MIS4596-Tony Messina-Sec 002-Spring 2017

Is the Cloud Secure?

cloud computing photo

Our case this week was about cloud storage and document management. I am personally not a big fan of keeping my files “in the cloud.” This article defines the cloud as what we usually think about (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.), but also as Facebook (for pictures) and more.
My personal reasons for not using these services is partially security and privacy, but I also don’t feel like I need them. On the security and privacy front, the article states that most attacks hit traditional servers and not the cloud. I guess they forgot about the Celebgate in 2014. So, these companies hire the best security experts there is to protect themselves and your data. They do their best, but nothing is ever 100% secure. It only takes one small mistake for a hacker to find a way in. The article states that your data is better protected on the cloud because it would be mixed in with everyone else’s data. Which does make sense, but if they do find a way to get data off a Dropbox hack, you won’t be happy if it’s your data being published.

Do you truly trust these companies with your private photos and data?
What would you do if your data was stolen off of your cloud storage?
Did you consider Facebook as part of “the cloud”?

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/insider/where-does-cloud-storage-really-reside-and-is-it-secure.html

9 Responses to Is the Cloud Secure?

• For Kevin’s first question, I would say that due to constantly agreeing to terms and conditions of software, applications, and more, this data feels like it is no longer even our property to use. I feel that if you accept that nothing is private and anything can be publicized, then it is much easier to store these pieces of data with these cloud storage companies. I also have seen how many users these companies have and how much data they contain and I feel that it is nearly impossible to keep tabs on all of this data. I feel that employees of this company have other things that are more important than browsing your private data. This is not stating that they wont, it is just highly unlikely.

• 1. I cannot necessarily say that I trust them, but I really have no choice. Everything nowadays is data driven. Companies need our data, and unfortunately its something that they are going to take and use no matter what we do.
    2. If my data was stolen off of the cloud I would try to emulate repercussions in a law suit to the cloud service that hosted by data. But realistically, how likely is it that I win that battle?
    3. Yes i consider Facebook as part of the cloud. Facebook stores every post and photo you have ever taken. Its’s all saved somewhere. As advanced a company as Facebook is, I’m almost positive its cloud driven.

• To answer Kevin’s first question, I truly do not trust companies like Facebook with my information, but I still plan on using Facebook. I don’t post and interact on Facebook often. I use it as a source of information and event planning. The information I have on my Facebook account, I am comfortable for it to be out in public, but still don’t trust how Facebook uses it. However, other sites like Google, I make sure to skim through the terms and conditions before posting my information.

• Do you truly trust these companies with your private photos and data?
    I would not trust cloud services to protect my personal information due to many incidents such as celebrities icloud being hack and personal photos were released as a result.

If my information was stolen I will have to get the law involved. To potentially go after a lawsuit case in the hopes that, that cloud services will strengthen their security after work.

At first, no. Thinking about it now I would say it is a form of cloud base service, in that they store your photos.

• 1. I agree with the comments above and do not completely trust these companies with my personal photos and data. Like John said, there have been many incidents of iCloud being hacked and personal photos being leaked to the public. Just two days ago, hackers targeted supermodel Emily Ratajkowski’s iCloud. Hackers breached her iCloud and leaked her personal photos.
    2. Like the comments above, if my data were stolen off of the cloud, I would have to get legal services involved depending on the severity of the data that was leaked.
    3. Personally, Facebook acts as a cloud to me. Depending on where the information is stored, it may not be classified as a cloud service.

• 1. I trust these companies to a certain extent (except for Yahoo). I use Google for everything from email, calendar, document sharing, photo backup and texting.
    2. I would understand how my data was stolen and see if it warrants me to switch companies. For an example, the iCloud celebrity hack was due to the cause of celebrities implementing easy to guess passwords (social engineering) and Apple allowing unlimited tries for a hacker to guess a password (lax security policies). Since then Apple has implement a policy to lock an account after several unsuccessful attempts and added 2 factor authentication. You have to make sure to use a service that has strong security measures in place to protect your data.
    3. Most definitely Facebook is a part of the cloud. All the “heavy lifting” of their service is done on server farms located across the world. Take a look! http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2036928,00.html

To go into further detail about question 2, I don’t understand why Temple does not have better security controls in place. All it takes is somebody to put a hardware key logger on a few computers in TECH. What if a student puts a hardware key logger on a professors computer and the stolen credentials are used to view exams or change grades? How long would it take for a professor to notice their account was compromised? I know I sound like a dystopian but this is something that has a real possibility of happening. Temple tried to implement 2 factor authentication last semester but that didn’t work. I enabled it but it never asked me to enter my security key when I logged in thereafter. Would Temple be culpable in not offering a method of making your account more secure and properly educating students about it?

• In today’s day and age, it is challenging to do things the old school way or without the use of technology. With respect to cloud services, they bring a lot of convenience of always having the file in one location that can be accessed from multiple devices anywhere around the globe. I particularly trust large companies with my data to be stored in the cloud because they have immense security standards and are not likely to go under. Granted, it is a roll of the dice when keeping documents stored onto the cloud and nowhere else but it almost seems as if there is no other way other than having the information stored on a personal hard drive.

If my information was stolen off the cloud I would first determine how bad the breach was. I would also examine how the company is coping with the problem and what they are doing to comfort the people that were affected. If the issue is severe enough to the company or me, I might consider storing my information on multiple cloud platforms or making a move to a different service altogether.

I do not consider Facebook to be a cloud service. They are a social media platform that has their own data centers that store all of the user information. They may own all of the posts an individual makes, photos they post, and account they manage, but they are not a cloud service.

• I agree for the most part with everyone where they believe that their information is not fully secure in the hands of these companies but still decide to use it. Data is so important today and everyone collects and stores it. If my information were to be breached, I’m not sure what I would do. There was probably something in the fine print that prevents you from suing these companies in the case that something does happen. Most of us probably did not read the terms of service when we clicked ok and signed up for accounts. I do personally think that Facebook is a part of the cloud because all my posts, photos, and videos are stored on there.

• I also agree with the majority opinion that you can’t 100% trust companies with your data. That said I will continue to have my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro backup daily to the iCloud. Furthermore, I’ll still use Google for my email and the drive for storage of certain documents and photos.
    Facebook is definitely part of the “cloud”. They offer users the ability to leverage Facebook as their repository for photo and video uploads.