Information Systems Integration – Messina

Can a wearable enable you to control your dreams?

can a bracelet really let you control your dreams instadreamer press 5

Instadreamer is a crowded-funded company that is producing a device they say can let you “take control of your dreams” by inducing vivid, lucid dreaming episodes. That’s a bold promise. Lucid dreaming is conscious dreaming where you are aware that you are dreaming. This gives the dreamers the ability to design the dream events and environments around the dreamer. Lucid dreaming comes naturally to some, (I have had one lucid dream when recovering from jaw surgery and it was nuts!)“The most effective ways to create lucid dreams are to perform regular reality checks,” Jean Rausis, the Instadreamer’s inventor, tells Digital Trends. “Basically you have to make sure that you are in reality all day long, as much as possible. Hopefully that starts to become a habit, and as soon as it becomes a habit you start doing it in your dreams.” That’s where the Instadreamer comes in.

Based on Pavlovian conditioning — like salivating around pizza — Instadreamer serves as a sort of prompt designed to habituate these reality checks. “The device vibrates at various times throughout the day, encouraging the wearer to perform a check. At night, the bracelet picks up on biometric signals, including a person’s pulse and temperature, to detect when they’re experiencing rapid eye movement (REM), the phase of sleep when dreams are most vivid. If the bracelet has sufficiently integrated itself into the wearer’s reality, its nighttime vibrations will put them into a state of conscious dreaming.”

I think this could be exciting but potentially as reliable as traditional methods used to try to entice lucid dreaming. When I had a lucid dream it was terrifying because I knew I was sleeping and couldn’t wake myself up. So this might not be for me. Either way, I think if successful, it could open another door into subconscious manipulation and that is something that could have endless possibilities.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/can-a-bracelet-really-let-you-control-your-dreams/

3 Responses to Can a wearable enable you to control your dreams?

• While I think that this would be a really cool thing, I also see some concerns with such an invasion into our lives. Dreams often reflect things that actually happen or stresses we face, so if a machine can alter these dreams I believe it could have a negative effect on our daily functions. People have been dreaming since existence and something that would alter the way our brain processes our lives could be very costly.

• The idea of conscious dreaming is really cool and scary at the same time for me. It would be really cool to have control over my dream and do whatever I want to in the dream. However I think this will cause alot of problems as well. One problem I could think of is that if people can do whatever they want in their dream then I think some people will get addicted to dreaming and will no longer want to live in the world today. People may start sleeping and not want to wake up to reality which will cause family, government, and etc. problems. I believe this could be a really cool invention if the machine is being used ethically.

• I also think part of dreaming is as a stress reliever. I can see how some people would use this technology for work related tasks. If you are thinking 24/7 about work, what will that do to a person’s wellbeing?