Uber for Trash? Tech hits Waste Management

https://technical.ly/philly/2018/02/07/recycle-track-systems-uber-for-trash/

Waste management, an industry that is not dominated by tech improvements, is catching up and one can now request their trash to be picked up. Known as the “Uber for Trash” Recycle Trash Systems has set up an office in Philly and is available to pick up trash. Mostly, the company works with business but is available for individual users as well.

It’s an interesting business model and operation that they have going. For one, I am shocked to see that it is a thing. But also, it is wonderful to see that there are improvements being made. Just earlier today, I was thinking about how trash collection in a city is an extremely difficult task. My trash, along with everyone on the 1100 block of Snyder, has sat outside for the previous two days because the pick up must have been delayed. Now, none of us have called for our trash to be picked up through the app. But, I think that it shows that innovation and changes are coming in every industry.

Does tech matter? Of course! And this goes to show why. Tech has the ability to change systems that have been set in place in years that work but are far from perfect, like trash. It will be exciting to see what this company creates in the future and what grows off their work. A system of trash pick up that works for the people directly when needed? Wouldn’t that be wonderful!

Thoughts?

One Response to Uber for Trash? Tech hits Waste Management

• Hi Jacob, I found this post to be very interesting as it shows how individuals are leveraging technology in attempt to disrupt any type of industry, even the most traditional ones such as waste management. Your anecdote about delayed trash day definitely relates to me, as I constantly feel like trash collection is a few days behind on my block of Gratz Street. Particularly in urban areas, waste management services tend to be rather unreliable and I think that Recycle Trash Systems has something special going for them. The convenience of this service is undeniable and can potentially even help with pollution in a city. For example, if I had a party for Super Bowl Sunday and my waste management service didn’t collect trash until the following Wednesday, I would much rather be able to call a service to take the trash on Monday rather than have it sit on the curb or even in my house for the next couple of days. However, I was curious about how an Uber-like WM service would operate from a business/financial perspective but I suppose that’s still to be determined.