Information Systems Integration – Tony Messina

Self Driving Trucks

Truck drivers are responsible for delivering products for companies to our local department and grocery stores, which can be extensive hours for trained drivers to travel. There have been occasions where these drivers have got into accidents because they were either tired or couldn’t slow down in time because a car jumped in their lane with not enough space to stop. There are those that feel that they can eliminate this dilemma by having computers replace these truck drivers and reduce the number of accidents occurring. The article states that most companies are now testing self-driving trucks and could be available in the next 5-10 years.

For people like us in this field that pay attention to IT trends, we often see that technology is going to replace most of these low-skilled jobs in the near future. But I personally do not feel like truck driving is a low-skill job, being that I have family that drives trucks. The process to get your truck drivers license is rigorous. Not just anybody with a regular drivers license can drive a 18-wheeler. Unfortunately, this will not stop people from creating technology to replace any job if it can prove to be more safe and less costly. As IT gets more complex, no job is safe outside of this field.

Would you guys agree?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603493/10-breakthrough-technologies-2017-self-driving-trucks/

One Response to Self Driving Trucks

• I do agree that obtaining a commercial drivers license is not an easy thing and I wouldn’t classify those drivers as low-skilled because it’s so much that these drivers have to pay attention to on the highway with thousands of small cars. Technology is said to better jobs and companies but recently, with the creation of robots as consultants, robots used to help with the shopping experience and drone’s as taxis, it seems like they are trying to put people out of there jobs. But can a self-driving truck really operate more efficiently than a human driver? It seems like this will make the human drivers driving experience more different. They now have to pay more attention to the road just in case something does occur and they need to take over the truck again. It’s always said that self-driving cars will decrease the number of accidents but are these situations tested to know that accidents will decrease. The self-driving trucks need to be tested using cars jumping over in front of the truck so that we can see how it reacts. I know that they did test a truck on the highway and the truck made it to its destination but maybe that day the truck didn’t encounter the accidents that could happen or was faced with a different decision. There are still many faults with the self-driving truck but I have no doubt that the problems will be figured out within the next 5 years. For right now, self-driving trucks still require drivers to be onboard so the fear of losing their job is very low.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *