Information Systems Integration – Messina

Virtual Reality in Business

VR headset

As virtual reality and augmented reality become more popular, one question arise: How can they be applied in business? Turns out, just about every field of business can benefit from VR. In the virtual world, our physical senses are limited, but our creativity is not. Currently, VR is being used mostly by the gaming industry, but there are many fields where VR can be beneficial. For example, VR can be used as a marketing tool to help customers interact with the product or service. It is also gaining popularity in training field, ranging from military target training to surgery practices. By using virtual targets, VR allows donors and surgeons to practice their skills and test new tools and procedures safely. This not only decreases risks and medical complexities, it also saves a lot of money in the long run.

The biggest advantage of VR training is that there is no real life repercussions. Surgeons can reset the virtual patient and allows them to practice as many times as they need.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2017/07/31/the-amazing-ways-companies-use-virtual-reality-for-business-success/#7e612d071bae

2 Responses to Virtual Reality in Business

• I could also see VR being used for meetings. In my experience I worked with developers in India, and the phone calls were at times tough. You couldn’t see their reactions or body language, which makes it tough to analyze how the meeting is going. Using VR would help with this, bridging the distance gap and making the workplace feel more connected.

• My company did actually use VR as a marketing tool to gain press attention. Other companies include both AR and VR for their training process, such as assembling cars and remote trouble shooting. In general, I see that AR and VR will benefit business that requires movement actions from employees like surgeon using their hands or workers assembling machines.