MIS 3581, Summer 2016–Laurel Miller

Discussion Question #2

I hope everyone is learning a lot in your internship.  Here is question #2.  Please comment on this and feel free to respond to other’s comments as well.

What are some of the important things that you had to find out on your own–having to do with the company culture and/or things you wouldn’t normally think you have to ask for…finding the bathroom, finding where to get coffee in the morning, etc?

39 Responses to Discussion Question #2

• As a intern at the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, I had to quickly learn how to use different programs like Microsoft Outlook, Skype for Business, and Sharepoint all on the same day. I had a list of multiple meetings I had to attend every day and had no idea how I would keep track of that until I learned that I needed to set up a calandar with Microsoft Outlook. I also had trouble finding my supervisors because of the many cubicles and offices on my floor. One of my supervisors actually told me to “IM” her through Skype if I needed to reach her, turns out thats how everyone here contacts each other versus walking to their cubicle and offices. Lastly, I could not find the bathroom, and refused to ask because of embarassment. I finally found it however, after making two laps on my floor (I walked past it multiple times, oops).

• Hi Celynna,

I also had to learn Microsoft Outlook when I first started my internship. Outlook seems like a tool used by many companies and knowledge of it before hand would have been extremely useful. It would be interesting if Fox decides to implement TUmail with Outlook and have it as the primary emailing application for business students.

• Hi Celynna,

I too had to learn new programs on the first day of the job. I am so used to using Gmail and other Google programs that when I was asked to use Outlook for email I had to learn it for the first time. I also plan to set up a calendar in Outlook because I have heard it can be of use. Another new program I had to learn to use on my own is something called Cisco Jabber. Jabber is an easy way to get in touch with collegues (think instant messaging). In fact, Jabber is a lot like AIM, so it was relatively easy to pick up on, and it is much easier than emailing someone back and forth.

• I’ve learned that things move slowly in large companies. Going through a lengthy bureaucratic process can be frustrating, especially when it doesn’t work properly. However, lengthy processes like that employ a lot of people, and I think that’s a good thing. I’ve also observed how people have different, unspoken expectations of each other, and conflict can sprout when those expectations aren’t met. But overall, most of the people I’ve met at work have been kind and helpful.

• Hi Alexandra!

I’ve never worked in a large corporation, so I found myself wondering how people deal with a slow and frustrating bureaucratic process. Do they accept it or do some people try to find ways to change the system? Are people given room to improve processes or are they forced to conform to the status quo?

I’ve also experienced the often unspoken expectations in other firms I’ve worked for. I found that I often caused trouble because I ignored these expectations. My life was easier than others due to my only concerning myself with only aiming to meeting the expectations that were clearly defined to me. The downside to that is that I may have missed out on opportunities due to my focus on defined expectations. How do people at your firm deal with them? How did you find out about these expectations and how do you go about meeting them or don’t you?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

Manny

• Hey Manny,

From my experience, the “slow and frustrating” bureaucratic process is just something a large corporation has to deal with. My theory is that this has to do with the large generation gap between millennials and baby boomers. As a millennial working with a lot of older people, I go through this everyday. It literally takes weeks to get some of my questions answered. The system is really hard to change especially when a culture has already been established decades ago. People are afraid of change, and therefore change is hard to come by.

• Hi Manny,
        Where I work, there are people whose jobs are dedicated to improving processes that affect people around the globe. The world is always changing, and my company not only adapts to those changes, it finds innovative ways to capitalize on new waves of thought and technology. On the one hand, changing processes is slow. It’s frustrating for me to have to go through processes that don’t work or are outdated. It always takes time to transition from one way of doing things to another because of bureaucratic reasons, generational reasons (like Kevin mentioned), poor communication, poor planning, etc. But I’ve found that even though bureaucracy slows things down, in the grand scheme of things, change happens so quickly at SAP. And in all large corporations, ones whose decisions affect thousands of their employees’ lives and millions of their customers’ lives, I’ve learned that bureaucracy is absolutely necessary. Complicated processes require collaboration between everyone who uses those processes. And billions of dollars are on the line, which I think is insane. BILLIONS.
        When it comes to meeting those unspoken expectations, I don’t have a definitive answer for you. I think it depends on how much you want to personally engage with your coworkers and more importantly, how you want to affect your team. I’ve learned that sometimes people aren’t even conscious of their expectations. What’s going on in their personal lives affects their work lives. Their personal experiences, beliefs, and values affect how they treat people and how they want to be treated. Sometimes they can’t communicate those expectations. I found that the more I engaged with my coworkers, the more I learned about them, and the better I understood how they wanted their lives to be. I’m the kind of person who tries to stay positive, and I’m happy when I make other people happy. So I tried to help my coworkers. I tried to listen to my their problems and help them by making them laugh or doing them a favor, etc. It made my work experience so much more fulfilling, and I made some great friends because of it. I used to be someone who separated my work relationships and my personal relationships. I don’t know why. It may have been because work was only work to me (aka serious, stressful, and not really fun), and my personal life was fun and relaxed. It may have been because I am a bit introverted. But then I realized that (1) I should work somewhere that makes really me happy, no matter what, and (2) I can make friends wherever I go. Those realizations have really improved my life. I like going to work, and I like the people I work with. Overall, my company is very aware of the power of company culture, and it sponsors campaigns to communicate what SAP culture should be, which in my opinion is supportive, encouraging, engaging, innovative, cooperative, challenging, flexible, and kind. Senior leadership works really hard to create a positive work culture at SAP, and I think most people who work here do typically convey that culture. Sure, it’s not perfect, but people really do try. Working at a company that has a unified vision for the company’s culture and COMMUNICATES that vision may help relieve some of your concerns about unspoken work expectations. And working with a team that makes you comfortable to be yourself might also help make your work experience more enjoyable. To sum it up, I think a way to deal with those unspoken expectations is to communicate as much as possible so there is less ambiguity in general.
        Sorry for blabbing on about where I work! But I think it’s a wonderful company, and I hope my experiences and reflections can help you somehow.

• Nestle Purina has 2 different buildings in St. Louis, roughly a mile apart. I found myself asking multiple times what building I was supposed to be in at what time which was something I had never considered beforehand as being a concern. Nestle offers all of their products and brands to their employees for free or at a very low cost- for example, NesCafe coffee. There is a NesCafe coffee machine on every floor in the offices. My first day I didn’t know if it was something we could go grab at any time and if it was free or not. Although this was a minor thing it was still something I had to figure out on my own and then verify with another employee afterwards. The biggest thing I had to figure out on my own was the company culture. Everyone I have met so far at Purina is like one big family. They are first and foremost coworkers but are also really great friends. They have lots of inside jokes, play pranks on each other and have a lot of fun while still getting all their work done efficiently. One employee even showed up in a hot pink suit to welcome in the interns. It was an experience learning the company culture but I found it easy to fit in with and very enjoyable.

• Hi Everyone!

Joining a new company is always an adventure. My position is self-motivated in every way, so adjusting to not having a superior telling me what to do was interesting to say the least. My major task during my initiation phase was to learn two new systems, Sage and Microsoft Dynamics, to an expert level on my own within a couple weeks.

If this wasn’t difficult enough, I also had to adjust to an entirely new professional environment. Although I work in the technology field, my company is an accounting and auditing firm. This meant I had to adjust to wearing uncomfortable clothes and getting up earlier to prepare for work, no more waking up fifteen minutes before I have to be on the road.

I expected people to be very uptight in this environment, but quickly learned that the company goes out of its way to make sure the employees become more of a family than any of my previous employers. I had to learn to make time to do company activities to better connect with my colleagues. The firm provides many opportunities for colleagues and clients to connect from volunteering to sponsored sports teams to company paid events such as company parties or a night at the Philadelphia Soul.

Even though I was given a personal tour by Human Resources on my first day, I had to ask many people where different places were during my first week. I got to know quite a few people quickly. I was embarrassed that I couldn’t figure out where people were in a cubicle farm, but everyone laughed and walked me to my destination. I also had to find the good local food spots, which many people take for granted. I find this to be one of the most important things to find out quickly because having a place to grab a good bite to eat can make a bad day get better in a hurry!

Have a great week!

Manny Clark

• Greetings Everyone.

Fortunately, I was given a full tour of the office space and knew the basics such as where the bathrooms and break rooms were thus saving me any embarrassment. However, I’ve still had several questions to ask. I realized that many of my colleagues preferred printed versions of completed work rather than soft copies. When I asked why, the previous intern who was coaching me told that it is how they prefer to do things here. That made me think of how I can help make this office more paper free and still efficient. Also, I had several questions about outlook since I had never used it such as why outlook is preferred. Another interesting thing I had to get used to was to get into the habit of asking if there were any tasks left remaining to assist. Usually in my previous work experiences, I was given work where I was seated but this time around, I had to go and ask for work which is not a big deal but interested to know how things can be different in different companies.

• There are many things I had to learn in my position in regards to the culture of the organization. One of the top things I learned is how to communicate with people with different nationalities and customs of their own. At the refugee center, refugees come from all over the world and a simple thing like saying hello is depicted differently depending on the culture, so I had to make sure that I was being respectful in order to communicate best. Another thing I learned is that everyone that works there is honestly like a family. The interns and the people that work there have a lot of responsibility but that also comes with knowing that you can depend on anyone and it can end up being all hands on deck if needed.

• Hey Bridget, I think it’s great that everyone at your internship is like a family and willing to help. That just makes the work environment a lot better and less stressful. I’ve only been at my internship for a little, but I hope the work environment will be similar to yours. Good luck on your internship; it sounds very interesting!

• When I first started my internship back in August, I had very little guidance on how my organization worked. It was very stressful at first (still is) because everything was so foreign to me. I didn’t even understand what people were saying most of the time because they frequently spoke in acronyms. I also noticed at a very early stage that not everyone is willing to help you. I literally had to learn everything on my own with some assistance from my co-workers. I found the best way to learn was by observing, doing, and making mistakes along the way.

Funny Story
    – I remember when I first started, I greeted the admiral (the most important person at our company) with a “What’s up man”. I had no idea who he was at the time and that we had to greet military personnel differently. I never did that again.

• Hey Kevin, I can imagine that the encounter with the admiral was very awkward for you! I agree that the best way to learn is by observing, doing, and making mistakes along the way. I definitely prefer to learn hands on. Hopefully the stress eases up and you get comfortable with your internship!

• Hey Kevin, I really feel bad for the story with the admiral. I myself found myself in a similar situation with a partner ( the most important person at the firm) and started sending emails to them without any formating, as if they were simple associates (which is the beginning position at PwC). When I later realized it I was so embarassed, but well we are interns, and making mistakes are also part of the learning process. Also I definitely agree with you that the best way to learn is through observation, practice, and especially hands-on experience. Making mistakes also have there importance in learning. I started working on my first client today, and It was only when I started doing real work, that all the things we were taught during my first two weeks of training started making sense.

• For me at AstraZeneca, the hardest thing is decoding all these acronyms. Almost everything here is an acronym, from the building names to every person’s title. It can be fairly confusing having somebody say nearly an entire sentence in acronyms. It seems like everything in this place has an acronym, for my first week I spent a whole lot of time writing my own acronym reference sheet, or ARS, just to be able to keep up. Another confusing part is simply navigating through the buildings. Locations are denoted by a 6 character code in the format of XX#-###. While I’m sure it’s easy to figure out, I haven’t yet, so when leaving for meetings I make sure to leave myself ample time. It’s also an adjustment working with such a large number of people. During my last internship, I knew all 40 coworker’s names in every location fairly quickly. Now, most coworkers are strangers. It seems almost pointless (and probably a little annoying) to introduce myself to new faces when I cross them in the halls, as there are new faces constantly, many of whom are contracted out anyway. Another thing I’ve noticed is people here are serious. I generally don’t care about things and try to tell jokes most the time, but here I act like I care more than I do and don’t joke around like I’ve done at every previous job I’ve had.
    -Elijah J.

• I have just started my internship and have only had a few things to discover on my own. The people are really kind and have told me most basic things I need to know. I am finding it hard to get used to dressing casually to go to work instead of wearing business clothes which I am used too. I also am having to play catch up because my peers have experience with coding and SAP and I do not. They are helpful and I am learning a lot. Lastly the amount of acronyms we have to memorize are really challenging ( I need a dictionary for them).

• During my first internship with PwC last summer, I had some of these issues. It was the first time I was working in an office. I have experience in retail and as a cashier at a grocery store but this is completely different. As far as company culture, PwC has a great culture and I got the sense of it from the interviews and other events prior to the internship and from what I could find online and know what I was getting myself into. The firm focused on it at lot on the first day especially. PwC floor layout is the same on every floor. It also has the same cubicles and offices for everyone to make things more “equal”. (Doyle talks a lot about this in change management). At first I did circles on every floor. You would know once you started seeing the same people but after the first few days. However, soon when I sat at a cubicle (no assigned cubicles) I made sure know where the bathroom and kitchen is and I am set for the day. There really isn’t much more to it because the way the firm is. When you first walk in the door you meet your career coach. Paired unique to you, as mine was a Manager in Risk Assurance Brooke Morgenstern a Temple Alumni with her CPA and CISA (goals) that was also in the same exact shoes as me years ago. She was there to answer these questions day 1 and any throughout the internship and there were no surprises. Also you had an associate coach. Also the firm is big and I knew a few associates that I could ask questions. When I when to my clients these issues don’t come up as someone from the engagement gave me a full tour every time. I also always asked questions in advance such as what the team did for lunch, which goes a long away. A lot of teams just pack with nothing on site. I still get lost at my client sites but always learned quickly where to park, enter and all the little essentials. I guess thats client service.

• My first week at Vanguard was very informative about the culture of the company as well as the buildings and where certain items are in those building however; there were some instances where I needed to learn on my own or ask questions. The first day all of the interns had to get accustomed to Lotus Notes, which is the email carrier that Vanguard uses as well as getting use to the campus with has over 7 building just n main campus. My second and third day I was finally place in my department and had to get to know my area. I needed to ask how to get onto the conference calls and how to use the phone in general. I also needed to ask if I was allowed to print and how to do that to get my schedule. I had to get use to locking my desk up in order to keep important documents safe. Luckily, I have a great manager and team who have been giving me tours of the office and the software as much as possible. I am very excited to get into my project and see what the summer has in store.

• Hi Sara,
      I also had to learn about how to use conference calls. After given easy directions (just call this number, and say your name), I thought it would be a piece of cake. I was so confused when I would dial the conference number, and instead get a beeping, busy noise. I thought I did something wrong and redailed the number multiple times and ended up missing the enitre confrenece. I later found out that the phone in my cubicle was broken and not even connected. But I’m glad you did not have to face the embarassment like I did and I hope you have a wonderful experience at Vangaurd!

• After being here two weeks, there are many things I’ve had to learn about the company culture and the inter workings of my department. One thing I’ve had to learn and ask questions about is Skype for business and Outlook. I’ve never used either service and getting all set up with these took a few days due to a firewall issue. Luckily, whenever I have a question regarding anything the people on my team are very helpful and welcoming. I am quickly learning how to fit in and act in this culture and setting.

• Hi Connor,
      I also had to learn how to use both Skype for Business and Outlook for the Federal Reserve Bank of PHL. It all seemed very new to me at first, especially since because I didn’t know the many features of it. With Outlook, I used it especially to add meetings to my calandar. I just recently learned how to create meetings of my own and view the schedules of other people so there is no time conflict and I found this very helpful.
      Good luck at your internship, I’m sure you will do well!

• During my first week at Subaru of America, I’ve definitely learned a few things that I wasn’t sure about before I started. Locations of different meeting places were somewhat confusing at first but everyone is more than happy to help find your way if you ask. Dress code was another thing that wasn’t 100% clear. Business casual is what emails from HR advised me, but as I looked around most people where a nice polo instead of a dress shirt. Overall, I learned a lot of small things like this and am already pretty comfortable with knowing where everything is and how to dress appropriately.

• Hi Vincent,
      The place I work at also has a business casual dress code. On the the first week, I noticed all the male interns were wearing their suits and a nice dress shirt, but over time they transitioned to wearing nice polo shirts since that’s what most of the male full time positions wear here. It was amazing to me to see how others around me are slowly adapting to the work place.

• Coming into this internship, I had the culture and processes of the company I worked at last summer ingrained in my head. Very quickly I learned that both companies, despite being in the similar industries, are each very different. Whereas the company I worked at last summer had a more efficient IT helpdesk, the company I’m working now has without a doubt, the best people. Often times I think in my head “but company X did it better, why can’t company Y also do it?” I’ve learned that there are many differences between a 1,000 person company and a 40,000 company, and implementing change in a larger organization will always take more time.

Something I still do need to find out on my own – where to find an envelope.

• One thing I have learned in my first week at Wells Fargo is how relaxed the Audit Services office compared to my other experiences with an office setting. I was under the impression that the office would be hectic at all times with all the different deadlines and just the general stress of working within a large bank. This seems to be because of the virtual nature of Audit Services, with team members and managers for each audit team spread out around the country. Also, I found it interesting that the senior audit manager that I report to isn’t in Philadelphia, which seems kind of strange to me now. Another thing I like is how open and friendly everyone is in the office. People are fine with me messaging them any questions I might have, even if they seem a bit silly.

• Some things I had to find out on my own regarding the company culture that I wasn’t aware of in the beginning are who to contact for things like payroll, access needed for special software, etc. Some of the information about me entered in my payroll profile was wrong; and I had to figure out myself who to contact regarding the Payroll. Getting access to the required systems for the project you are working on is another aspect that I had to figure out myself. It took some time to get approval from the authorized personnel to gain the access because there are multiple personnel that approves the access. Everyone in the department is very helpful in directing us to meeting rooms, bathrooms, cafeteria, etc. Now after spending two weeks here, I feel comfortable getting around the building and knowing who to contact for what.

• The issues I face is how to efficiently use Microsoft Outlook and Sharepoint. It seems like I have been using Google Apps forever and coming to Comcast its totally the opposite. I feel like a newbie trying to figure out how to simple tasks such as figuring out to “thread” email messages in Outlook. Comcast uses SAP for their time entry system which took some time to understand. Out in West Chester Comcast has a laid back culture. My manager encourages asking questions which helps out a lot when I feel lost.

• This week was my first week on the job, and I learned that it is okay to ask questions (and boy, did I have a lot of questions!). Of course I had a lot of the questions that most interns have, like “Where is the restroom?” and “Where is my desk?” and “Who do I keep asking questions to?” However, I did not expect to have to find out how to get a work computer on my own, and I did not expect to have to find out on my own what time I the workday starts and what time it ends. I literally would have had no idea when to arrive at work the first day if I had not inquired! All things considered, the people that I work with have been very helpful with teaching me how to do my job (I am doing data conversion and uploading via SAP), and I am thankful to them for that.

• Based on my first week at Wells Fargo, one of the most complicated things that I found so far was to make sure that I was aware of other time zones. In my position, I’m often communicating with Wells Fargo offices both in Charlotte and San Francisco. While Charlotte is still on the east coast, scheduling an appointment with someone virtually in San Francisco can become difficult because outlook does not account for the time difference. I found that it is important to recognize that even though it is 12p in Philadelphia, it is still early to schedule meetings with the other offices and that it is important to be aware of who is located in each office and when convenient times for them to meet are. As for the office itself, the staff is extremely friendly and works hard to ensure that the interns are comfortable and that they know where all the amenities are.

• As an intern at Broadview Networks in King Of Prussia, I had to learn many things on my own. First of all, I had to ask someone to show me where the cafeteria and bathroom was which was kind of embarrassing. The dress code seems pretty lenient as I see people wearing jeans and polo and no one says anything. I also did not expect to receive my own cubicle and computer, which made me feel like I was contributing to the company. The culture of Broadview is completely different from what I expected; everyone is really laid back and always willing to help. I enjoy coming in every day. There are many applications that I have had to learn on my own such as: Microsoft Outlook, Taskbucket, OpenCafe 8, and A LOT of technical terms and abbreviations that I have not seen before. Overall, I am enjoying my internship at Broadview Networks thus far.

• Because JPMC is such a large firm, I had to quickly learn the hierarchy of my team and the teams I will interact with so that when upper management or someone that I’ll be working with came in I could recognize them and introduce myself/ask the appropriate questions! It was always very awkward last summer when someone introduced themselves and I was supposed to know that they upper management that played a huge role in my team’s work and I had no idea or asked, “So, what do you do?.”

• Interning at TD Bank has been great so far, but I did have to learn a lot. TD uses Lotus Notes for the Audit team to report timekeeping, post testing worksheets, potential findings if any, and all other documentation associated with an audit. For those who have not had the “joy” of using Lotus Notes, it is terrible and the user interface is massively outdated. I had to learn how to reserve my desk for each week, because we have flex seating since full time staff are allowed to work 2 days a week from home. The culture at TD is very friendly and pretty laid back. Packing a lunch is uncommon, so I have joined a “lunch crew” that is in the process of acquiring a game show style wheel to help select where we go to lunch quicker.

• Today was my first day in the office working at Ernst & Young and the learning curve was huge. I had just gotten back from Detroit for training and was still very unfamiliar with the office space. It took me a 10 minutes to find printer which I then discovered that there was multiple of scattered through out the office. I learned that I will be using an interface called GMAX tomorrow that I heard is a very slow platform for work. In addition, my office uses Skype for Business for all communication. At other companies that I have worked for in the past the main use of communication was the chat feature on outlook. I was in a meeting today and my colleague said ping me and at first I had no idea what she was talking about then I realized that was the office jargon for ‘send me an IM’.

• Since my boss is also a professor at Temple, he is all about lifetime learning. His classes at Temple are all very open-ended and the internship position is just the same. My first day, he asked me to copy a list in one excel document and figure out how to match it up with a different list in a different order in a different sheet. He gave me a few helpful Excel resources, but did not explicitly explain to me how to do it; I had to figure it out on my own. I think this style of teaching is how students and interns learn best, because most of the things I have learned so far in this position I have had to work to figure out on my own in creative ways rather than having the answer told to me. I watch a lot of Lynda training videos to figure out how to use the softwares we use.
    Working in a coworking space like Pipeline is also a unique experience because it is a number of completely different small companies in one collaborative office space. I don’t really know anyone besides my boss, his two accountants, and a few other employees. I try to be friendly and say hello to people working in the space around me but I don’t really know anything about any of the other companies in the space. The front desk employees are very friendly and they sometimes bring in food and snacks for the office, but I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to have any at first so I had to ask which was a little embarrassing. They also provide free coffee all day, everyday, and after being caffeine-deprived for long enough I finally had to ask where they keep the coffee cups.

• Because Protiviti is a consulting and internal audit company, I haven’t worked in the office. However, the firm assigns each intern with a peer, career and executive advisor with whom I’ve met with and they have provided me with pertinent information about the company and full insight regarding all of the basics. In addition, Protiviti sends all of the US interns to Orlando for an event called ‘The Intern Challenge’ where they condense a real project into a 10-day program to prepare us for client work. The main questions I find myself asking and struggling with is the time and expense documentation. As a consultant firm, we travel and take clients out quite frequently and there are separate codes and procedures to follow for every process, so I constantly find myself asking which specific code follows the action.

• With Lockheed Martin being such a large company (125,000+ employees) many of the members of my team work at other facilities throughout the US. Its been a learning experience to work with people you’ve never met face to face but work on many of the same things you are working on. Lockheed Martin is also highly dependent on Microsoft tools such as Visual Studio, Outlook, Skype, and Microsoft SQL databases. Before my internship started I had never used any of these tools, so working out how they function (Visual Studio primarily) has been a learning experience with a lot of trial and error. Lockheed’s Owego, NY facility is large to say the least, with nearly 2 million square feet of space there is certainly a lot to explore. Thankfully, there is an indoor walking path that guides you around the major areas of the facility and gives me the chance to see some things that the facility has to offer that I would not have known about otherwise. This past week I found a on-site fitness center on one of my walks that I would never had known about otherwise.

• Similar to what many of my fellow interns experienced, I had to quickly learn how to use new software such as Outlook and online meeting tools. As someone who organizes their entire life using Google tools, making the switch to Microsoft Outlook was met with some resistance. However, the features found in Microsoft Outlook became quite intuitive to use after the first few days.
    Figuring out how to use the online meeting tools was far less intuitive because it involves many different devices. Between figuring out if I was being heard when I needed to be heard and making sure I was on mute when I needed to be quiet, and discerning if I was able to see what was being share, the first few meetings were certainly bumpy. Adjusting to the social aspect of attending online meetings as opposed to face-to-face meetings was also a challenge since the type of feedback received differs depending on how I interact with others.
    One of the most important things I’ve had to figure out on my own was how to download software. Some software can be downloaded by simply looking in a utility tool that is part of the Windows menu, but other software needs to be requested by “purchasing” it through an online portal. From the online portal, it is possible that a manager may have to approve the purchase especially if the software is expensive. To me this seemed like a lengthy process just to download a new software, but I understand this is the safest and most cost effective method for such a large company.
    Lastly, health and wellness is an important part of my company’s culture. The company offers an on site fitness center, which I am happy to take advantage of. But like any time attending a new gym, I found that there were new processes and etiquette I had to learn. For example, it is necessary to sign up in the morning to reserve a spot in a fitness class that takes place over lunch. The employees that work in the fitness center are very helpful and motivating, and overall the fitness center is a very welcoming environment.

• Like many other interns at PwC, I had to quickly learn how to use some new software. I was going through my internship I also noticed that pwc employees use a lot of acronyms which I absolutely had no Idea what t hey were. However today I got to work on my first client and was able to get some hands on experience, and understand some of the acronyms used in the work. One thing that surprised me a lot is that at PwC they do not expect us intern to know anything. They know we do not know anything about how they work, so they help us to learn throught hands on experience, and make themselves available to answers any of our questions. I was pretty amazed by how helpful the people are. I did not expect them to be so helpful. I also had some hard time finding my way around the office, when I would look for someone’s desk number, or even my own desk. We do not keep the same desks everyday and we have to check into a new desk and book it for the day everyday we come into the office. It was pretty confusing at first (still is) since the office is really big, but I believe with the time I will get used to it.