Information Systems Integration – Messina

Augmented Reality in Classrooms

Image result for lumilo glasses in classroom

Augmented reality is beginning to enter classrooms with glasses, called Lumilo that are powered by an app that works with “cognitive tutor” programs. The glasses are to be worn by teachers which give them the ability to see student feedback (without actual communication) as they work on assignments. To illustrate how Lumilo works, students may be working on math problems, and through the glasses the teacher can see smiley faces, question marks, or Zzzzs floating above students’ heads. The icons above the heads may tell who is on track, confused, or not paying attention. The teacher can tap the air in front to pop open a view of a student’s computer or see the percentage of students who mastered the given topic giving the cue to move on to the next topic or help the students with the confused icons.

I defiantly see success with this innovative technology as you have analytics appear in the air in front of you.  It is interesting to see how well teachers will accept and use this new technology in the classrooms especially older teachers, and if students will see a boost to their grades.

How else do you see augmented reality integrated into the classroom, or other aspects of everyday life?

https://hechingerreport.org/these-glasses-give-teachers-superpowers/

3 Responses to Augmented Reality in Classrooms

• This is such a cool application of augmented reality. I know for myself, I hate asking a question in class or mentioning when I am confused. I am definitely, or ‘defiantly’ (this was funny), one to be silent during a class even if I could benefit from letting the teacher know what is going on in my head. This augmented reality app that allows teachers to see the student feedback WHILE working on assignments, without having the student need to verbally communicate in front of their peers, could allow for shyer students to finally communicate how well they are learning a subject without being discouraged. Having a teacher be able to analyze the classroom live and change up how they teach based on student feedback in the moment does sound very difficult from the teacher perspective, but I think this could have a positive impact on classroom education.

• Hi caroline,

I love anything VR and AR related! I’ve actually been working with Duke University to bring VR and AR into classrooms, since they have one of the only VR rooms for educational purposes. I think this app is an amazing ideal, especially with those who are anxious to talk in class or people with disabilities. Growing up introverted, I wish this was around to help me communicate! There are other AR implementation in education already. I know a few apps that are gaining momentum in the education field. For example, one app allows users to do virtual dissections, while another app is used for anatomy class. Students can put on the goggles and remove each bone and muscle and rearrange them to help with learning. I think AR in the education field will be huge in the future once its price becomes feasible. I also think it will be very beneficial for students who are visual learners because it gives them a hands on experience.

• I’m glad to see that AR has become useful in Education now! Like Zoe, I always feel reluctant to raise my hand to say that I’m confused. Sometimes, it is easy for teachers to notice who are confused, but with a big classroom, it is a challenge to keep track of students. This technology will definitely help with noticing and visualizing all students that need help, as well as organizing the help queue.