Instructor: Aleksi Aaltonen, Section 002

The Industrial Internet of Things

The Internet of Things consists of a network of different machines and devices that allow for a flow and collection of data without the need for human intervention. These connections are established through sensors and embedded processors that enable the automation of tasks. These sensors and processors are able to collect, transmit, and act on data via WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular methods between objects. Devices communicate with other related devices and perform in a synchronized, precise nature in reaction to the physical environment. These devices include smart home appliances such as Nest products that are able monitor and learn efficient ways to heat homes. Nest thermostats are able to keep records of users’ actions and create an appropriate routine based on the data it collects, as well as sense when the user is at home or out.

Overtime, the amount of data that will be collected through smart devices will be abundant. It is interesting to think about how the acquisition of data seems to be going at an exponential pace, however the ability to manage all of this data remains to be a challenge. Society is on the cusp of its next industrial revolution through a digital transformation, but does it have the capacity to manage this transformation effectively?

internet of things photo

5 Responses to The Industrial Internet of Things

• This is a very interesting topic that I’m sure we will see a lot more of in the future. With things like Amazon Echo and all new smart devices, I think the future of our houses is entirely surrounded by smart devices. This idea of “The Internet of Things” is very cool because it will be interesting to see how all of these devices work together to make something happen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see smart thermostats and thermometers talking to each other to optimize temperature for individual households controlled by something like an Amazon Echo or lights that auto dim depending on the time of day and season with information taken off the internet. All in all it’s a very interesting concept that I think could become very prevalent in the future.

• One major obstacles that needs to be overcome is how do these different smart devices talk to each other. I.e. we do not want to manually configure every single link between, say, 50 smart devices in our home.

• Internet of things are definitely becoming more popular to the average consumer. As a current Mobile Expert at T-Mobile, internet of things has been having a huge incline over past few years. More people are are purchasing tablets, home security, and smart watches. With the rapid increase in sales with internet of things, it is very interesting in seeing other companies entering this market. I’m curious to see what other new innovative devices will be released over the next few years.

• To me the key thing is how these thing are made to talk to each other – is going to be a some sort of hub (Amazon Echo) or can they talk to each other directly in a decentralized fashion.

• Anna, this is such an interesting topic you covered. I agree with you that the data acquisition is at an exponential pace and therefore could become challenging to manage. However, from an organization perspective Internet of Things, or IoT, also plays an important role by connecting multiple devices through the internet, allowing data collection much easier. SAP, for example, connects business network powered by IoT in the cloud. This allows the company to monitor devices while gathering real-time data insights to promote better decision makings and develop new solutions that can align with customer’s needs. Additionally, The National Cybersecurity Protection System is promising to deliver safety capabilities to defend consumer’s data privacy. I am interested to see how these two be balanced in the future and what the outcome of such an important technological advancement will affect our society.