MIS4596 Sec 001 Fall 2018

Information Systems Integration – Messina

Can a wearable enable you to control your dreams?

can a bracelet really let you control your dreams instadreamer press 5

Instadreamer is a crowded-funded company that is producing a device they say can let you “take control of your dreams” by inducing vivid, lucid dreaming episodes. That’s a bold promise. Lucid dreaming is conscious dreaming where you are aware that you are dreaming. This gives the dreamers the ability to design the dream events and environments around the dreamer. Lucid dreaming comes naturally to some, (I have had one lucid dream when recovering from jaw surgery and it was nuts!)“The most effective ways to create lucid dreams are to perform regular reality checks,” Jean Rausis, the Instadreamer’s inventor, tells Digital Trends. “Basically you have to make sure that you are in reality all day long, as much as possible. Hopefully that starts to become a habit, and as soon as it becomes a habit you start doing it in your dreams.” That’s where the Instadreamer comes in.

Based on Pavlovian conditioning — like salivating around pizza — Instadreamer serves as a sort of prompt designed to habituate these reality checks. “The device vibrates at various times throughout the day, encouraging the wearer to perform a check. At night, the bracelet picks up on biometric signals, including a person’s pulse and temperature, to detect when they’re experiencing rapid eye movement (REM), the phase of sleep when dreams are most vivid. If the bracelet has sufficiently integrated itself into the wearer’s reality, its nighttime vibrations will put them into a state of conscious dreaming.”

I think this could be exciting but potentially as reliable as traditional methods used to try to entice lucid dreaming. When I had a lucid dream it was terrifying because I knew I was sleeping and couldn’t wake myself up. So this might not be for me. Either way, I think if successful, it could open another door into subconscious manipulation and that is something that could have endless possibilities.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/can-a-bracelet-really-let-you-control-your-dreams/

Can a wearable enable you to control your dreams?

can a bracelet really let you control your dreams instadreamer press 5

Instadreamer is a crowded-funded company that is producing a device they say can let you “take control of your dreams” by inducing vivid, lucid dreaming episodes. That’s a bold promise. Lucid dreaming is conscious dreaming where you are aware that you are dreaming. This gives the dreamers the ability to design the dream events and environments around the dreamer. Lucid dreaming comes naturally to some, (I have had one lucid dream when recovering from jaw surgery and it was nuts!)“The most effective ways to create lucid dreams are to perform regular reality checks,” Jean Rausis, the Instadreamer’s inventor, tells Digital Trends. “Basically you have to make sure that you are in reality all day long, as much as possible. Hopefully that starts to become a habit, and as soon as it becomes a habit you start doing it in your dreams.” That’s where the Instadreamer comes in.

Based on Pavlovian conditioning — like salivating around pizza — Instadreamer serves as a sort of prompt designed to habituate these reality checks. “The device vibrates at various times throughout the day, encouraging the wearer to perform a check. At night, the bracelet picks up on biometric signals, including a person’s pulse and temperature, to detect when they’re experiencing rapid eye movement (REM), the phase of sleep when dreams are most vivid. If the bracelet has sufficiently integrated itself into the wearer’s reality, its nighttime vibrations will put them into a state of conscious dreaming.”

I think this could be exciting but potentially as reliable as traditional methods used to try to entice lucid dreaming. When I had a lucid dream it was terrifying because I knew I was sleeping and couldn’t wake myself up. So this might not be for me. Either way, I think if successful, it could open another door into subconscious manipulation and that is something that could have endless possibilities.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/can-a-bracelet-really-let-you-control-your-dreams/

Univar buys out Nexeo in Strategic Merger

Univor is a company that distributes chemicals and ingredients, while Nexeo is specialized in plastic production and distribution. In a strategic alignment move, Univor bought out Nexeo’s stock. They plan to keep Nexeo’s operations separate from Univor’s, allowing them to stay under their same management. However the strategy behind the buy out is to use Nexeo’s financial systems and central ERP to complete their digital transformation for reducing costs. Univar’s strengths are e-commerce, however they are still behind in creating a unified real-time IT environment. Therefore this buyout is to accelerate their process by buying a similar company with an already in use ERP system.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/09/17/univar-to-buy-woodlands-based-chemicals-and.html

Emerging Tech Will Create More Jobs 2022?

robotics photo

As technology get more advanced, people start to worry that jobs will be lost, and they will be replaced. In the recent years AI and robotics have been popular in businesses and technology. The article says, 75 million jobs will be lost by 2022 by these new technologies, but 133 million jobs will also be created (gozmodo.com). Companies create systems to make processes easier and efficient, trying to take out the bottleneck. So, how will these new technologies create new jobs? The advancement in technology will force new skills to be acquired by the workforce. Some growing skills include analytical thinking, active learning, creativity and declining skills include manual dexterity, memory and spatial abilities, and management of material resources. By 2022, the tasks performed by humans will be 58% and machines will be 42%. This type of automation might hurt the employees and will change the key business processes. IT was created to serve the organizations but is IT going so far that it might hurt the organizations?

https://gizmodo.com/emerging-tech-will-create-more-jobs-than-it-kills-by-20-1829111519

Self-driving car safe option?

Most big name automotive companies have invested in self driving cars. The huge investments that are being made is because AI or self driving cars will take over the automotive industry in the future. The developing of the self driving car is to help driving be more safer and convenient by decreasing the number of accidents occurring, avoid drunk driving, allow long distance traveling to be easier, and etc. Nevertheless will self driving cars be a safer option in the automotive world? Self driving cars like many other AI can be hacked. The vision and collision avoidance systems algorithms are still not fully understood by the companies that are developing self driving cars. Also eventually hackers will find a way to hack many systems of the self driving cars. If hackers do break through, anyone in a self driving cars will be in danger or in control by the hackers. Will self driving cars be a safer option than driving?

source: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608618/hackers-are-the-real-obstacle-for-self-driving-vehicles/

The Race for 5g

As the world enters into the new era of 5g the race to implementing the first full scale 5g network will give a huge advantage over global competitors. The two emerging leaders, the United States and China are battling to implement a superior 5g network and capture these system-wide benefits.  The previous implementation of 3g & 4g showed that the first country to do so gave their economies a huge advantage to develop applications for the future. For example, the Ubers and Netflixes of the world were a result of having a capable network infrastructure. Now with a network that is 100 times faster than 4g, and can allow a million connected devices in a kilometer compared to 1000, the potential is enormous. The system wide implementation of the 5g network is going to stretch across all aspects of society that will create numerous opportunities and advancements to really take society into the 21st century. Autonomous cars, remote surgeries through connected healthcare devices, and the so called “Internet of Things” can all be implemented because of 5g. The greatest thing and unknown about 5g is the innovative applications that currently do not exist because of the limitations a 4g network has. No one really knows the true potential that the ultra-fast 5g network can bring into our society, but it will be a privilege to be apart of it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-being-first-in-5g-matters-1536804360

Virtual Reality in Business

VR headset

As virtual reality and augmented reality become more popular, one question arise: How can they be applied in business? Turns out, just about every field of business can benefit from VR. In the virtual world, our physical senses are limited, but our creativity is not. Currently, VR is being used mostly by the gaming industry, but there are many fields where VR can be beneficial. For example, VR can be used as a marketing tool to help customers interact with the product or service. It is also gaining popularity in training field, ranging from military target training to surgery practices. By using virtual targets, VR allows donors and surgeons to practice their skills and test new tools and procedures safely. This not only decreases risks and medical complexities, it also saves a lot of money in the long run.

The biggest advantage of VR training is that there is no real life repercussions. Surgeons can reset the virtual patient and allows them to practice as many times as they need.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2017/07/31/the-amazing-ways-companies-use-virtual-reality-for-business-success/#7e612d071bae

Software can model how a wildfire will spread

Wildfire photo

The wildfire can be avoided or prevented by the fire-forecasting software. With the data of the area’s vegetation, building materials, paved surfaces, type of trees, paths to the sea, weather patterns, etc., the software can be able to model how a wildfire will spread and announce the fire risks. The data are collected by the satellites and aircraft and the details are contributed by the ranger and firefighter on the ground. The software also contains the data of the area’s temperature, rainfall, snowfall, and sunshine in order to predict how the this wildfire might be changed or be affected. Another model called RHESSys, with the fuel and moisture-data around 800km2 of wildland, shows where is the best to bulldoze firebreaks, cut down trees or clear scrub. Another modeling software called FIRETEC can model how the flames of a planned burn, intended to clear vegetation in a controlled way according to the wind.

However, there are the challenging problems facing the software on its accuracy and the consequences of its failed prevention. Is the software’s calculation trustable? What if the software fails to forecast the fire spread? Can the software able to provide the information in time?

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/manage-your-vault-identities-lp040001

Thinking Beyond ERP

Image result for business intelligence

It seems that in every one of my business and IT classes, the acronyms ERP and CRM are being talked about left and right. Yes, the organizational structures are essential for running an efficient, integrated organization, but what if we think beyond those systems or how we can make them better? ERP does not focus around business intelligence [BI], a delightful and meaningful user experience, or drive a connected communication platform. BI is the propeller behind strategic planning and enables for in-depth analyses with the purpose of generating innovative information. It makes organizations more agile and allows for forecasting. It could essentially be aligned with the data from ERP to drive the analyses. Additionally, ERP has difficulty creating a great, meaningful user experience and that creates obstacles and frustration for businesses. What is stopping them from a great UX?

As ERP is centered around operational processes, can ERP be built for high level analysis along with a great user experience?

https://www.intergen.co.nz/Our-Insight/Smarts/issue-34/Thinking-beyond-CRM-and-ERP/

3rd Dimension of Cyberspace

Internet hacking is nothing new in today’s society and hackers have gained unauthorized access to computers and networks for years. What is becoming more concerning is the new target these hackers have which is cognitive hacking. This involves targeting people’s perceptions and thought processes. They believed this is what the Russians did during the 2016 U.S. presidential election. They created fake social media accounts to distribute propaganda to engage real people, who would then pass the information along to their personal following on social media. Social media companies like Twitter and Facebook have been implementing ways to prevent the spread of fake news by suspending these fake accounts. The best protection against these threats to the cognitive dimension of cyberspace is using your brain to think critically about what you are seeing and examine claims before accepting them as true.

How can we fight against cognitive hacking? I think many people do not even realize they are being subjected to this kind of attack while browsing social media and making posts. We need to inform people of this threat so they are aware and do not get subjected to it.

https://www.livescience.com/63214-hackers-target-your-mind.html