Steve Jobs Presentation Skills

In class we watched the following you tube posted analysis of Steve Jobs presentation skills.  The analysis focused on the introduction of the I-phone.  A link to the I-phone presentation is also attached.  Please take a few moments to review and express your reaction by making your first class comment.   Instructions are under Course Structure / Participation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJq-thyDF9QI

22 Responses to Steve Jobs Presentation Skills

• Steve Jobs is a genius entrepreneur who captures his audience’s attention with his simple power points and his perfectly placed pauses. After watching Jobs’ presentation, I found that his ability to gauge his audience’s attention and build their excitement on queue made his presentation powerful. The major thing that I took away from his presentation was his ability to make his points in a conversational way. Jobs sold you on ideas by emphasizing logical facts that you do not have to be a technical major to understand. He uses visuals and simply stated phrases that add depth and help the audience retain his words. When I interned at Prudential I was asked to create a power point with my boss about the roles of Incident Managers that was to be presented to the Directors of the Incident Management Department. I told my boss about Smart Art which is a tool available in Power Point. Smart Art allowed us to underline the important points of the presentation and gave us liberty to add as much detail under each point as we saw fit. Like Steve Jobs, we knew that creating a simple slide would allow the audience to turn their attention to what we were saying and help with retention. Presentations are supposed to accentuate the points that you make and not overpower them. Do you agree?

Thanks everyone let me know if you have any questions.

• Steve Jobs’ iPhone launch presentation is powerful because he grabs the audience’s attention with an exciting theme, while using buzzwords, graphics and pictures to help the audience engage with, and internalize the theme. In this presentation, Jobs focuses on the idea that the iPhone is a “revolutionary” product, and structures his entire presentation so that this concept is emphasized as much as possible. For example, in the first 14 minutes of this video Jobs uses the words “revolutionary” and “breakthrough” in reference to the iPhone approximately 10 times (almost once a minute). Jobs also uses graphics and pictures to tell stories that emphasize this theme. About halfway through the video, he uses a concise graphic to illustrate that the iPhone is much smarter and easier to use than any other smartphone on the market. The graphic is incredibly effective thanks to it’s simplicity, in combination with Jobs’ use of enthusiastic adjectives, and his clear explanation that iPhone is a leapfrog product that is changing the industry. Finally, Jobs emphasizes his theme by using pictures to tell a story. For example, when describing how the iPhone’s user interface will change the smartphone industry, Jobs shows four pictures of competing smartphones, verbally highlights their flaws, and then uses pictures to demonstrate how the Iphone’s UI is much more user friendly. Similar to his use of graphics, Jobs makes this portion of his presentation much more powerful by using simple pictures and clear storytelling techniques rather than relying on wordy slides.

• A good presentation like telling a good story. It requires presenter understand the content comprehensively and deeply. therefore, the presenter have to do a lot of work before presentation. Like Steve Jobs, he gave a shape of a new product, and he involved in almost every step of a new product’s developing and innovation. He also compared his products to other products in the market. That allowed him to show his product’s peculiarity. A good presentation is now only showing a products or a idea, but also showing the whole scale of your area or market.

• You can create the best product on the market but if nobody knows about it the product wont sell. Steve Jobs, in an iconic presentation introduced the world to a “leapfrog” product – the iPhone. Jobs began the presentation highlighting Apple’s success using this as a foundation to show the innovation Apple has brought to the world. Jobs then proceeds to say that he will be introducing three revolutionary products that were very well received by the audience and finally upon announcing that these three products will actually be a single product the audiences cheering is deafening. Throughout the entire presentation Jobs captured the audiences attention with short sentences, easy to understand slides and minimal graphics that highlighted the message. Job’s speech was consistent throughout the entire presentation, steady, concise and with just enough pauses to keep the audience wanting more. Furthermore his hand gestures were inviting and pertinent to his presentation. The iPhone was revolutionary but it was Job’s iconic speech that brought attention to it.

• After watching Steve Jobs’ iPhone introduction presentation, I was impressed by his powerful presenting skills. Jobs successfully got everyone’s attention at the beginning and he set everyone on fire when he repeated the three products and said “these are not three devices, this is one device, and it is called iPhone!!”. I think the way Jobs led to the concept of “iPhone” was very effective. He implicated “why there is iPhone and why you should choose iPhone” with a strong logic. After that, he started to introduce the uniqueness of “iPhone” by comparison with the existing smartphones. Jobs used short stories and easy-understand graphics to show why iPhone is a revolutionary product and how wonderful it is. I think a powerful presentation first need a strong logic, then a concise and simplified ppt with images/stats, and lastly, a storytelling mindset and suitable speaking speed with rightly pauses.

• Steve Jobs IPhone presentation was powerful because he immediately captured the audience’s attention with a strong headline by stating the words an Ipod, a phone, and an internet communicator multiple times. This immediately got the audience going and applauding and when he stated how the three of these features will be on one device the crowd looked ecstatic. Jobs did not only have a strong headline to start but he knew how to simplify his explanations so that the audience could follow with ease. For example, he was able to compare the IPhone to other smartphone competitors at the time with a simple easy to use vs. smart chart. Also, Jobs story telling skills were effective when comparing the IPhone to competition because he was able to point out how the smartphones of the time had fixed controls that couldn’t change but the main the feature for the IPhone was that it was going to be an all touch screen. Overall, the first IPhone was a revolutionary device, however, the way Steve Jobs presented it made people excited and wanting to buy the new product.

• Steve Jobs brilliantly incorporates a variety of presentation tactics while announcing the first iPhone. He begins by building suspense for the audience, capturing their attention and teasing them with the ideas of three new revolutionary Apple products. Once the audience is fully captivated in the presentation, and impatiently waiting for the reveal of the first of the three products, Jobs unveils the big surprise, causing excitement and cheering throughout the audience. A successful presenter must maintain control over the audience for the complete duration of the presentation. This control must be established within the first 30 seconds or the presenter may lose the interest of the audience. Jobs further entertains his audience with a spoof design of the iPhone, which not only incorporates humor, but leaves the audience on the edge of their seats waiting for the big reveal. Lastly, Jobs’ slides contain very little wording and simple charts, which the audience can quickly read and easily understand. This tactic of simplicity allows the audience to focus more on the information Jobs is relaying, rather than the words or pictures on the screen. Steve Jobs was one of the greatest presenters of his time and his presentations will be continued to be used as a standard for many years to come.

• Steve Jobs’ presentation was so attractive, even it was a 2007 iPhone presentation; I am still amazed by how powerful iPhone 4 compared with other phones back days. Steve Jobs maximized the power of simplification. Every text and image he used in that presentation makes that presentation strong and easy to understand at the same time. He operated the iPhone 4 during the presentation, which reminds me that we did the same thing during other MIS courses’ final project presentations. For example, in MIS 3502 course, every group operated the final project website in front of the clients. It was much better than just talking through the project. Steve Jobs used pause very well; he left enough time for his audiences to acclaim and released emotions. Many students’ presentations, including me, go so fast without pause, so I do think this is something that we should learn and practice a lot to improve our communication. Besides all of his presentation skills, I believe the most important thing is his passion for his products. I can tell that he enjoyed this presentation so much because he loved what he was doing. Steve Jobs told stories so well, used simplified images and text, and his passion for his products, and those are three main takeaways I learned from his presentation.

• Steve Jobs iPhone presentation showcased excellent presentation skills. I personally liked how he was able to engage the audience throughout his presentation. Jobs utilized skills such as telling anecdotes, delivering enthusiasm, and showcasing visual aids to compliment his presentation. In his introduction, Jobs gave a timeline of Apple’s existing products. I felt that this was meant to remind the audience that Apple has a history of continuously developing revolutionary products and the time of the presentation would be no different. This timeline was apart of the immense buildup that kept the audience engaged for the revealing of the first iPhone. Jobs’ powerpoint slides were also very simple enough to break any communication barriers, giving his audience a visual aid for his presentation. I also noticed that Steve Jobs takes time annunciating his words. Jobs talks at a calm pace and intentionally uses pauses in his speech to add dramatic effect. Overall this was a great example of a sales pitch presentation by Steve Jobs.

• Any presentation from Apple, no matter who is standing in front of the audience, employs good presentation tactics. Their slides are minimalistic and easy to digest, their graphics are beautiful and compelling, and they make a good case against their competitors. However, these things aren’t what made Steve Jobs such a great presenter. In the “Steve Jobs Presentation Skills” video, one of the points they make is Steve Jobs’ smile. More than just a smile, Steve Jobs believed in his products. Every time he was on stage it truly felt like he was committed to his message. If he didn’t think what he was showing was the next best thing, he wouldn’t have shown anything at all. When a presenter is visibly excited by what they are presenting, their audience will tend to feel similar emotions.

• Steve Job’s presentation skills are powerful. He knows how to capture the audience and effectively sell his product. By the end of the presentation the audience understands what the product does and why it is useful. Steve Jobs is effective because he helps the audience understand why this new product is different and why it is revolutionary. He does this using simple text to describe the IPhone’s features. He also repeats phrases to make sure the audience remembers what is important. His presentation did not include extreme graphics, but simple animations to show the audience what the IPhone looks like. I think one of the most successful parts of the presentation was how Steve Jobs proved that the IPhone was better than any other product. He explained what was wrong with current technology and how the IPhone would fix that with an adaptable user interface in an all inclusive device. He was able to convince the audience that the IPhone was the future and popular smartphones at the time were of the past. His entire presentation was simple but extremely effective.

• After watching this Steve Jobs’ presentation my initial thought was that it’s no wonder Apple has a brand attachment stronger than even the likes of Nike. All of his presentation skills mentioned in the previous video, were very clear throughout this presentation as he announced the first iPhone. Steve was very enthusiastic and used humor and stories to engage the audience as he presented, as we saw how excited they were after he introduced even the smallest details. He isn’t just presenting the new iPhone, it could be seen as sales pitch as well because he knew what would capture people’s attention and he was able to communicate his major points in a simple manner. He made Apple products seems like the best in the world, and the first to do what they were doing with the way he presented, the crowd saw how innovative Apple was and it got them interested. His presentation contained little wording and he used great visuals to aid his points as he did all the talking. Overall, Steve Jobs is an excellent speaker and presenter as he was very direct and enthusiastic as we could see from his body language. We could all watch and learn something new from his presentations.

• What a phenomenal speaker. Throughout the presentation, I was focused on how phenomenal he did as a presenter. The slides, his cadence, his humor. You could tell that the audience was with him at every part. Really amazing to watch the original iPhone keynote clip. I watched the keynote of this past year, and after watching this one, I can definitely see why Steve Jobs was so famous for his ability to speak, sell and market the breakthroughs that Apple creates year after year. Everything is extremely well done and meticulous in the detail that goes into the presentation slides timed with his speaking. There is definitely a lot that I can learn from watching and noting speakers such as Steve Jobs.

• Steve Jobs demonstrated his excellent speaking ability at the unveiling of the first iPhone. I was especially struck by the conversational tone and cadence with which he spoke, making the presentation palatable for the audience. He uses simple terms to describe the device so any listener can comprehend it’s capabilities, even someone whom is not technically inclined. Listeners can hear the genuine excitement in Steve Jobs’ voice, and his enthusiasm extends unto the audience, they are captivated by every word and anxiously awaiting every new feature and capability unveiled. The graphics used in his deck are often simple but make a huge impact. The graphic displaying the competing products and their keyboards was a powerful image that emphasized the revolutionary features of the iPhone. I hope to incorporate some of his techniques into my own presentations.

• Job’s delivery and confidence in his product are the drivers of the entire presentation. He also clearly recited what he was going to say more times than imaginable, as the presentation flowed flawlessly. He understands that the product is indeed revolutionary and uses it to his advantage, perfectly integrating humor and other attention-grabbers throughout. I was fascinated primarily by his delivery, as his charisma helped create a model in which I’d like to follow during my own speeches. It must be significantly easier to capture an audience like he did when you are presenting the first iPhone ever created, but nonetheless this presentation was exquisite and is a must-watch for students.

• Apple’s focus has always been simplicity and Steve Jobs not only incorporates this in his products but also in his keynote presentations. Has anyone ever noticed that Apple’s keynote presentations always have the same fonts and themes? The presentations have always been consistent with one another. Even now, Tim Cook still keeps this consistency with a black background and white font. The colors are not harsh on the eyes and doesn’t take attention away from what they are saying. Jobs also does a great job at keeping the same pace when he talks. This is one thing that I struggle with when presenting. I tend to talk too fast and then I either forget what I was going to say next or choke on my words. If I slowed down I would be able to get through my presentations better. There is a lot that can be taken from the way Jobs presents and I intend on using some of these techniques.

• This was a really excellent presentation given by Steve Jobs. Personally, I am most blown away by the “Power of the Pause” that he practices, and his natural sense of humor the keeps the audience engaged. The pauses he takes really does let the viewer absorb what he said, giving him or her a fuller understanding of the first-generation iPhone. Right now, pausing while speaking to an audience makes me uncomfortable. I hope I can make it to Steve Jobs’ level one day and feel confident with each pause. The second thing he did that was so great was act as his normal, funny self. He used natural humor to engage the audience and it worked so well. Every person in that room was entirely hooked. He didn’t seem forced, or even seemed like a stand-up comedian. It felt entirely natural and the best form of comedy for a business presentation. My hat goes off to Steve Jobs.

• Steve Job’s presentation unveiling the first iPhone was very compelling for multiple reasons. The simplicity of visual content on the screen allowed the audience to truly focus on the story Jobs was telling without any background distractions. Job’s excellent public speaking skills made this possible, as he was able to effectively elaborate on bullet points that were generally no more than a few words long. The most engaging speaking tool that he utilizes is by far the “Power of the Pause.” While it seems simple in nature, it is extremely powerful because it demonstrates how comfortable he is on stage and gives his presentation a natural, conversational feel. Being a fairly nervous public speaker, I tend to speak quickly at times so that element really impressed me.

• The advice in the video is very powerful. The most appealing aspect of Apple products or the bran, in general, is around sophistication. I think the best advice that one can take from this presentation structure is around keeping it simple and clean. It is vital to have everything flow and keep it centric to the goal. The greatest aspect of Steve Jobs presenting skills was his ability to tell a story and draw the audience in. Mainly specific to talking my biggest take away to incorporate into my presentations is “the pause.” As we discussed in class and many of the above comments, it’s a very powerful technique to make presentations effective. The pause will provide value in three key areas it gives the audience time to reflect, it gives you time to reflect, and it makes you look like a leader or gives you confidence.

• Steve jobs presentation for Apple’s iPhone showcases his tactics when it comes to public speaking and presenting to a large audience. Steve is able to effectively educate the audience on the capabilities of the product by using simplicity all throughout his presentation. His slides are not filled with words but instead hold short, bulleted sentences that make learning about the iPhone easy and allows the audience to focus more on what Steve is saying. He also engages with the audience in a friendly, humorous way. By cracking jokes and smiling, Steve is making the audience more comfortable, as if they are having a conversation with him. He also uses the “power of the pause” to keep this feeling of a conversation going. By pausing, he is allowing the audience to think about what he is saying, allowing them to form opinions and understand the product.

• Steve Jobs captured the world’s attention by unveiling the iPhone. He did this not only by presenting a never-before-seen product, but doing it in a manner that showed the extent of his intellect. People love to save time. Jobs captures this thought and delivers it in his presentations. He knows his audience, what they want to hear, and delivers all of the complex, “next-gen”, information in a concise manner. I believe that Jobs’ best tool in his belt, is his love for what he is presenting about. Steve Jobs knew that he was about to change the world forever, believed in his product, and that relayed to his audience. I believe that a person can practice a presentation one hundred times but, if they are not passionate about what it is they are talking about, the presentation can still be poor. I look forward to being able to practice my presentation skills as we begin to construct our class projects.

• Steve Jobs unveiling of the IPhone demonstrated his powerful tactics when it comes to presentations to larger audiences. Many skills he used in the video are important, but the two that intrigued me most were always being enthusiastic about what you are saying and the power of the pause. Smiling and showing enthusiam in what you speak about is very important when talking to audiences because it shows the emotion of the product or service you are demonstrating. It connects with people and makes for a more comfortable experience. The power of the pause is important because it gives the audience time to really think about what the speaker has said and comprehend the messages behind the presentation. Overall, I will look to use these tactics in future presentations.