MIS 3581, Summer 2016–Laurel Miller

Discussion Question #5: Classroom Knowledge….

What have you learned in the classroom that you have leveraged in your internship?  Please respond by commenting to this post.

Please check the gradebook to see if you are missing any assignments.  You will have a NO if I have not received it from you and it is past due.

31 Responses to Discussion Question #5: Classroom Knowledge….

• There are three courses that automatically came to mind when I read this question; Enterprise IT Architecture, Digital Design and Innovation and Business Communications. As a consultant, being able to effectively communicate with your project team and client is paramount. Also, I think everyone can agree that acknowledging/meeting deadlines is one of the most critical parts of any internship or job. Within my first two weeks of the internship with Protiviti I quickly realized how important of a skill I learned writing Doyle’s flash papers in Enterprise IT Architecture. Most tasks that I work on day-to-day are extremely time sensitive and it’s important that findings are clearly outlined and explained in an effective and concise manner.
    The skills I learned in Business Communication are reflected daily during emails I send to project members and to our clients. Emails must be clearly written or else the request can easily go unnoticed or discarded. Finally, because I’m working with a consulting firm, Digital Design and Innovation has prepared me for being able to effectively communicate with a client, especially during the interviewing phase. Our team constantly finds ourselves reviewing and updating the client about new material. Being able to effectively ask questions, listen to the responses, scope and deliver results are some of the most valuable skills when dealing with a client. Effectively leveraging these skills during my internship have ultimately helped me gain good rapport with my coworkers and our clients.

• I believe most of the knowledge I have gained from my college courses is applied in one way or another at my internship. The classes that I have applied the most are Business Communications, Data Analytics, Accounting, and Enterprise IT Architecture. I am constantly utilizing the material I have learned from these classes at work. Business Communications and Enterprise IT Architecture has helped me improve my communication skills as well as teach me how to consolidate my writing. In the corporate world, people do not want pages and pages of writing to get information across. All writing must be concise and tell the readers what they need to know. I apply knowledge from Data Analytics and Accounting to access data, understand charts, and evaluate numbers. These classes have helped me the most in terms of applying classroom knowledge.

• The courses that leveraged the most in my internship are Digital Design and Innovation Studio, Data Analytics, and Business Communication. Digital Design and Innovation: All the tools we learned to use such as Scope document, Core requirements, Swim lanes, Risks factors, As-Is Vs. To-Be, etc. All of these tools that we learned to use were ultimately the drivers of the internship. As a Business Analyst, these tools are used on a daily basis to successfully accomplish a project. Data Analytics is another course that helped me through my internship by leveraging the skill of SQL and analyzing the big data to make sense. At Subaru of America, we used the Procedural and Query language of PL/SQL which is somewhat similar to SQL that we learned in Data Analytics. For the Data analysis, we used Excel to analyse the data in both the class and at work. The last class that leveraged the most is the Business Communication class because communicating in a professional way is a very significant factor in the corporate world. Communication should be practiced in a very short and compact way with meaningful information. All of these classes have helped me to get where I am today, but these three classes have leveraged me the most in my internship.

• For my internship I commonly refer back to things I learned in class even at the mot basic level. Juggling school, work and a social life has given me the tools to do the same things this summer and be able to prioritize my work load. My time management skills definitely have improved my overall time at my internship. I use the skills I learned in intro to MIS almost everyday. We are constantly making swim lane diagrams and mapping out processes in different ways. I also use my knowledge from my excel class to make tasks much easier for myself. Accounting and economics also seem to come in handy a lot of the time as they are basic business principals that can be applied to any business and are very helpful to understand the full picture of the way the business is run.

• I have learned a lot of skills in the classroom that I have leveraged in my internship. Data Analytics has tremendously helped me since I started my internship because one of my first assignments was to execute a SQL query in order to determine the relationship between the sales velocity of a particular vehicle model and the amount of accessories in the vehicle. Having already learned SQL in the classroom made it a lot easier to understand at the internship and probably a lot quicker than normal. Another class that was valuable was Business Communications, where I learned the proper way to communicate in a business setting whether by email, speaking in meetings, on the phone, etc. So far, I feel as if my classes and future career are going to line up nicely and I’ll have a smooth transition from college to work life.

• I’ve leveraged the information I learned in MIS 2101, 2501, and 3504 in my internship. The foundation information I learned in 2101 equipped me to understand the company I work for: what it does, what it sells, where it stands in the IT industry, and where it plans to go. The information I learned in 2501 has helped me think more strategically and find ways to do things better. The skills I gained during 3504 have been the most helpful during my internship. I’ve completed a project scope, conducted a current state system assessment, created prototypes, and offered practical system solutions to my manager. I’ve also leveraged other skills I’ve developed while in business school. Business communication has been paramount to my job. The professionalism I developed during my Business Communications course has helped me create a respected reputation for myself.

• Information from Data Analytic, Enterprise IT Architecture, Digital Design and Innovation, and Business Communications have come into play at work on a daily basis. Starting with Data Analytics, the skills I learned in excel are what I leverage most commonly. Checking on my work with pivot tables and keeping track of a database is what I mainly do with excel. IT Architecture is used when I work with my team on the 2017 technology budgeting. On many occasions I have used my skills of research to figure out what the technology is all about and then I usually write a one pager in PowerPoint to address what we call the “One Big Thing”, which means why we should do this (cost/benefit). Digital Design is used every week when working with our consulting team. They create more swimlanes and business cases than I have ever seen and I help to adjust them and make sure they are addressing what we want to be seen. And finally, in all businesses we use communication so the information I gathered in BizCom about email and presenting has come in handy.

• Business Communications has really allowed me to excel in my internship working in IT Audit. Having the technical skills to preform the testing is important, but if you can not clearly write how you completed the testing and document the work, then it is relatively useless. When I am writing a conclusion in my testing grid or completing my sampling template I constantly have Dr. Andrew’s voice in my head saying revise and concise. Making sure my writing is concise, clear, and efficient is critical for getting L1 review and approval from our external auditor (EY) for SOX work.

• Hi Philip!

Although I try to put this course out of my memory, I also find myself relying on the skills I learned during it. Working with technology is often exponentially easier then explaining it. Communication is probably the most important factor to project success many times. Great ideas can go to waste if they can’t be explained concisely, thoroughly, and in detail. Writing and communicating with the different levels of a company is a difficult task and must be adjusted accordingly, yet the same skills learned in Business Communication transcend the difference in levels. Everyone wants there information as quick and detailed as they can get it while being easily consumed. I find myself always reviewing communications multiple times to make sure they’re communicating the correct tone and quality.

I don’t deal with any SOX documentation as I work with small and medium sized companies. How much time do you invest in writing documentation that is to this standard? Undoubtedly this documentation slows process innovation, but do you think there is a way to accommodate this process and find innovations that smaller companies do?

Have a great week!

• MIS 2101 and Financial Accounting 2101 are the two classes in which I use the most information from in my internship. In MIS 2101, we learned how to make swim lane diagrams and entity relationship diagrams in class to document a process using a given narrative. I introduced the concept of these process mapping diagrams to my boss, and he thought it would be a great idea use these diagrams to map the processes and procedures of one of our clients, a small startup web development company to audit their general business processes for receiving requests, invoicing, etc. I was able to interview a couple of the Project Managers to get the information I needed to form a “narrative” like the ones we were given in MIS 2101. I then pulled apart the narrative and mapped out their processes for their banner and web maintenance services and presented them to the company CEO with my insight as to how the processes could be made more efficient and where I found there to be bottlenecks. I also use the basics of accounting that I learned in financial accounting everyday at my internship. I enter payroll and sales invoices into the company’s cloud accounting software in the appropriate debit and credit columns. Working for a startup and using information that I have learned in the classroom and applying it in real life to be successful at my internship has definitely been an extremely rewarding experience.

• Business Communications – Learning how write better emails, make better powerpoint slides, and give better presentations are all transferable skills that have greatly assisted me in my internship this summer, and without a doubt will come in handy in the future as well.

Financial and Managerial Accounting – Two classes that gave me foundational knowledge of how a business is run made it easy for me to understand Cigna’s business model, and some of the back-end financial decisions that are made.

Data Analytics/Information Systems in Organizations – I’ve used my ERD skills with one of my back-end developers to help map out what the database of the application we are developing will look like. Additionally, sifting through large excel spreadsheets is now a piece of cake.

I haven’t taken the course yet, but from what I’ve heard, a lot of the work I’m doing as a Project Manager is similar to what is taught in MIS 3535.

• Two of the key things I have learned in my classes that I leverage in my internship are communication skills and analysis of data. Business Communications specifically taught me how to write concisely which is very important when writing up audit issues and reports to CEO’s and CIO’s who don’t have much time to read a large document. Business communications also helped me conduct interviews and give presentations with the clients. As for analysis of data, the Data Analytics course taught me how to deal with and draw conclusions from large amounts of data. Additionally, I have been able to create various pivot tables to better analyze the data.

• MIS 2101 and Financial Accounting 2101 are the two classes that I leverage the most in my internship. For instance, in MIS 2101, we learned how to construct swim lane diagrams from a given narrative to map out a process. I introduced this concept to my boss, and he thought it was a great idea. I was able to construct multiple swim lane diagrams for one of our clients, a small start up web development company in need of establishing SOPs. I interviewed a few of their project managers about their processes for receiving requests and invoicing customers to gather information for a “narrative,” and then picked it apart in order to build the diagram. I then presented the diagrams to the company’s CEO and identified where I felt there were bottlenecks or inefficiencies in the process. I will be doing this again for future clients. I also use financial accounting almost everyday at my internship. I enter payroll and sales invoicing data into the company’s cloud accounting software putting the values in the appropriate debit and credit columns. Additionally, I also use some of the information I learned in HRM, such as soft skills, how to network and follow up, and general communication skills. Being able to use information that I learned in the classroom to be successful at my internship has been an extremely rewarding experience for me and I look forward to continuing to build my knowledge base in the future.

• The first class that comes to mind is, MIS 3504. At Comcast they make all the interns participate in a group project. Our project sponsor asked me to do be the project manager. When I heard project sponsor and manager, I immediately got chills. 3504 was the most work I put into any class. I was apprehensive in taking on the role but I said what do I have to lose? Nothing. Stop being lazy Mike and take control. Everything I learned in 3504 can be applied to this project. The good thing is that I don’t have to prototype. Most my team has a lot of coding experience. Moose really pushed us hard to get us to be critical thinkers and operate outside the box. I feel confident that I can apply what I learned this past Spring here at Comcast and deliver a stellar product.

• What I’ve learned in MIS 3504 has been tremendously helpful thus far. Most of what I do here at Astrazeneca is project based, so knowing the framework of how teams are comprised and what the roles are has been good to know. I also deal with a lot of use cases and the systems development life cycle. Data Analytics has been helpful as well, as while not actually writing SQL statements, it’s been important to understand the capabilities and limitations of the language. I haven’t taken business communications yet, though I’d imagine it’d be helpful, but English 802 helped improve my writing skills a lot, and I find myself having to write quite a bit with this job- creating powerpoints, instructional manuals, descriptive emails, etc.

• There are three classes that have proven extremely helpful during my internship so far; Data Analytics (MIS 2502), Digital Design and Innovation (MIS 3504), and Enterprise IT architecture (MIS 2501). Data analytics furnished me with a lot of the skills I am now leveraging now for my internship, the most important being SQL. At Lockheed Martin I have used SQL on almost a daily basis, and much of my job revolves around gaining insight through the data the company collects, and performing that task is impossible with SQL. Digital Design and Innovation has provided with skills in Business Analysis and team dynamics that have proven immensely relevant to my current position. And finally Enterprise IT architecture gave me the skills to think agilely and to research technology and its capabilities on the fly. This has proven quite important as I familiarize myself with technologies I have never worked with before.

• During my internship I have been able to leverage my knowledge from multiple MIS courses as well as some of the core accounting classes. From MIS 3504 I am able to help understand what is in and out of scope for the areas that my team is auditing. It was also helpful when preparing interview questions as well as client interviewing to understand the client’s needs. In addition, MIS 3535 was helpful, I was able to use Microsoft project to track the team’s tasks as well as the budget. Finally, the accounting classes helped me understand the acumen used in the office. I have also been able to use knowledge that I gained from the MIS case competition. I able to identify risks and understand the level of the risk can have on the business and what can be used to mitigate risks through the use of controls.

• During my internship I have used information that I learned in Business Communication, Digital Design and Innovation, and Enterprise IT Architecture. As I continue to gain more exposure to the business world the importance of effective business communication continues to grow. After taking business communication I find communicating with other employees very easy and am comfortable doing so. At Crayola, I attend weekly project meetings and have been exposed to a lot of team based settings. Digital Design and Innovation provided me with the skills to understand the steps and process in finishing a project. And Enterprise IT Architecture has helped me in with on-demand research and “flash” writing. Often times I will need to prepare something for my manager and writing the “flash” papers for this class has helped me remain concise while still being thorough.

• During my internship, I have been able to leverage many key skills from the classroom, most specifically communication skills and use of WordPress. In my internship, I constantly had to communicate with people from all over the world. Being able to understand and communicate clearly and concisely was very crucial in my position. I also would have to meet with my supervisor weekly, and my Business Communication class helped me with writing a brief and being able to focus just on the main points. In regards to MIS 2101, we had to create an eportfolio via WordPress. In my internship, I was managing the organization’s complete website, which is also based on the WordPress. My initial information I learned in 2101 set up a very good foundation and I was able to do more complicated things on the website very quickly.

• During my internship, I have leveraged the knowledge I learned from many courses. The main classes that come to mind are Data Analytics, Digital Design and Innovation, Enterprise IT Architecture, and also Business Communications. I am beginning to do a lot more with data and the material I learned in data analytics helps me a lot; not to mention the SQL knowledge from this class helps a lot as well. Digital Design and Innovation taught me a lot about projects and what they should have and I use that knowledge to make decisions about if a company order/project is successful or failing. Basic info from Enterprise IT Architecture and Business Communications has helped me communicated professionally throughout the workplace and has kept me up to date on IT infrastructure/terms.

• The three classes that I took at Temple is really helping me with my internship with the Federal Reserve Bank are Data Analytics, Enterprise IT Architecture, Digital Design and Innovation, and the Project Management class. In one of the assignments that I was working on, I had to classify the data types of each field that was filled. Because of my Data Analytics class, I already had knowledge of the different data types and did not have to google or learn what they were. I’m also required to research different technologies or job descriptions and write a very short descriptive summary on what I find. My Enterprise IT Architecture class taught me the important of being concise, clear, and highlighting only the important facts. Because of this, I found these types of tasks very easy because the flash research papers really helped prepare me.

Additionally, most of the work I do is Business Analysis and Project Management work, so I found my Digital Design and Innovation and Project Management classes REALLY helpful. I felt very proud when I told my manager I knew many BA terms and was familiar with the different written documents needed for a project (example: Risk Management Plan, Scope Document, Requirements Document, Technical Design Document, etc.). I am required to watch training videos on Business Analysis and Project Management, but I really do not mind because these videos have helped me refresh my knowledge.

• The classes that I have utilized the most in this summer’s internship JPMC as well as last summer’s are Enterprise IT Architecture, Data Analytics, and Data Centric App Development. Last summer I was working in a data center and focusing on networks and hardware so Enterprise IT Architecture helped a lot and was my foundation for the entire summer. This summer, I am working on the consumer side of the firm, but still within technology. I was introduced to MySQL in Data Analytics and expanded upon it in MIS 3501. Although the MIS 3501 SQL content was more focused on web development and paired with PHP, it gave me a building block and basic understanding to the language. I leverage SQL in my internship now, which uses a different syntax than MySQL, but it is easy to adapt and gave me the ability to learn more quickly.
    Enterprise IT Architecture not only helped with hardware and data center knowledge, but helped immensely with communication. When communicating in the workplace, short and to the point is better than frilly descriptions or over explanation.

• During my internship thus far I have been able to use a lot of what I’ve learned in the classroom, especially what I learned in my MIS courses. For example, I have been working with SAP systems immensely in my internship thus far, and the basic knowledge I got from the MIS Intro course has been extremely helpful. Also, the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that Doyle promotes in his 2501 course has helped me to tackle the problems I face on a daily basis. The presentation and communication skills that I learned in the Business Communications course has also been key to my success in the workplace. Finally, the Excel course that we must take as Fox students has been instrumental in my success in my role because I use IF statments and other features of Excel all the time, many of which I was unfamilar with until I took the Excel course.

• This internship really brings out the basic of MIS for me, so the class that I related to the most is MIS 2101. It makes me want to make certain processes and tasks more efficient so as to make more time for more important decisions. The various diagrams we have learnt in MIS 2101 also requires us to think the process in a backwards way. This has actually helped me solve a Asset Allocation formula issue which me and my supervisor were facing. Another class that actually helps me is Digital Design, a class that I am yet to take but I have read about. I am learning about digital design and how it is important especially when it comes to presentations for clients.

• The classes that have helped me the most during my internship at Wells Fargo are Data Analytics, Digital Design and Innovation, and Enterprise IT Architecture.
    Data Analytics- The tasks I’ve been assigned deal with lots of data in Excel, and I almost always have to transform the data in some way so we can easily search through it. I have used my skills that I learned in Data Analytics, specifically pivot tables and various formulas, such as vlookup and concatenate.
    Digital Design and Innovation- During the planning phase of audits, team members often talk with our Line of Business partners to learn more about what they do and how they complete their work. Although I have only sat in on these calls, the interviewing skills I learned in Digital Design and Innovation were useful because I was able to think of my own questions to ask based on my knowledge from class.
    Enterprise IT Architecture- My duties as an audit intern don’t require a detailed understanding of technology, but everything I learned in Enterprise IT Architecture has made my transition much smoother because I understood the basics of servers and physical machines.

• There have been a few specific classes that have helped me grasp topics relating to my internship, primarily MIS 3504, MIS 2501 and MIS 2504. MIS 3504 helped me to understand how to create effective business rules, elicit business requirements, create workflow and swim lane diagrams. I had to all of these things at my internship at my very first engagement, which required me to work with a third party BA to elicit requirements to create business rules. I had to conduct interviews with SMEs and create business requirements for certain billing/finance reports in the future state. Having the knowledge for create effective business rules (using the proper subject vs. starting with the object) really did help me feel confident in submitting my final deliverables. Also, having had prior experience with questioning SMEs throughout the semester helped me ask questions and take useful notes at work. MIS 2504 helped me understand a lot of my engagements holistically because I could see how systems were connected through unique identifiers and foreign keys. Similarly, MIS 2501 also helped me to understand how systems work together, which put systems implementations and controls in perspective. In addition, the practice I got in researching a new technology and writing a subsequent recommendation. I’ve been asked to submit quick, high-level summaries of complex topics for seniors and on client/technology research and being able to write a concise summary is important.

• Two classes from the MIS department that really helped me during my internship were Data Analytics and Digital Design and Innovation. During my work as an internal auditor, a great deal of data is provided from walkthroughs and the client that need to be reviewed and assessed. The skills the I gained from Data Analytics gave me insight on how to quickly sort, filter, and modify excel sheets to represent what I am discussing. Through the vast exploration of Excel, it allowed me to understand and teach myself the fundamentals of VBA within excel to introduce macros into the projects that I create. From Digital Design and Innovation, the constant reminder of being a consultant introduced me to how to listen and take notes effectively while also understanding key industry terms. The amount of times we use terms such as “clients, prototypes, and subject matter experts” makes me more comfortable as I hear them within my daily meetings and conversations. An internal auditor at Wells Fargo plays a very similar role to what we did as consultants in 3504 except we are looking to rate the system as being effective or ineffective, and determining if a new solution is required based off of our findings. Lastly, Business Composition from the Fox School helped me greatly in that the majority of my communication at Wells Fargo is done virtually. I am constantly finding myself working side by side with people on the west coast and my only communication with them may be via email and instant message. Business Composition reminds me to remain professional and how to write effectively to ensure I am taken seriously.

• The classes that have been really helpful for me during my internship at PwC are Data Analytics (MIS 2502), Digital Design and Innovation (MIS 3504), and Enterprise IT Architecture (MIS 2501). One of the most important skills I have learned and that I am using for my internship is SQL. My knowledge from the Data Analytics class (MIS 2502) helped me when dealing with data in Excel. For instance, I have already used excel features such as vlookup, and pivot tables. When doing our audits, my team members often organize walkthrough meetings with our client and we interview them to learn more about their process and how they complete their work. The MIS 3504 Digital Design and Innovation class prepared me for that, as we were taught how to conduct interviews with clients. My MIS 2501 Enterprise IT Architecture prepared me to write proper documentations of the walthroughs. Typically we usually write documentations after we do the walkthroughs with our clients. They have to be written in a way that it would be easier for tech savvy and non tech savvy people to understand, and this is exactly what I learned to do in my MIS 2501. (write a short but also detailed enough, precise and properly written paper). Now that I am get to do real work and have real experience of the professional life, I realize how much these classes were important. In addition, as one of my classmates highlighted in his comment, everything I learned in Enterprise IT Architecture has made my transition to the real IT world smoother due to my understanding of terms like servers and physical machines.

• Hi Everyone!

Although I work with technology every day being a business system consultant, the classes that I leverage the most are the accounting, finance, and innovation courses. I don’t get to practice these skills all the time as I do with the technology skills I’ve developed, so I constantly find myself relying on the knowledge I learned in these courses to guide me. Many of the business systems I encounter are accounting based software. If I didn’t have the knowledge I gained from accounting and finance, then I wouldn’t be able to understand the concepts at work and what is the proper course of action. The tools I learned in the innovation course weren’t new to me, but the fine details I learned allow me to use them in a much better manner then ever before. Many days a client will have an idea that I must think about different ways in order to find a proper solution. Without the knowledge I gained from the classroom this would be next to impossible for me to be successful.

Have a great week!

• Intermediate Accounting 1 & 2 – The in-depth understanding of financial accounting that these two courses teach is more important than any course in core audit because it directly relates to our work. All the debts and credits I had to learn came into action. Knowing FS statement layouts and line items were critical for obvious reasons.
    MIS 3504 – I always say it’s the skills you learn from a classroom not the material (except financial accounting). The skills you learn in this studio format class are leveraged in various ways. It teaches you client service and how to interact with them which was helpful. Process is important. Learning and thinking about process. Asking good efficient questions in limited time is a skill that was leveraged during my internship from this course as well.
    Business Communication / MIS 2501 – Writing emails is important whether to clients or member of the staff. These courses really helped me become confident in my writing and knowing how to write a concise to the point email. Auditing also requires writing a lot of notes and footnotes and it was very important.
    Auditing – I was auditing so the auditing class definitely helped. Although not as much as you would think. Remembering some of the terminology and writing skills taught was helpful but limited.
    MIS 2502 – Dealing with data is difficult especially unorganized randomly put together data from clients. Many of the tricks and skills taught in this course are so helpful in dealing with these issues.

• Throughout my internship, many skills I learned in my classes have proved to be quite useful. For example, I run many SQL statements in many different software and programs. Although modifications are occasionally required depending on the software I’m using, the basic knowledge of usage and structure of SQL I learned in Data Analytics are extremely useful to my work.

I also frequently use statistical concepts very similar to those taught in Data Analytics and in the Business Statistics course in Fox. Even though I don’t use R like in the Data Analytics class, many of the concepts are pertinent to the MATLAB appplication.

Furthermore, swim lane diagrams and the diagrams created in Data Analytics are very similar to the mapping I did in the IT architecture department. The software used by my company is quite more complex, and there are additional steps but the concept of mapping an organization from an IT architecture perspective was the same. I was able to adapt to the new mapping technology quickly because of my previous experience in those classes.

I also had opportunities to put my Microsoft Excel skills to use.

Lastly, knowledge about organizational structure, legal and compliance concepts, and basic knowledge of IT infrastructure has aided me greatly.