Information Systems Integration – Messina

Risks and Disruptive Potential of Technology in the Service Industry

business photo

As a double major in Accounting and MIS, I am constantly researching how my two fields of study intersect and recently PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) has been following the potential benefits and risks of the anticipated technology trends for 2018 – 2019. With this growing trend of technology being integrated into services firms, there are a plethora of new technologies to choose from. Some listed in this article include the Internet of Things, edge computing, the cloud, advanced data analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. Historically, Tech CEOs and CEOs of all other industries do have varying concerns about threats to their organizations’ growth; but with the current integration of varying technologies into most industries, a lot of these historical threats are now coupled with real-time threats constantly looming over an organization growth prospects. PwC has listed 6 key elements for managing these potential technology disruptions as a framework for all firms and companies alike to use when creating its own “optimal strategy:”

1. Address problems before they become visible to others.
  2. Reflect and improve with agility.
  3. Rethink incentives to promote responsibility.
  4. Work with regulators, not against them.
  5. Build common standards openly and collaboratively.
  6. Seek competitive advantage through integrity.

With technology playing a larger role in “regular business,” do you think it is changing the idea of what business issues are and how they pose threat to prospective growth? Also, can service firms now consider themselves tech companies? To read more details and examples of service firms integrating technology, go to the link below.

Source: https://www.strategyand.pwc.com/trend/2018-technology

One Response to Risks and Disruptive Potential of Technology in the Service Industry

• I really like the 6 key elements for managing these potential technology disruptions. To answer your first question, I believe that technology playing a larger role in “regular business” doesn’t necessarily change the idea of what business issues are at the core. I believe that these same tactics to tackle technology disruptions can be used for any other issues that these businesses face today and in the past. Although technology does create more efficient and effective ways to perform in business (whether it be in operations, finance, or marketing), it still simply creates an urgency to implement the best system and compete with others in the same market. It is something that may take a little longer to understand how to use, but the purpose and strategy of preventing issues is still the same.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *