Drugs and Technology

People’s continued trust and usage of technology can lead to harmful consequences, especially in the case of prescription pills. Most people have a number of health care providers and the problem that arises is the incompatibility between the systems (i.e. a cardiologists office and a dermatologists office) when systems are incompatible, communication errors occur. In 2010, a study conducted found that 651 patients in a hospital accrued over 300 errors in their medication list; many of them able to be harmful.

This article talks about a fictional system MyRxCloud  “a cloud-based, free, ad-free, voluntary, nonprofit mobile app (also available online) that can exchange information with existing electronic health records and does nothing more than keep accurate lists of all patient medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, implants, nutritional supplements, IV solutions and injectables, such as insulin and heparin.”

We have talked many times in class about technology system upgrades within a company  but what about a technology system upgrade in an entire industry? Do you think its possible that a single system could run through all hospitals and clinics to minimise technological incompatibility? What incentives would convince these institutions from changing from their current system?

nytimes.com/2018/03/17/opinion/do-not-read-this-editorial-while-walking.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftechnology 

One Response to Drugs and Technology

• I so hope that, one day, the US adopts a single system for the entire healthcare industry. I’ve learned a ton about the inconsistencies in the healthcare field over the past few years, and I can see how detrimental they are. I think the MyRxCloud is simple, worthwhile, and easily accessible to patients in the form of an app. It’s so often overlooked, but this is important; a lot of Americans take many perscription drugs, and all of their healthcare providers need to be aware of it. I really like this idea, and continue to hope that the entirety of our healthcare industry can adopt a single system to provide care for patients.