MIS 3581, Spring 2018–Laurel Miller

Discussion Question #4: How do you do it all???

It’s hard to balance your schoolwork and your internship.  Tell us how you are handling it and what tips you have for keeping it all together.

19 Responses to Discussion Question #4: How do you do it all???

• At times it can be difficult to manage working and being in school full time but its all about time management. I would suggest either writing things down in a planner or putting things in your Google calendar. It helps me when I put all tasks that need to be done like homework, studying for an exam, tasks for work, etc. My phone gives me a reminder because one person can only remember so much. Also, it helps me to relieve stress because if you don’t write things down or store them somewhere than you will constantly have it in your head and it will be stressful.

• The most important tool in order manage time between internship and schoolwork is to plan well ahead of time as much as possible. All courses usually have most of the assignments, exams, and deliverables outlined at the beginning of the semester.Therefore, it is important to locate those times of the semester during which you can expect there to be a lot of pressure. Therefore, it would be wise to prepare for the exams or assignments for these times beforehand. This can help to relieve a lot of pressure during high-demand times.

• I keep a pretty detailed schedule in google calendar and sync those activities across my devices so that I can be on top of what I need to do. This is important in regards to slicing out time for relaxing and blowing off steam. Articulating clear expectations about work schedule and work tasks is also incredibly import for organizing time to study as well.

• It can be challenging to manage your school work with your internship, but there are ways to make it easier to manage. The things that I do and the tips I would have for managing the both together would be to buy a planner. The planner makes it easier to organize the work that needs to be done and when it needs to be done. It helps with choosing which work you should get done first. Also, another tip I would have is to not procrastinate on your school work. The earlier you start on your school work, the less stressed you will be when managing it along with your internship.

• Christian,
      Your efforts are have not gone unnoticed and when all else fails stay up late (like 2:38AM) to get the job done, right? Lol

• I love to believe I’m an organized person, however there’s always going to be a time or two something takes priority over another and you have to delegate, delay, or dismiss a task. Our office uses Outlook Office365 ProPlus and the calendar syncs to my iPhone which syncs to my apple watch. When there’s a meeting or task assigned I get an alert. GE operates globally in 170 + countries with an employee base over 295K its difficult scheduling a meeting where everyone’s available. Skills that allow you to organize and prioritize your work load are essential. I like to take notes in OneNote which I can look at on my iPad or Phone and position first by deadline then by priority. It’s not foolproof but it helps, although I did just submit my status report 2 a day late.

• The first time experiencing working 20 hours part-time internship and studying at school can be hard. I suggest schedule everything carefully, Since working and studying together, there will be many things that need to accomplish. what I do is that I create a reminder on my phone with all the deadlines for assignments at school. By that way, I never forgot or passed the deadlines. I keep updating that reminder every day before I go to bed and check to see if there will be anything I needed to do tomorrow. That is how I balance my schoolwork and internship.

• One of the things that I do is I plan my day ahead the night before. It takes only about 5-7 minutes but saves a lot of time the next day. Another thing that I do is write everything out in my reminders. While this may not be the greatest thing to improve one’s memory, it helps to minimize forgetfulness and reminds me of when I need to do a certain task. This ensures that I’m not late for any deadlines for assignments or work that I have to do.

• Completing work tasks is fairly easy to stay on top of,as, for me, they do not typically veer outside of my working hours. Sometimes, schoolwork can fall through the cracks, though. To stay on top of things, I use a no-frills to-do list. I use the sticky notes app on my laptop, and list out my courses. For the current week, the previous week (if something lingers), and the upcoming week, I list all my assignments and tasks to do under the course header. As I complete items, I simply put an “X” next to the task. I have used a paper agenda before, and I find that this works much better as I don’t have to remember to look at it; it’s right in front of me every time I open my computer (which is far more than I did my agenda). For my availability and schedule, I use Google calendars, and simply block out my classes, work times, and any other important things such as doctors appointments.

• This is a really interesting post because I think everyone in this course could go on and on about this. For me, it may be a little bit excessive.

An insight into my life: This is my last semester here at Temple and I have an 18 credit course load, a job, an internship, and a company. So, managing and prioritizing my work is extremely important if I’m going not drive myself into my own grave. I start every day by checking my company email, schedule any meetings for the week, and then I move to my Temple email to do the same. After this, I go over my course work document that I created on my computer just to make sure I’ve done what is due and know what is ahead of me. The easiest thing to do is work backwards. This helps you budget your time for the most urgent things. Look deep into your calendar, maybe about a week or two, so that you can knock out the quick and easy early things so you don’t become overwhelmed later in the week. This is what I do, but this may be completely different for others.

• Balancing work and school is not easy, but I have found that spending some time on keeping everything organized helps the most. First, I have the privilege of working and going to school on opposite days, which helps in not getting mixed up between tasks. Second, I keep a planner with work and school tasks so that I can see my week/month laid out and am able to plan ahead if there is a certain week that I am busier than others. This planning ahead is key to time/stress management come midterm season! I also have a school task/reminder list and a work task/reminder list so that I may focus on each area separately, these items are stored centrally on my OneNote. Items are crossed off when they are complete, and I move on to the next task.

• Balance is key. Luckily, at the time I was doing the internship it was over the summer. That being said, I was working it full time and balancing a couple projects that I was working on. So, it is definitely key to stick ahead of schedule and note that you need to get XYZ done by X date so you can ensure that nothing will fall behind. Overall. it was great to learn and work – life balance will be extremely real for me come May. So, it was good to get an idea of what that will look like in the future.

• Planning, planning, and planning! At the beginning of the semester, I knew my free time during the weekdays will be limited. Thus, I bought a planner where I track all my tasks, including work and school, to allow myself prepare for different scenarios that can happen within a month. Every start of the month I make sure I write down how I will distribute the time to get all my school/internship work done. Then on weekly basis, I take a look back at my calendar to make sure I have not missed any. I found this technique very useful as it provides me detail information of what I did and did not, how can I improve for the next week/month, and the skills I used to get these tasks accomplished.

• For the past year I have been working 25 hours a week at my internship while also attending classes full time. Balance is definitely important if you want to succeed at both and not under perform at school or at work. I was not able to take my classes and work on different days so I mostly chose to take many night class. I attended work during the day and classes at night and luckily my job gave me an hour or two a day to prep for school. I tried to plan ahead the night before for any assignments and homework where due. This year has taught me a lot of useful organizational methods as I tried to balance work and classes together.

• I am huge with checklists. I always immediately write down everything I need to do and put a box next to it. I also was able to prioritize each objective by placing a star or highlighting what needed to be done sooner. Additionally, I always set reminders for myself. Most of the time they are through Google Calendars, or I can tell Siri “Remind me about xyz on Tuesday at 3 PM” and it will work well.

• Luckily, my Internship falls on days I don’t have class, but I still have to worry about what’s due the following day when I do have class. I have found that using a planner can help out immensely. Being a very visual person, it is great to see everything on page of what I have due in the coming days/weeks. With those in mind I make sure to create checkpoints along the way, and schedule out tasks that need to be completed. This has saved both time and stress when trying to balance school and work.

• Micromanaging time is necessary esp for me as I have two part-time jobs including my internship and full-time school work. Having the work-life balance is critical. I use tools like google calendar it helps me organize my tasks and meetings. I find the inbuilt checklist feature in google calendar very helpful. I also have solid time slots allocated for school work and internship work. This approach may seem siloed but it works well as I like to that both work and school differentiated.

• The best way to balance the working life and school works are time management. This semester i start using scheduled mapping as my primary tool for time management (AKA calendar). By planning everything ahead of time usually a month before the due date, and recorded the tasks to the calendar to keep track of the works needed to be done. At times it gets difficult sometimes especially when all of the tests, assignments and works all packed together. However, by allocating sufficient time to it, it just get easier and easier.

• The most important tip I can give to be able to handle school work and the internship is to work ahead of time as well as use google calendar. I would try and get any school work I had to do done a few days ahead of time so then I could worry about actual work only. At times when I had a lot going on I would always use google calendar so that I could check my schedule for each day and so I can manage my time most effectively.