Classroom Knowledge….

What have you learned in the classroom that you have leveraged in your internship?  Please respond by commenting to this post.

Please check the gradebook to see if you are missing any assignments.  You will have a no if I have not received it from you and it is past due.

13 Responses to “Classroom Knowledge….”

• I would say about 15% of the classes I took at school have helped me in my internship… Plato, Socrates, and chemical bonds have never helped me in any IT situation i have countered thus far. Thinking back, it is a shame how much time was wasted on useless courses… Time that could have been better spent learning to program or understanding computer science more.

But as far as MIS courses go, i have definitively used knowledge gained in class at my current position. Just to name a few- Understanding & writing SQL code, reading database architecture diagrams, understanding how Information Systems work and what is needed for them to run efficiently and effectively.

Although I still have much to learn; Temple MIS courses have helped start me on my IT path and given me the necessary building blocks to do so

• I find it extremely interesting that I happen to use a lot of what I have learned in the classroom while I was at my internship. Although I must say that the majority of what I use is not used strictly for technical applications while at my internship. I have noticed that I have been afforded with a high level business acumen from my learnings in Temple’s Fox School of Business. It has allowed me to conduct enlightening and beneficial conversations with my engagement team that I would have not been able to otherwise if I didn’t learn some of the things I did while in the classroom.
    I will add that I find it interesting how complicated many of the items I have learned in the classroom are and the actual application of those items seems a bit more simple. This can be attributed to the fact that I was an intern and wouldn’t be expected to make the most demanding or intellectually taxing decisions pertaining to a client, but still interesting from my viewpoint nonetheless. Overall my accounting courses have greatly attributed to me being able to recognize terms used and other claims made during conversations, also my MIS courses have better prepared me to recognize how to write a SQL sequence properly or how to create a proper flow chart diagram with appropriate separation of the swim-lanes.
    I am definitely thankful for what I have learned in the classroom, but I can’t help but agree with Ryan Diehl’s comment about time that could have been better spent on real applications of the matters that we will be working with on the job rather than reading “The Epic of Gilgamesh” or “The Illiad” .

• What have you learned in the classroom that you have leveraged in your internship? Please respond by commenting to this post.
    Many of the courses that I’ve taken in the past have help me greatly in this internship program. Just from the mandatory 1 credit Professional Development class that helps you obtain a job quicker and develop more skills that maybe necessary for the position available. That class alone was a huge help and a great start to get my foot into the door. As far as computer classes go, when I attended my CIS class “Cyberspace Technology in Society” seem to have been a very resourceful tool/class because it introduced me to many other computer systems, software, and development processes. Also how to utilize different basic programs and become more efficient in excel, Microsoft word, managing Google docs, creating a web page, uploading documents onto different sites and how to multi task in a much quicker pace. Having those skills while using Agile methodologies is greatly needed. Also, since I’m currently in a Data Analytics class dealing with managing functions and ERD models is something that my managers use during the meetings and now it enables me to understand better in terms of what they are referring to when dealing with departmental relationships, system analysis, and creating reports, etc. However, now having the hands on experience on a daily basis will also not only help me delegate task more efficiently in my internship, but also do better inside the IT classroom environment.

• Hey everyone,

One of the most important things I learned in the classroom that I have used in my intership is how to work in a team. When I first started at Temple I was not used to working so closely in teams. After being here for four years I learned how to work with a variety of people. This is important because at my job we constantly have to work in teams. Whether it is people who have the same position as me, or doctors, nurses, and nursing assistants. Because I work at a hospital it is crucial to be able to work with a variety of people especially people who have more credentials then you. It is important to do my job correctly and in a timely fashion because if not, I let the whole team down. I also used many tools such as SQL and Eclipse to play wth some codes for our current database. This is important because just knowing how to run a code has helped me to explore different things to add to our main database. I have also used courses such as Business Ethics when working because now I realize how important it is to do the right thing and that these decisions come in a matter of seconds. It has been very helpful to do this internship while taking these classes because it has changed the way I think and act.

• Communication, communication and more communication. Effective communication is probably the most important thing I’ve learned from classes at Fox. While many of my non-major classes I couldn’t care less for, they do allow me to understand people from other departments and backgrounds easier, which in turn allows me to communicate with them more effectively. SQL, various diagrams and software tools that we have learned to use in our MIS courses have also proved helpful along the way, however on-the-job learning is just as important in my eyes. Both of these elements are definitely secondary to communication though.

Perhaps the most important thing that I’ve learned in class has the been the different SDLC methodologies. Some of the different methodologies that I’ve had the chance to see in practice include the traditional “waterfall” method, and the less restrictive “agile’ method. Although we’ve covered these methodologies in class, It was difficult to understand the need for these processes until I had the chance to see them in practice.

Other things that were helpful include deliverables terminology. This was especially important when making reports for delieverables, as this allowed me to better understand what was currently being worked on by teams within the project.

• There are many classes that have helped me perform better and understand the dynamics of my workplace better, but Enterprise IT Architecture and Introduction to HR have been the most helpful. The main class that has helped me in my internship has been the Enterprise IT Architecture class. As I work in a data center and we had discussed data centers in that class, I was able to enter my internship understanding what to expect and what many of the technologies were, such as RAID arrays and Virtual Machines. I was able to ask insightful questions about the data center, such as asking what tier data center we were operating. I would also say that one of the classes that helped me in my internship was my introduction to HR class, where we were taught about the values of being both a leader and a follower. As an intern, I spend a lot of my time being a follower, following the lead of the full time employees, I leveraged what I learned in the classroom to understand how to be a good follower, while still providing support to the team. I have also been able to assume the role of leader in some situations, such as when one of the interns started a month later than everyone else, I was able to help him learn all the systems and processes we use in the data center to get up to speed.

• The most useful class yet has been Business Communications. Writing in a concise manner for emails or memos has been extremely helpful. Information Systems in Organizations, Data Analytics and Cyberspace courses have provided a nice foundation for computers, technology, and exposure to platforms, such as SAP, Dreamweaver, WordPress, and SQL. Digital Design and Innovation has enabled me to ask critical questions about business rules, business operations, and requirements for the project that I am working on. As some of the other students stated, the majority of classroom knowledge is interesting, but has not been relevant to my internship position. If I have questions or forget something, I use Google. For example, I have used Google to refresh how to use Excel functions.

• The most important thing would definitely be communication. It is always a good idea to make everything short and to the point. I also leveraged my education in SAP here at Campbell’s. In our introduction class we learned basic skills in SAP and creating a merchant order. I use those skills here to look up and modify tickets. These tickets are for services that employees have requested for, like adding a line to a receipt or changing the interface for a program. I feel like all the skills I learned throughout my college career have been implemented in some way at work. Another important class was my database class. The database class helped me understand where all the data is coming from and how the data is queried. If I didn’t have that background knowledge while working with excel, it would be hard to understand why there are so many fields when pulling a report. Furthermore it would be difficult to figure out how different reports and linked to different cells.

• Business Communications, Business Process Analysis, and Data Analytics have been the three most relevant classes to my internship. Since I have worked this internship for almost three years, I have seen the before and after effects of these classes. Business Communications helped me develop a more concise, effective writing style for emails and reporting documentations. Now, I rarely have to clarify and/or reword emails for all recipients to understand. Business Process Analysis helped me with the documentation and organization of report requirements. Before taking the course, I would rarely ask questions in meetings about specific clarification/reporting requirements. Now, I can view a reporting process, quickly clear up misunderstandings, and document a detailed process for future reference. Data Analytics has helped me understand database design and querying. Before Data Analytics, SQL was like a foreign language to me and I could provide no assistance with querying and/or SQL Reporting issues. Now, I can assist with querying if needed and can speak SQL with our database analyst and DBA. It is cool to see classroom learning in effect during the work week.

• I have learned many different skills over my collegiate career that has contributed to my success at my internship. Perhaps the most important skill I learned was SQL. I use this almost everyday at work, so it has been very beneficial. Overall, I think just knowing different business and technical terminology has helped me communicate with my co-workers.

• It has been very useful to have an internship while in my last semester at Temple. My senior classes have given me less functional and more managerial lessons. The functional skills I have learned, data analytics/business writing/presenting, were imperative to getting me in the door; however the managerial skills are what I need to be a leader. I am trying to apply my analytical thinking where I can, and I am very focused on gleaning analytical and leadership skills from the senior management I interact with.

• Currently I am taking a project management class. This class teaches us how to effectively allocate recourses as well as time management. The class mainly focuses on larger projects but all of the techniques taught in class can be used to complete any task. MIS course Enterprise IT Architecture has also been useful. Many of the principles in this class are the same principles being taught in project management. The unique thing about Enterprise IT Architecture is that you work on an actual project with a group of 4. A lot of what you learn in this class you learn while working with your team and not reading a book or going over PowerPoint slides. This is the most pertinent class I have taken because it can be applied directly to real world business scenarios. Come to think of it IT Architecture should come after project management seeing as the classes are supposed to “build” on each other.