Information Systems Integration – Messina

Emerging Technologies – Wearable Exoskeleton

Hype Cycle click here for full size image.

Every year Gartner produces an annual report outlining their “Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies”. This report and graph shows how promising a technology is expected to be, as well as when we can expect this technology to come to fruition and reach consumers. This graph lists 35 technologies that Gartner believes are of most interest. These annual graphs illustrate a story about each technology that I believe is extremely beneficial for quick analysis. One the more immediately noticeable and interesting technologies is the human exoskeleton, which essentially is a electronically-powered wearable suit that individuals would be able to wear to assists with movement. Gartner expects this technology to be in it’s infancy stage, expecting more than 10 years until it reaches the wider consumer market. The machine suits consists of motors and hydraulics. The potential benefits that could be yielded from such technologies is vast. Positive possibilities such as assisting disabled and elderly people with their daily lives and tasks. However, I wonder if there could be negative consequences to producing powered suits that could increase the strength and endurance of the wearer. I would like to invite others to comment on how this tech could negatively (or positively) affect the world.

Source: https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2018-08-20-gartner-identifies-five-emerging-technology-trends-that-will-blur-the-lines-between-human-and-machine

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovation/robotic-exoskeletons-are-changing-lives-surprising-ways-n722676

Exoskeleton

One Response to Emerging Technologies – Wearable Exoskeleton

• It is interesting how we aren’t even past the “Trough of Disillusionment”. In terms of the exoskeleton, this could be a powerful technology that helps people who are injured lead more normal lives. The potential benefits are vast, I agree. In terms of negative impacts, all I am picturing in my head is the movie Wall-E where humans just don’t move anymore and become shapeless blobs due to technology doing the physical labor for us. I doubt we will reach that extreme, but seeing technology that could enhance the strength of the wearer without having to work the muscles we already does leave that as a potential thought. Or how some may use this in sports as an aid. Is it a fair advantage? I definitely imagine more positives, but the negatives impacts are always something we should consider with emerging technology.