MIS 3581–Laurel Miller

Discussion Question #6: You can’t learn everything in the classroom….

What lessons did you learn during your internship that you just couldn’t learn in the classroom or from a textbook?

2 Responses to Discussion Question #6: You can’t learn everything in the classroom….

• Communication cannot be learned from a textbook. Each company has different styles of communication. At goPuff, it’s common to call each other “bro” or “fam”, and use all kinds of emojis in our Slack channel. This is directly related to their young culture. It takes me a little bit of time to adjust my communication style to my coworkers since I was used to the formal Fox school style. Knowing what is appropriate and not crossing the line is important when your boss is only a few years younger than you.

• One real-world skill I picked up in my job was managing up the command line. Besides staying heads down focused on my work, I find it very important to manage my manager and the senior execs above him. It is very important to build relationships with them and understand their needs and expectations to choose a suitable communication style.