the PM, SMEs, and stakeholders, and it was definitely key in delivering a successful project. During this internship, I faced some challenges, but nothing was a surprise thanks to the digital design and innovation studio class.

• Throughout my time at Temple, I have taken many beneficial classes. I was able to enhance my writing and presenting skills by taking the Business Communication course. Being precise and concise is extremely important because many professionals (my team and others) are busy and might not have the time to read through a long email. Also, presentations have to effectively communicate a message along with it being professional, interactive and entertaining if possible. Next, attending the data analytics course has helped me increase my analytical skills and problem-solving techniques on various tasks. In addition, the project management course MIS3535 helped me to properly create various documents and to understand the structure of different documentations. Finally, many classes have taught me to think outside of the box, so by being independent in some class projects I have learned how there’s always another way to approach a situation/problem. All of these classes have definitely helped me overperform, improve reactions, and act in a more professional manner in many of the tasks/projects that I have within my internship.

• There are multiple classes to me that have applied directly to my internship. Business Communications has prepared me well for communicating effectively to my coworkers through emails and presentations. That class emphasized how to be concise and the best methods for creating slide decks and helped me overall with my public speaking. I learned a lot about Data Analytics in my Data Analytics and Data Science classes. This has helped me a lot because of my work has been analytics based. I also learned a lot from the IT Architecture class about how to create executive summaries which has been very useful me when sending data findings to the VP of Governance. The MS-Excel class also has been very valuable, I use excel every day and as seen as the Excel expert on my team. I also have used the Business Analyst course’s methods to gathering requirements and creating prototypes. Overall I think my classes have challenged me learn how to do things without prior experience and that has been so valuable for me in my internship.

• During my internship, I have done a lot of work with Microsoft SQL Server. My experience from MIS 2502: Data Analytics has really helped me with this work. Moving from My SQL Workbench to Microsoft SQL Server was a pretty easy transition, but having the basic knowledge of SQL really helped me pick the work up quickly. Since I already knew the basics, I was able to understand learn things like stored procedures easily. My knowledge of Excel has also helped me during my internship.

• MIS 2502 was the most helpful class in my internship. The Microsoft Excel class was also useful. There was a lengthy amount of work to do in Excel while working in my internship, and learning about pivot tables and various queries in both of these classes definitely set me up for success. Cross America’s previous interns came in with less knowledge of the program, so they were pleasantly surprised by how well I knew the program. Learning SQL in MIS 2502 was also beneficial. I often had to use queries in order to search and change data while working. The classroom was very influential in my work.

• Throughout the course of my internship, I truly realized how applicable some of the MIS courses are in a professional setting. For one, MIS 2502 was beneficial to me because I had a lot of exposure to very large databases during my internship and the SQL background I developed in 2502 helped me run queries and effectively navigate through a database. However, I believe that MIS 3506 was the most helpful to me because it taught me how to work on projects in a team environment and gave me thorough exposure to all of the different components of a formal project. My biggest takeaway was how to create formal documentation and communicate with individuals that you may never see in person.

• Hello everyone,
    MIS 3501 and 3502 were really helpful throughout my internship as a software developer. The coding classes in the MIS program really helped my in understanding existing code in a project. By understanding the code that other people wrote it was easy for me to reuse code rather than write the code from scratch. Also in those classes I have learned to stay organized in writing my code. I have commented what the code I wrote did for each function.. Also another class that helped me in my internship was MIS 2502 where i worked with databases such as SQL and Rstudio.

• There are many different skills that I have learned in school that I utilized at my internship. The first skill that comes to mind is the ability to write a business case. In Professor Doyle’s class business cases were a big focus. I have used this in my internship for my final project. I had to write a business case for a data archive and this prior knowledge was extremely helpful. IN Digital design studio the business analyst body of knowledge was referenced a lot. I actually had to read this book as part of my internship to help understand the BSA process at PNC. it was extremely helpful not only knowing what it was but knowing what is was about through different class discussions. Also all of my soft skills I have learned in school especially communication were very helpful during my internship.

• Due to the fact that I am only pursuing an MIS minor, a lot of the things and skills that I learned in my internship were very new to me. I had an IT based internship position. Most of the things that I was able to take from my classes to my internship were skills about Excel and my professional business writing. Like every other business student at Temple, I used my skills from my Excel course to be able to complete my work load. Many of my assignments involved creating spreadsheets or doing calculations on large amounts of numbers. Excel has made it incredibly easy and much more convenient to be able to complete. I am very glad that I took the time to dedicate myself to learning Excel before this internship. The second skill that I learned in school to utilize at my internship was my professional business writing from the Business Communications class. In my internship I had to write many emails and add to power points throughout. I needed to be able to write concisely and professionally. This course made it so easy to write and feel good about what I was delivering. Thanks to the Business Communications course I was able to feel very confident in my work and was never worried about my writing or how my superiors would perceive my writing. I am grateful for the courses that Temple’s Fox School of Business has offered and am so glad that I was able to utilize them in my Internship this summer.