In-Screen Fingerprint Phone

Vivo, a smartphone brand owned by the same company behind Oppo and OnePlus, has announced the X20 Plus UD, the first ever smartphone with in-screen fingerprint scanner at CES 2018. Vivo X20 UD came with a 6.43-inch full HD+ OLED display with an 18:9 aspect ratio. It was using an OLED panel because the Synaptics tech relies on that type of display for the fingerprint scanner to work. The scanner underneath actually peeks between the pixels to identify the fingerprint.

In MWC 2018, Vivo showed its second in-screen fingerprint concept phone, Apex, has a ‘half-screen’ fingerprint scanner and a retracting selfie camera. The lack of bezels also means there’s no space for a conventional earpiece speaker. Therefore, Vivo’s approach here is to vibrate the entire screen itself like a speaker — you can still hear phone calls without holding the device to your head.

On March 19, 2018, Vivo announced the lunch of its third in fingerprint scanner smartphone, X21 Plus UD.

Do you think the in-screen fingerprint scanner smartphone is trend?

5 Responses to In-Screen Fingerprint Phone

• I think the in-screen fingerprint scanner on the smartphone is convenient and it is definitely better than only having one location on your phone to unlock the lock screen, however, I don’t know if it will be a trend that catches on because of the advances in facial recognition technology. For example the the iPhone X can be unlocked with your face now as opposed to a fingerprint scanner and that is faster and more convenient for users. I like the idea of a in-screen fingerprint scanner, but because of the advancements in facial recognition technology I don’t think it will become a huge trend.

• Hey, Shihao. Really cool post, and I enjoyed the Vivo concept phone video you included as well. I think our phones will only become more and more central to our everyday lives as phone manufacturers discover new ways to secure the information behind those screens. As Shane mentioned, face recognition seems to have taken the limelight recently with the iPhone X. I think it will be interesting to see what method will be adopted and used more in a few years down the road. While I haven’t tried the iPhone X facial recognition, it seems like it would look like I was trying to take a selfie every time I wanted to unlock my phone. For me, the in-screen fingerprint scanner seems to be the easiest and most intuitive way to unlock the phone.

• Hi, Shihao:
    Great post! I agree that button-less is the trend. and I think in-screen fingerprint is pretty cool. I can use a bigger screen phone with this technology. I barely can able to hold my phone when I move my short thumbs to reach the home button, but in-screen would be much more convenient and easy. With all the phone and computer is making thinner and lighter products, it is a good movement. The question of this technology is how accurate it can be comparing to the regular home button?

• This is super weird. It must be built very carefully so there’s nothing else to accidentally being touched when using the touch pad. That said, it’ll probably take away essential space in the middle of the phone. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

• This is a really interesting concept. I’m excited to see the ways they’ll provide security towards phones since finger prints and face recognition are at the forefront right now. It seems like the phone is pretty sensitive though to touch. I feel as though a regular home button like on the iPhone is just as simple and doesn’t need to be in the middle of the phone.