facial recognition technology has become a power tool in solving crimes

Facial recognition is not a new technology, but it continues developing, and facial recognition technology already becomes a powerful tool in helping identify people who are criminal. The largest facial recognition database in Florida collects and organizes all the data needs to be used in facial recognition technology. The database is huge, it including all the pictures of drivers’ license, civil photos, even the pictures you uploaded to Facebook. Once you send photos taken from digital cameras, the system instantly produces the 30 closest match faces. Even some people consider if the system is stealing the personal information from social media, and they don’t want to be subject to criminal investigation. However, the system indeed helps police a lot to seeking crime. Do you mind if your drivers’ license will be in this database as a criminal investigation?

5 Responses to facial recognition technology has become a power tool in solving crimes

• Being an international student, I have no choice but to let customs take pictures and fingerprints when entering the United States. Although some people may see these as violation of personal information, I don’t mind it at all personally. My thought is that since I did not do anything illegal, why should I worried about government authorities use my data during the criminal investigation to boost their investigating efficiency.

Besides criminal investigation, facial recognition can dramatically change our lifestyles. Here is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLAtO7RgVM4) that introduce how Alipay may work in China in the future. By using this technology, people do not need to bring cash and credit cards with them, which means that the embarrassing time when people find out they did not bring money at stores will never happen anymore. Not to mention that people will not lose their money and credit cards with facial pay. Although facial recognition technology is still in its beginning stage with some unsolved issues, such as discover real facial information under makeups, it has a very promising future.

• As a citizen, you really don’t have a choice with what the government does with your drivers license picture. I personally don’t mind as I don’t see myself ever committing a crime. However, it seems like it has helped investigation efforts tremendously. If facial recognition can speed up the investigation process, I am all for the technology.

• I also agree that this technology would help increase results within forensics departments. Another huge use for facial recognition is finding missing children who can be extremely hard to locate if transported far away and given new personas. It’s also useful for scanning mugshots and identifying people in pictures of public crowds online. Another reason that was mentioned during the INTERPOL symposium in France, dedicated to facial recognition efforts, was helping airport security realtime identifying anyone of interest or suspicion in the airport. If we have already developed facial recognition software, we would retain better use out of using it for criminal investigations rather than making it easier to unlock our phones.

• I don’t mind my driver’s license being in a database for use in a criminal investigation. A driver’s license is a government-issued ID, so the government has every right to have a record of it. Besides, our driver’s licenses are viewed and scanned at a lot of places, so it is already floating out there in the interwebs. As for facial recognition, this identification technique is quickly going to become popular in our society. Apple is already introducing facial recognition with the iPhoneX, which will allow users to unlock their phones by just looking at their phone’s screen! And if anyone can convince people to do something creepy as hell (but, admittedly, also cool as hell) as allowing a company to scan and store their face, its Apple.I have yet to make up my mind on the technology. I am an advocate for privacy, but I can see the benefits of this technology as well (i.e. for use in criminal investigations). I need to learn more before I can make an informed decision.

• Today, I do not think we have a choice of our driver’s license photo whether in a governments’ database or not. Personally, I do not mind my personal data is in the database since I do not see myself engage in any criminal activity in the future. I do agree that this technology can make our life easier. For example, in China you can pay you bill by showing your face in some stores. Or you do not need a badge to enter a building, the system will recognize your face and will let you in. You do not need to remember you badge anymore and it is also good for the environment. The part I do not like about facial recognition is it has access to all of your data, for example, in this video, after people get into the building with their face recognition, there will be advertisements just based on your preference. Or after you entered KFC, the system will recommend what food you may like based on your information. I do not feel comfortable that all of my information are exposed out there and people are trying to analyze it. Here is a 5 minutes video about facial recognition in China.
    http://www.wsj.com/video/next-level-surveillance-china-embraces-facial-recognition/9ED95BFA-76EF-48DA-A56B-50126AFDDA1C.html