Instructor: Aleksi Aaltonen, Section 002

Apple Plans Major US Expansion.. Austin, Texas Site of $1B New Facility

Apple has announced intentions to build a new 1 billion dollar campus in Austin, Texas. The company has also announced plans to expand to over 1,000 staff in Seattle, San Diego, and Los Angeles over the next three years, while adding “hundreds” of staff in Pittsburgh, New York, Boulder, Boston and Portland, Oregon. The Austin campus will employ roughly 21,000 employees and will undoubtedly become the leading employer in Austin. The campus will be environmentally friendly and have up to 50 acres of open space. Quite a big leap for an “American” company who has always manufactured it’s products elsewhere.

This is undoubtedly in response to critics saying that Apple is not really an American company (because they do the majority of their business elsewhere) and treats it’s workers unjustly. We all remember the scandal in Foxconn in 2010 where 14 suicides were committed at Apple’s factory and dormitory. I wonder if Apple has made modifications to that factory and gave them 50 acres of open space. I’m sure they have, but this move still hasn’t won me over.

More recently, it was discovered that Chinese workers were still being treated unfairly in Apple’s factories. Filming on an iPhone 6 production line showed exhausted workers falling asleep on their 12-hour shifts. This type of issue should be addressed before developing new campuses in the US.

One Response to Apple Plans Major US Expansion.. Austin, Texas Site of $1B New Facility

• The problems with Apple’s mistreatment of their supply chain labor will continue to exist because they are decided to not control their supply chain for cost saving purposes. For that reason who ever apple contacts for labor will also try and cut corners. However I believe this expansion is a response to amazon and other tech companies massively expanding into united states. I believe apple is worried about losing out on major tech talent that would likely go to other companies if they did not expand in US.