MIS 3581, Summer 2017–Laurel Miller

Question #1: Internship Discussion

I hope everyone is off to a good start at your internships.  We have a bunch of students doing internships this summer and participating in this forum.   Please feel free to respond to one another student here if you have questions or comments.

The first question is easy: Where will you be working/worked?  What will you be doing/did?

Please post a comment to this post and share with everyone what some of your responsibilities will be/were.  Others may have questions or may be doing the same types of things.

Please be sure that your user ID is your name and not your TU email alias and also that you have an avatar.  We want to know who is posting.

Also if you have not started yet that is fine.  Please email me and let me know when you start.  You can then answer this question once you start.

28 Responses to Question #1: Internship Discussion

• Profile photo of Tony Wu

This summer of 2017 I will be working at Merck as a Data Management Operations Intern within the Global Data Management Standards department. I will be responsible for conducting a short term tactical data management related project or participate on an existing project. I will also work with other data management team members to accomplish project goals that can be related to data analytics, process improvement, or quality assessments/controls.

• Profile photo of Josh Veloso

That is awesome! I interned with Merck & Co. last summer and really enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. Will you be working at the North American IT Hub in Branchburg or at a different location?

• Profile photo of Edward George Lahm

Good Morning Everyone,

This summer, and beyond, I will be working at Infinity Digital Agency: a small digital marketing agency in Bucks County that mostly serves small-medium size business. My predominant role will be working beneath the Director of Marketing and making sure all of the SEO (search engine optimization) needs are met for our clients. While that will be my primary role, my supervisor has said that he’d like me to become familiar with all facets of the company so that I understand how my job affects everybody else’s, which I think is a great philosophy to have with interns or entry level employees. This includes PPC, social media, client interaction, market research, web design, proposal generation, and more. Also, the company is in the process of rebranding itself, and one of my extra-curricular activities will be to produce a video podcast. Since I have some minor experience in audio/video production in high school, I feel I can use those skills to really leave my mark on the company!

• Profile photo of Sarikka T Raman

Hi Edward! Your internship sounds amazing! I worked as a Marketing Intern at a small start-up last Summer, in which I developed my social media, market research, and web design skills. I enjoyed working in the small setting because I could try a variety of tasks within different departments and develop a deeper understanding of the inter workings of a business organization; the experience was unique and very educational. Good luck with your endeavors!

• Profile photo of Stephanie Vanessa Quispe

Hello Everyone,

I will be working at Domain Real Estate Group this summer. I family-owned business here in Philadelphia. I will be doing digital marketing and collaborating with others on managing their website. My job will be running a campaign on different social media platforms to increase engagement and awareness of the company. I will be utilizing Google Adwords as a strategic marketing tool to find potential clients, Come up with Search Engine Optimization strategy as well as customize their website page. The company has never before run a Google AdWords campaign or utilized Google Analytics, so I will be starting from scratch. I have some previous experience with Google Analytics which would help me accomplish this goal.

• Profile photo of Shray Patel

Hey Stephanie! I actually worked in a really similar role last year. I lead the digital marketing efforts for a family-owned property management company in Philadelphia. I had to learn, from scratch, how to build and manage websites, come up with an effective SEO strategy, etc. Pretty much exactly what you doing. Best of luck!

• Profile photo of Shray Patel

Since the beginning of this year, I have been working at BPM-D: a start-up management consulting company focused on business process management. I am working as an analyst leading our social media marketing efforts, as well as working alongside the CEO and senior managers with research and client-facing projects. Additionally, I am responsible for managing our relationships via Salesforce effectively and efficiently. This summer, I will be moving more into a consulting role – traveling and working remotely for clients looking to implement BPM into their organization. Working in business process management has fascinated me with understanding the increasingly disruptive effects of digitalization of classic business model. My overarching goal is to constantly learn about and spread awareness to teach leaders the best operating model to power the next-generation of enterprises.

• Profile photo of Arlo Antle

Hi Everyone,

My name is Arlo Antle and I have taken an Internship position at DecisivEdge, LLC. here in Newark, Delaware. DecisivEdge is a Technology Services/Consulting company who focuses on the financial industry. We work heavily with Oracle products as well as other financial services industry products. In my internship, there are three rotations throughout the summer, each lasting 4 weeks. Right now, I am in Quality Assurance, ensuring the quality delivery of our products and services to our clients. I have been working with the QA process on both agile and waterfall type projects, creating test scenarios based on provided business requirements. Moving forward, my next rotation will be in the Development & Delivery practice, who are very programming heavy as one may guess. From what I have gathered, the interns in this position often utilize the development languages they know and understand, therefore I will most likely be doing things I’ve learned at Temple such as HTML, SQL, and PHP. Lastly, I will finish in Business Optimization, which is essentially a Project Management/Business Analyst role. This practice helps in originating projects and following them through their cycles and keeping everything in check based on the business’s requirements. I am enjoying QA currently and look forward to my future rotations!

• Profile photo of Mohit Patel

Where I will be working:
    BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha is a socio-spiritual Hindu organization. Established in 1907 in India, BAPS has strived in promoting social service inspired by spirituality. For many years, I have been part of the children’s activities as a youth wing coordinator. I will be working on a special project for an upcoming event this September.

What I will be doing:
    I made a parallax website using HTML & CSS knowledge from MIS 3501 for a major event that will be in September. Due to the required features, we decided to configure the website through wordpress to make it easier for others to add content and/or other functions (i.e., event registration, transportation requests, etc.).

In addition to the website, I will be looking into potential options to handle backend data to manage the expected traffic. Additionally, I will be working with a few others to create dashboards that aggregate collected data and generate reports which allow supervisors to leverage the information into decision making for the event.

• Hi Mohit,

AWS has a generous free tier option for the first 12 months of usage. The documentation is quite developer friendly. I would recommend this for your expected traffic dilemma.

• Profile photo of Andrew H Min

Hello,
    I will be working at AmerisourceBergen Corporation as a Finance Intern. I will be working to map finance processes between Hyperion strategic finance system and their Hyperion planning systems as well as other Hyperion and/or SAP reporting systems. I will also be helping create management reporting presentations. I will be using data analytics as a method to getting as many projects done along with my team.

• Profile photo of Alex Cicioni

During the fall of 2016 and into spring of 2017, I obtained an internship with a digital marketing startup called Updates Central. My objective was to use Updates Central platforms and applications to target a variety of companies to reach their customers about promotions that are running. Ultimately, I increased a businesses revenue and customer base. The digital platform I used was a wonderful experience for me because it mixed both information technology with marketing. I was also responsible for updating customer profiles using certain tools within the companies application.

• Profile photo of Gabrielle Marie Finley

Hi everyone! This summer I will be interning in Philadelphia at Cigna, a global health service and insurance company. I am in their Technology Early Career Development Program (TECDP). Within TECDP I will be working in Group IT as a Project Coordinator in the GCMFI Program. My role will be to coordinate all aspects of the project life cycle and to work with matric IT partners to document status of deliverables, milestones, risk and issue resolutions. I will help develop the integrated project plan, resource plan, communication plan, and related project management artifacts. In my role I will serve as a conduit between project team and leadership teams to routinely brief key stakeholders on different aspects of assigned initiatives. Another part of the TECDP internship is an intern group project. I will be working with other interns throughout the summer to develop a web based application to try to reduce surprise prescription costs.

• Profile photo of Kin San Lee

Hello all,

This summer, I will be working as Business Analyst Intern in My Biz Consulting. In this company, I will be gathering and managing data from this particular industry and also from customer’s trends. I will also evaluate variety data which are related to the company’s business processes. Since I started yesterday, I had meetings with the CEO and business analyst leaders to create a project timeline on how we are going to manage the researched data. In addition, I will be helping in the design of the data models and workflows of the project. I am glad to learn those skills in past MIS classes. I look forward to enhance those skills during my internship.

• Profile photo of Samuel Phillips

Hello all, I hope your summer is going well so far! This summer I will be working as an IT Audit Intern as a part of Wells Fargo’s Audit Summer Internship Program. During this, I will learn the keys to financial services, auditing, and risk analysis as well as performing a number of audit projects within the department of risk management. I am extremely excited to start this coming Monday and will be flown to Charlotte for formal training and to meet higher up individuals in the Audit department with WF. One of the main reasons I landed this position is because I explained to them what I learned and performed during Amy’s 3506 class. Ultimately, my goal is to be considered for their Audit Associate Program upon graduation and this summer will be geared around grooming myself in preparation for that opportunity.

• Profile photo of Kasey L Brown

This summer I’ll be interning at Cigna in their Philadelphia office as a Technology Early Career Development Program (TECDP) intern. My specific role will be project manager/project coordinator in Group IT. My role will involve supporting project deliverables for the Claims and Leave Management program through the following: develop status reports and project documentation and report out status, issues, risks, and escalations to project and program manager, assist in management of team’s adherence to program best practices and software delivery standards (design and requirement reviews, testing reviews, gate meetings), develop relationships with business and vendor partners to meet end project deliverables, participate and coordinate meetings and provide/follow-up on notes, and provide updates and action items to the rest of the Group IT team. In addition, I’ll also be working on a Summer Innovation project with other TECDP interns from across the country. My group will work to develop a solution regarding check-in procedures at doctors’ offices.

• Profile photo of Louisa Carleton

Hello, all!
    Since March of 2017 I have been working at the contract research organization Chiltern International as a Project Management Intern. I have been and am currently tracking and managing resources from various teams on various sponsors. In addition to this, I have also been added to new roles in that I track the daily workload and hours of resources as well as keep the Associate Director apprised of the overall status of the projects she oversees. I also create project timelines for projects and attend status meetings with project leads to ensure that everything is on schedule and on budget.

• Profile photo of Josh Veloso

This summer I will be interning with JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the largest banking and financial services companies in the world. I will be part of the Audit Analyst program as a Technology Auditor for the Consumer & Community Bank. My role may include reviews of business applications, data management, global infrastructure, digital technologies and cyber/information security. I will be evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of controls within the technology organization. I will also have the opportunity to provide management with recommendations for improving the control environment, as I learn about the importance of technology to the business success.

• Profile photo of Claudine Youssef

Hi Everyone,

This summer I will be working at Prudential as a Business Analysis in the Incident Management Department. There they evaluate incident tickets from customers and reengineer applications to be user friendly and inclusive so that these incidents do not develop into expensive events. My manager, Gregory Brace, has called to inform me that I will be using IBM Tivoli Monitoring and Netcool/Omnibus which help to remedy customer tickets. I will also be analyzing data, looking for trends and reoccurring patterns. My goal is to find an efficient way to process and present the data so that we can create a solution to better help the application resolve and decrease the amount of tickets processed.

• Profile photo of Noah Fulkroad

Since January I have been interning at Professional Capital Services as the IT intern. The firm is a medium sized financial company that manages retirement funds. As the IT intern, I report to the systems administrator and the director of IT. I manage the antivirus and data backup software running on our servers. When an employee is hired or terminated, I create/delete their user profile in Active Directory as well as our Office 365 portal. If users have issues with certain applications or accessing something, I am the one who reaches out and resolves those issues. I also have begun managing the phones and telecommunication software that records service calls. This company utilizes Salesforce as their CRM tool. I will also be working on the administrative side of that application as the summer moves along.

• Profile photo of Kayla J Herbst

This summer I am working again at Pfizer, a pharmaceutical company, and have been working here for a year now. Throughout my time here, I have been apart of the BT (Business Technology) sector, specifically on the ACT (Advancing Content & Transactions) team. My main role involves learning and practicing Project Management skills, and with a lot of help from my supervisor, I have been able to continue to grow in that role. Some of my responsibilities this summer includes: tracking and completing CAPAs (Corrective And Preventative Actions), following up regularly with team members to ensure timely progress, and documenting critical technical information for the application that our sub-team focuses specifically on.

• Profile photo of Claudine Youssef

Hi Kayla, working at Pfizer sounds like a great company. What is one of the most important project skills that your learned at Pfizer?

• Profile photo of Kayla J Herbst

Hi Claudine! One of the most important project skills I’ve learned is to determine a realistic timeframe in which our team can complete expected work. Microsoft Project helps a lot with this, but it’s important to know what each team member has on his or her plate so that you know whether an action item will take two days, or perhaps a whole week. My takeaway is this: when your boss asks for a projected due date, make sure you’re fully aware of what’s going on in your team and that you have a full understanding of each person’s ability before you give an answer.

• Profile photo of Adriana Shuster

This summer I will be working with TD at their Technology Center located in Mt Laurel, NJ. I am currently placed in the technology sector with 7 other interns, but we will all be working on independent projects. I am assigned to the Retail Technology branch, which is where most of my projects will be contained. Retail Technology focuses on the products and services TD offers and sells to its customers such as individual loans and mortgages. My main goal while I am here is to use a finance-focused technology project to learn more about project management and enhance the skills I learned specifically in MIS 3506. One of the projects I am currently assigned to focuses on anti-money laundering (AML), so I will be working with a group of full-time employees to help design and develop the beginning stages of this project. I will also be working on another retail technology project that is in a different part of the Project Life Cycle to help give me additional real-life experience.

• Profile photo of Sarikka T Raman

This Summer I am interning in Johnson & Johnson’s Information Technologies Department, specifically the Application Services department, which is located in Raritan, New Jersey. Johnson & Johnson recently consolidated its IT department; now its four sectors, which include consumer, pharma, and medical devices, all have the same IT department. Previously, each sector worked with its own IT department, but J&J is taking significant strides in creating a single department with cohesive business information across all four sectors, thus effectively working, saving time and money. As an intern, I will be working one on one with business partners to ensure that their information is correct and up to company standards to ensure information integrity and consistency. I will be updating this information and transferring it to a steam-lined database. By doing so, my department can consolidate its amount of vendors, leverage scale, and create models for future analysis.

• Profile photo of Ian M Usher

This summer I am interning with the Open Platform Engineering team at NBC Universal. I officially start this coming Thursday, and throughout the ten weeks that I am with NBC I will be working on four distinct projects. For my first project, I will be researching app containerization platforms such as Docker, Kubertenes, and Apache Mesos, and recommend which platform our team should use for app development projects. For my second project, I will spend time filling out the technical service logs and business service logs. Thirdly, I will be interviewing business owners, and collect information of the value that their application business bring to NBC Universal. The last project I will be working on is with a group of other Media-Tech interns which is yet to be disclosed.

• I am working as a Business Analyst for Prudential in Newark, NJ. I have been assigned to the cloud transition team. We are sifting through Prudential’s digital assets to see which applications would benefit most from the transition, typically from a cost perspective. A big 4 consulting firm has just submitted a tool to help us choose the optimal candidates.

Certain applications have short spikes in usage. The traditional data center server-space model Prudential has used is ill fitted for these applications, It is in each business unit’s best interest to over-allocate server space, to ensure sufficient computational capacity for those short spikes. Cloud is a perfect remedy for this conflict of interests.

On the other hand, several applications query databases containing HIPAA and other sensitive client data. The company is hesitant to give up control over the security measures for these databases. The cost savings, however, would be quite substantial. There are several difficult decisions to be made over the coming months.

• Profile photo of Yaning Wang (Will)

This summer I will be working at Motorola Solutions in Chicago IL. I am working as a data analyst, data as a service, in the IT department. I will be working closely with sales department and IT department. For the summer I will define and measure the whole process from a quote to an order. And I will also need to ensure we have all the data we wanted and in the correct format. After understand the quote to order process, I will analyze the data to find insights from it. For example, how many phrases does a quote had before it turns to an order and how long does it take from a quote to an order, etc. I will provide the insights I found to the sales team in order to improve their efficiency.

• Profile photo of Tony Nguyen

This summer, I will be interning as Risk Advisory Services Security and Privacy Consultant for RSM in Philadelphia. I will be working with other staff members on the security and privacy teams. A few of my duties will be: assessing the security of client networks, hosts, and applications; testing and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of mobile applications and web services; and performing penetration tests using various methodologies. Although my “home office” will be Philadelphia, I will be traveling around the greater Philadelphia area to client sites. I will be working with ethical hackers and I cannot wait to “shoulder surf” as they work their magic!

• Profile photo of Sean M Dougherty

Hi everyone! This summer I am interning at Cigna in their Philadelphia office. I am a Technology Early Career Development Program intern (along with two other students in this class, Kasey and Gabrielle, which is pretty cool!). My title is Systems Analyst, and I am assigned to the Service Performance and Metrics team. This team is responsible for creating and maintaining systems that hold information relevant to the productivity and quality of IT functions. In other words, my team is responsible for monitoring how well all other teams in IT are performing against their goals. We utilize a custom-made system that tracks the status of all IT projects, and generates reports that provide a snap-shot of performance quality across the organization. I’ll be assisting with the creation of new automated reports that unlock key insights. Also, we regularly release new versions of our system to accommodate user demand, and I will be assisting with the requirements gathering aspect of this process. Furthermore, I am working with a team of fellow interns to develop an application that addresses surprise pharmacy costs.

• Profile photo of Eli J Cohen

This summer I will be a remote media buyer for an e-commerce company that sells skincare and anti-snoring products. My main role is to generate sales through calculated paid media buys on ad networks that display their ads on various websites such as CNN.com, Reuters, aol, and many others. My role is to generate content for the entire marketing funnel and optimize it into profitability. Some of the tasks I need to accomplish include, budget and campaign optimization, website editing, knowledge of dreamweaver and HTML and CSS. Ad copywriting techniques and using sales copy to influence customers to purchase products.

I have full access to all campaign data and marketing analytics. I provide weekly reports directly to the CEO of the company and he allocates me a specific budget based on certain metrics. The most important metric they are looking at is the CAC= cost of acquired customer. These products have very high margins so if their cost to acquire a customer is below $30 they are generating a very high profit. This is an interesting opportunity for me which could result in a full time paid position that is compensated by commission per sale.

If anyone wants to talk about e-commerce, digital advertising, cryptocurrencies, or tech feel free to reach out to me!

thank you.

• Profile photo of Xiaozhou Yu

I recently just started my intern as an Data Analyst this summer, I’m hired by MESA Technical Associates Inc, which provides power solutions for telecommunications, utilities and industrial customers.
    I will report to the Director of IT at MESA. And i’m responsible for assisting Dir. of IT in terms of verifying data accuracy, maintaining project management database, ERP system administration and providing support for digital marketing initiatives.
    After close discussion with Adam Alalouf the Dir of IT, who is also an instructor for Temple MIS, I found that this position is highly related to the course I have at Temple, which benefit in both ways. I can better understand what I’ve learned at Temple with real industry experience and I can better understand the course I’m going to take next semester with the experiences and skills learned from the intern. Really feel excited with this intern for my last summer during my college life!