Information Systems Integration – Messina

Drones: Taking Over One Industry at a Time by Enhancing Existing Jobs

Eagle View Technologies Inc. drones fly on the behalf of several insurers, doing inspections for homeowner claims.

Drones are making the retail, insurance, government, corporate, and entertainment industries more efficient. How long will it be until people are not needed to perform the same tasks a drone can, in less time, costing less money? Drones have been an emerging technology for quite sometime now, but the extent of their power is much more immense then taking pictures and delivering items. Did you know that there’s about 110,00 drones used commercially today and it’s expected to increase to 450,000 by 2022? (Nash)

Companies such as BNSF Railway Company and Allstate Corporation are flying drones to keep employees out of dangerous situations during property inspections. Drones are freeing human inspectors, using video to capture detail, augment employee tasks, and detour crime. In the corporate sector, drones are using high-resolution imaging technology to get business done faster and more efficiently. In the insurance industry, natural disaster recovery has been easier to combat through capturing aerial images of flooded neighborhoods. Customers get the insurance quotes they need much sooner.

If drones have created this much efficiency in key industries, what is the next business process they will improve? Could they phase you out of your current role, or an internship role you worked in?

Nash, Kim S. “Drones Deliver Safety, Efficiency Gains.” The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, 19 Sept. 2018, blogs.wsj.com/cio/2018/09/19/drones-deliver-safety-efficiency-gains/.

3 Responses to Drones: Taking Over One Industry at a Time by Enhancing Existing Jobs

• I really like your interpretation of the use of drones in the workforce. I really think drones are going to be fully integrated into our society and it will be truly interesting how they affect our lives further down the line. I am super interested in seeing how the 5g network will be integrated to allow the drones to instantly interact with each other and really take drones to the next level. I agree that drones can make many industries more efficient so it will interesting how many jobs are affected from their emerging technology.

• I actually interviewed with a construction distribution company recently. I asked them what technology they use in their systems, and this was one of them. The photo you posted actually shows it, they use drones to measure home owner’s roofs. With this technology, they accurately measure it instead of sending someone physically up there.

Something the interviewer mentioned though, is a lot of the people in construction are in their 40s and 50s. At that age they will not be controlling a drone, however as the younger generation comes in, I think we will see more drone use (reinforcing your data point 450,000 drones in use by 2022).

• When I was recently home in Atlanta, I saw Georgia Power inspecting a hydroelectric dam and nearby transmission lines on the Chattahoochee River using a drone. While the dam was relatively small and may not have necessitated drone inspection, transmission lines from the dam crossed the river onto a steep, difficult to access hill, covered in vegetation. By utilizing drones, Georgia Power was able to inspect the infrastructure quickly, in under ten minutes from what I saw. I imagine this process would have been very labor, capital, and time intensive in the past, requiring either a helicopter to get the vantage point the drone provided or vegetation clearing machinery to access the base of the transmission towers. I agree drones are great at enhancing the careers of many industries, especially of lineworkers. Drones are useful for routine inspections, as they can quickly assess a situation without any site preparations. Linemen can stay safe while performing their inspection more efficiently. I don’t believe drones will replace lineworkers, as inspections are only a portion of what a lineworker does.